P0305 error

PeachesSabrina

Original poster
Jun 16, 2021
Tacoma
So update, I have misfires on CYL(s) 4,5,6. I had about any where from 500 to 2k misfires on each cylinder, but only at startup and the engine is cold. After startup no misfires what so ever, in fact I just took a 150mi trip and after startup there were no misfires. The RPM'S peak at about 950 and then after about 2 min settle down to about 600 RPM's
CYL(s)1,2,3 are working fine BTW

Reactions: TJBaker57

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The GM 4.2L LL8 Engine Intake Manifold uses unique, Low Torque "Trapped" Fasteners requiring a MAX of only 89 Inch Pounds because they bottom out and only serve to squash what would ordinarily be "new and plump" Rubber "O" Ring Style Gaskets in Three Sets shaped like sideways #8s along the interface of the Intake Manifold Flange.

Due to the 'pendulum' like action of the heavy Throttle Body being on one side, counter-balanced by the heavy PCM diagonally on the other... Engine and Body Vibrations will cause the Intake Manifold to rock back and forth, making the "O" Ring Style Gaskets flatten out over time and allow unmetered Air to by-pass the PCM Engine Management System (The LL8 Motor is an Air Weight-Flow dependent system NOT Fuel Dominant) and this can cause Random Engine Misfires.

On Early Model TBs & Envoys the upper Center-Most Fastener is hidden under a Small Rubber Elbow Hose connecting the Intake Plenum to a Port in the Aluminum Engine Head. Be careful not to damage that little fellow during its R&R. The Fasteners located closest to the Engine Firewall have been the source for inventing New Swear Words due to the difficulty in accessing them with a Small 3/8" Ratchet, a Short Extension and Little Universal Adapter to wend its weary way around and on top of that small IM Bolt Head.

You could try carefully tightening up any possible loosened Fasteners along the IM Flange... but avoid freelancing with this action. The same kind of Fasteners apply to the Engine Head Valve Cover. Unlike the Old GM Valve Cover Cork Gaskets ...ALL of these Fasteners sport a Very Short Thread Line (M6X1.00X12mm) that can bottom out suddenly and very easily get Snapped Right Off if they get Tightened TOO Aggressively. If anyone has already tried this and you discover that the Fasteners remain in place... but "spin free" when being tightened...do not despair. There are two specific Threads addressing how to perform this repair:

Last edited:
Reactions: TJBaker57

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So update, I have misfires on CYL(s) 4,5,6. I had about any where from 500 to 2k misfires on each cylinder, but only at startup and the engine is cold. After startup no misfires what so ever, in fact I just took a 150mi trip and after startup there were no misfires. The RPM'S peak at about 950 and then after about 2 min settle down to about 600 RPM's
CYL(s)1,2,3 are working fine BTW

I was just about to postulate about the intake manifold and while doing so I see @MRRSM has drawn first. Good thing as he does a much better job of these things than do I!!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"Praise from Caesar...IS Praise...Indeed..." Thanks, Brother.

Last edited:

PeachesSabrina

Original poster
Jun 16, 2021
Tacoma
One last thought folks, what if it's the battery thats causing the misfires. The reason I am wondering g this is it was warm today here in the PNW and I had the A/C running full blast when I turned the key. Now when I turned the ignition it didn't crank, when I turned the A/C down she started right up.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
These are the Most Common PXXX Causes...in their Order of Diagnosis:

...and concurring with @Tankcruiser on checking the Grounds... check out @Realism 's Epic "Ground Breaking" Thread for Images & Diagrams to assist you:

Attachments

• POSSIBLECAUSESOFP305.jpg
    POSSIBLECAUSESOFP305.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randybill