p0300 and p0014

verles

Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
Have an 06 TB I have already changed the plugs (as it started running rough)and oil as the oil light came on about the same time now I have 0300 and 0014 with a steady CEL. It runs smooth and no lack of power, what else could there be.

Thanks in Advance.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

How many miles? Any other maintenance history? Anything you were told about and deferred touching?

What kind of plugs exactly?

I would get a scan gauge (every group of friends of neighbors should own one to share) and clear the codes to make sure what shows up are current.

The CPAS is one of the next suspects.

You can run a search on those codes and read what others have done in this situation. Many threads should come up.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got a random 0014 code recently and found that changing my oil actually alleviated it. Did you use proper oil?

verles

Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
Just under 99k miles and bought 2yrs ago and 6-7 mos ago replaced plugs with what was in it and it was Bosch don't remember numbers and used 10-40 Castrol with Purolator filter. Haven't had to do anything else other than trans fluid and filter, will be changing rotors and brakes when it warms up as one or two are warped.

I'll have to look up a scan gauge as I have not heard of it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1) Scan gauge is what reads codes. Harbor Freight has cheapies if budget is an issue.

2) ONLY use Delco 41-103 plugs. Bosch can give misfires.

3) Every 50K, the transfer case fluid needs changing. VITALLY important. All other fluids at 100K.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
verles said:
Just under 99k miles and bought 2yrs ago and 6-7 mos ago replaced plugs with what was in it and it was Bosch don't remember numbers and used 10-40 Castrol with Purolator filter. Haven't had to do anything else other than trans fluid and filter, will be changing rotors and brakes when it warms up as one or two are warped.

I'll have to look up a scan gauge as I have not heard of it.
Spark plugs. These are the only ones you should use.

Oil: Out of curiosity, why are you using 10W-40?

Transfer case fluid. Every 50k. Seriously.

OBD-II scan tool. It's a tool that you plug into the OBD-II port under your dash. Among other things, it reads trouble codes from your TB's computer. I (and many others) have a bluetooth OBD-II dongle that connects to our phones. Pretty snazzy.

Jared

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The_Roadie said:
1) Scan gauge is what reads codes. Harbor Freight has cheapies if budget is an issue.

2) ONLY use Delco 41-103 plugs. Bosch can give misfires.

3) Every 50K, the transfer case fluid needs changing. VITALLY important. All other fluids at 100K.

The AC Delco part number is 41-103, not 410103. I'd correct the mistake within the post itself but as far as I know we're still on "don't touch anything." :rotfl:
ADDED BY THE ROADIE: Obvious mistakes like this you can fix. But there was no mistake to fix! See how that works? Revisionist history brought to you by the edit button!

jsheahawk said:
Spark plugs. These are the only ones you should use.

Oil: Out of curiosity, why are you using 10W-40?

Transfer case fluid. Every 50k. Seriously.

OBD-II scan tool. It's a tool that you plug into the OBD-II port under your dash. Among other things, it reads trouble codes from your TB's computer. I (and many others) have a bluetooth OBD-II dongle that connects to our phones. Pretty snazzy.

Jared

Good question on the oil. 5W-30 is the recommended oil weight, and with the tight tolerances in the VVT should be the ONLY oil weight used. Others may affect the operation of the variable valve timing, which might give the p0014 code (there's other codes too, but CPAS may be goofing thanks to the wrong oil weight). Start with changing to the proper plugs (41-103) and using 5W-30 oil that meets the GM specification listed in the manual (it'll have a seal on the front or back saying the code on the oil bottle, most/all major brands meet it). Both of these things need done anyway, and may alleviate the trouble codes.

verles

Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
Ok I will try these suggestions and see if any of it changes but will need to wait for it to warm up and while I'm at it will change the oil in the transfer case as I'm needing to find out why it does not go into 4L, but it was not very important at the moment that's why I was waiting on it, all I used so far was the 4H once.

Thanks for the information.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
verles said:
Ok I will try these suggestions and see if any of it changes but will need to wait for it to warm up and while I'm at it will change the oil in the transfer case as I'm needing to find out why it does not go into 4L, but it was not very important at the moment that's why I was waiting on it, all I used so far was the 4H once.

Thanks for the information.

Remember to drop the filter as part of your oil change. Up to a pint of the old stuff could stay sitting in there. You can use another Purolator of the proper model just like you have, that's what I've used before.

verles

Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
Thanks.

