P0306 - p0014

chagob

Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Check engine light had been on previously for about a week. After my girlfriend got gas the car started driving bad. The check engine light was flashing during this time. We parked the car for a week and yesterday I changed the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and cleaned the throttle body. Started up the car and it's still driving bad, plus check engine light still on and blinking when driving. Went to autozone for a computer scan and got P0306 and P0014. This morning I went to the ABC salvage and got a coil and swapped out coil on cyl 6. Problem still exists. Some of the other things on the autozone printout is vacuum leak, injector fault, high or low fuel pressure. What is probably the next thing that should be checked and how should it be checked. I don't have a vast amount of experience when it comes to diagnostics. Any advice will be helpful. I purchased the coil from the salvage yard, because I don't have unlimited resources to throw at the problem. The coil appears to be in good shape and actually looks better than the one that I removed (I understand looks don't mean everything).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Matt

Dec 2, 2011

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Driving much at all with a flashing SES light runs the risk of sending unburned fuel through the exhaust to be burned in the catalytic converter. That can damage or clog the cat. After you solve the other issues, you'll have to be watching out for signs of a bad cat.

The code should have been pulled when the light first went on before it started flashing, but you know that now. See if you can get a complete list of the exact codes. Sometimes there's a clue in the combination of codes coming at the same time.

Worst possibility is a bad cylinder (valve/rings) causing poor compression. If you have a compression tester, use that along with your other experiments. Also make sure the bolts are tight on the intake manifold. They have a habit of getting loose, causing vacuum leaks.

chagob

Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Thank both of you for your help and advice. First thing I want to say for anyone who works on their own vehicle...Invest in an OBD scan tool. If I would have had this when I started it would have saved me time and money. The coil from the junk yard was bad. I found this out by following procedures on May03LT Trailblazer Misfire DIY diagnosis. I bought a bluetooth scanner and followed all of the steps on May03Lt youtube video and found out that the coil was bad. Went to autozone and purchased a new coil and the car is running great now! The second code was from the oil not being changed. It never came back on after I changed the oil.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online