NEED HELP p0340

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I keep throwing a P0340 code which leads me to the camshaft position sensor.
I am going to replace the original with an acdelco CPS: 2131557.

Is it recommend to replace the camshaft position solenoid at the same time?
I haven't had any codes related to the solenoid itself but, I did notice oil in the electrical plug when I disconnected it...

Any suggestions?

2003 envoy sle 154,000 miles

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I wouldn't if you're not getting a code for it. I would still pull it out and clean it though. Those are notorious for the screens getting clogged from engine debris.

To remove the crankshaft solenoid, you're going to have to unbolt the power steering pump to pull the crankshaft solenoid out far enough to see the screens at the end of the solenoid. You'll only have to remove the three bolts on the pulley, you do not need to take either of the hoses/lines off of the pump. If you still can't get the power steering pump out of the way, I would pull the air filter and possibly the windshield washer reservoir.

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks Maverick.
I kind of figured that the solenoid would throw its own codes if it was malfunctioning, so I'll stick with replacing just the cps sensor.
Definitely getting a p0340 code and sometimes a dip in idle when coming to a stop.

I did find a how to on pulling the solenoid so I'll refer to that for removal for cleaning.
Do I just spray the screens down with brake cleaner?
Also why does oil work it's way into the plug?
Is it oil that is leaking across the external surface of the body of the solenoid or is it an internal leak through the solenoid?

The oil on the plug doesn't seem to have a negative effect but I dried it out anyway and put a dab of electrical contact grease

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks Maverick. I kind of figured that the solenoid would throw its own codes if it was malfunctioning, so I'll stick with replacing just the cps.
Definitely getting a p0340 code and sometimes a dip in idle when coming to a stop.
I did find a how to on pulling the solenoid so I'll refer to that for removal.
Do I just spray the screens down with brake cleaner?
Also why does oil work it's way into the plug?
Is it oil that is leaking across the external surface of the body of the solenoid or is it an internal leak through the solenoid?

The oil on the plug doesn't seem to have a negative effect but I dried it out anyway and put a dab of electrical contact grease

You can use brake clean, just make sure that you blow the solenoid clean with an air hose or let it sit for 15 minutes. You don't want any brake clean getting into the engine and breaking down the oil.

I'm only guess from deterioration, I'm sure there's someone else that could give you a clearer answer than I.

If the solenoid is going bad you will see the oil on the plug itself. Just by looking at solenoid electrical plug plugged into it you should be able to tell if it's bad or going bad.

Edit: Actually, you have to unplug it and view inside the plug housing to see the oil. I attached an example pic.

Attachments

• VVT-leaking-271x300.jpg
    VVT-leaking-271x300.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 2

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for the pic.
So when I unplugged it, I noticed a pool of oil in that part of the plug where the two pins are - same as in your picture.
I stuffed Kleenex in there to dry it out.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Then you should probably replace solenoid as well. Those are the instructions you'll get for most new solenoids, is to check that plug housing and see if you see oil, to make sure that the solenoid is bad.

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Update:
Installed new ac delco camshaft position sensor
Installed new ac delco camshaft position actuator solenoid due to oil in electrical plug
Cleaned harness side of plug of all oil
Removed throttle body and cleaned
Pulled pcm fuses for relearn

Code is gone and all good now!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online