I always change filters with when I change fluids, I know there are some people out there that never do :thumbsup:

Bought the 06 used so it didn't have a owners manual and didn't know that I'm just used to old school 4x4, park it set it drive it

verles

Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
Bought a actron pocket scanner cp9125 on sale for $40 at advance auto, plug it in and cleared it and that was Saturday and still no CEL. So all it needed was the codes to be cleared.

Thanks for the help.:thumbsup::thankyou:

waz3377

Mar 11, 2014
verles said:
Have an 06 TB I have already changed the plugs (as it started running rough)and oil as the oil light came on about the same time now I have 0300 and 0014 with a steady CEL. It runs smooth and no lack of power, what else could there be.

Thanks in Advance.

Ok where to start. Ive had my 2005 envoy for 2 years. It has 186k miles on it. I have replaced so much on this thing it isnt funny. I recently had a P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire. I replaced #2 and #3 coil pack, drove it a while and got the same code. I then swapped the spark plugs from #3 and #2 (20k miles on the new AC Delcos 103s) same code. I wished it would have given me the code for cylinder #3 because that would have diagnosed my issue. I noticed a little oil in the #2 spark plug well, also a small amount of water/oil in #4. I then decided to remove the valve cover. WOW tons of work... but I replaced the valve cover gaskets. I put it all back together drove it around some more, got the same code with an ADDITION of P0014 for the Camshaft Position Timing Over Advanced or System Performance (bank1) as it reads. I bought the actuator and am currently awaiting the item to swap. I am stumped on the Cylinder 2 misfire. I bought another coil pack and I'm going to try and see if that fixes it, but what if it doesn't? Where do I go from here? It is idling really rough now and during acceleration you can feel it missing like crazy. I bought some Seafoam to do after I do the swap of the cam actuator.

I have cleaned my TB 4 times since I bought it. Most recently was 3 days ago.. it's not that..

WHAT IS MY P0302 PROBLEM AHHHHHHH

I have sent my computer into PCM for less for more power but is seems I have none. I believe my cat is bad, another story.. hopefully the seafoam blows my injectors out so it has power. I am going to do the heat test on the cat soon.

I then pulled all plugs and did the compression test, made sure the coil packs were back on right. I switched coil pack #3 and #2 again and left it to retest it. Today I ran it for 10 miles and it through a P0300 code instead of a P0302 and a P0014. It idles rough and rough acceleration. It is not dying.

I just did a compression test:

Throttle closed / throttle open

1 - 180 / 195
2 - 180 /200
3 - 178 /210
4 - 180 / 200
5 - 185 / 200
6 - 170 / 180

WHAT NOW ??? AHHH

I guess this is a good thing... but now I am even more stumped.

IF THIS IS IT IM GOING TO GO INSANE ---- I have been running Penzoil 5w30 for 100k miles. I just switched to Penzoil High Mileage 5w30 about 6k miles ago. I just emptied it and will run it tomorrow. If that fixes it I will sell all my tools and become a nun.

Sorry for all over post.. I pulled some of it from trailvoy and only got a couple answers and a guy told me to come here.

Please help, I'm raking my brain here.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
waz3377 said:
Ok where to start. Ive had my 2005 envoy for 2 years. It has 186k miles on it. I have replaced so much on this thing it isnt funny. I recently had a P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire. I replaced #2 and #3 coil pack, drove it a while and got the same code. I then swapped the spark plugs from #3 and #2 (20k miles on the new AC Delcos 103s) same code. I wished it would have given me the code for cylinder #3 because that would have diagnosed my issue. I noticed a little oil in the #2 spark plug well, also a small amount of water/oil in #4. I then decided to remove the valve cover. WOW tons of work... but I replaced the valve cover gaskets. I put it all back together drove it around some more, got the same code with an ADDITION of P0014 for the Camshaft Position Timing Over Advanced or System Performance (bank1) as it reads. I bought the actuator and am currently awaiting the item to swap. I am stumped on the Cylinder 2 misfire. I bought another coil pack and I'm going to try and see if that fixes it, but what if it doesn't? Where do I go from here? It is idling really rough now and during acceleration you can feel it missing like crazy. I bought some Seafoam to do after I do the swap of the cam actuator.

I have cleaned my TB 4 times since I bought it. Most recently was 3 days ago.. it's not that..

WHAT IS MY P0302 PROBLEM AHHHHHHH

I have sent my computer into PCM for less for more power but is seems I have none. I believe my cat is bad, another story.. hopefully the seafoam blows my injectors out so it has power. I am going to do the heat test on the cat soon.

I then pulled all plugs and did the compression test, made sure the coil packs were back on right. I switched coil pack #3 and #2 again and left it to retest it. Today I ran it for 10 miles and it through a P0300 code instead of a P0302 and a P0014. It idles rough and rough acceleration. It is not dying.

I just did a compression test:

Throttle closed / throttle open

1 - 180 / 195
2 - 180 /200
3 - 178 /210
4 - 180 / 200
5 - 185 / 200
6 - 170 / 180

WHAT NOW ??? AHHH

I guess this is a good thing... but now I am even more stumped.

IF THIS IS IT IM GOING TO GO INSANE ---- I have been running Penzoil 5w30 for 100k miles. I just switched to Penzoil High Mileage 5w30 about 6k miles ago. I just emptied it and will run it tomorrow. If that fixes it I will sell all my tools and become a nun.

Sorry for all over post.. I pulled some of it from trailvoy and only got a couple answers and a guy told me to come here.

Please help, I'm raking my brain here.

Welcome! I'm glad you've made it here from the "Dark Side" as they call it around these parts.

So the p0302 started, so you put that coil to #3 but it still gave a #2 misfire, then you switched it back and now it's gone to p0300? One or more of those coil packs are bad. Are you ensuring you only use ACDelco or Genuine GM coil packs? Some of the rough running is from the misfire, and the p0014 code (likely the CPAS, which I see you've already ordered) is likely to cause some more rough running, or at least it did for me.

I'd say those compression numbers look fairly promising but it seems everyone around here suggests the leakdown test as a better gauge of the system.

The water in coil #4 actually has a TSB about it. Sometimes, since there is no weatherproofing on the back of the meeting point between the hood and the body, in rain (and especially when parked facing downhill) water will run onto the engine and work its way to the coil area, where improperly-seated coil packs can allow some water to migrate in, generally in the area of cylinders 4 and 5. Whenever you have a pack off, it's important to ensure the rubber seal is clean, the metal where the seal contacts is clean (carefully as to not knock dust down into the well), and that the bolt is properly torqued up when you're done.

It also wouldn't hurt to inspect the wiring to the coils. Inspecting is free (and free is good! :thumbsup:), and with how thin those wires are to the packs it's worth checking out just to give yourself piece of mind at least that that's not the problem.

waz3377

Mar 11, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Welcome! I'm glad you've made it here from the "Dark Side" as they call it around these parts.

So the p0302 started, so you put that coil to #3 but it still gave a #2 misfire, then you switched it back and now it's gone to p0300? One or more of those coil packs are bad. Are you ensuring you only use ACDelco or Genuine GM coil packs? Some of the rough running is from the misfire, and the p0014 code (likely the CPAS, which I see you've already ordered) is likely to cause some more rough running, or at least it did for me.

I'd say those compression numbers look fairly promising but it seems everyone around here suggests the leakdown test as a better gauge of the system.

The water in coil #4 actually has a TSB about it. Sometimes, since there is no weatherproofing on the back of the meeting point between the hood and the body, in rain (and especially when parked facing downhill) water will run onto the engine and work its way to the coil area, where improperly-seated coil packs can allow some water to migrate in, generally in the area of cylinders 4 and 5. Whenever you have a pack off, it's important to ensure the rubber seal is clean, the metal where the seal contacts is clean (carefully as to not knock dust down into the well), and that the bolt is properly torqued up when you're done.

It also wouldn't hurt to inspect the wiring to the coils. Inspecting is free (and free is good! :thumbsup:), and with how thin those wires are to the packs it's worth checking out just to give yourself piece of mind at least that that's not the problem.

P0302 started, changed coil pack #2 to #3. It still showed P0302 after driving around. I swamped spark plugs to check.. same result. Today I drove with plug #2 in #3 and it gave me a P0300. They are the original coils. I cleaned the rubber seal on them and when I took my valve cover off I cleaned that thing inside and out, so it has a good seal.

The issue on coil #4 is known and I cleaned it up no big deal.

The wiring to the coils is something I can't really know what I am doing. There are not just a one spark plug wire like other vehicles, each plugs into the coil pack but it has a bunch of wires in each one. Wouldn't know what to look for.

I am HOPING it is a coil pack issue. I was convinced after trying to swap plugs and coils it was going to be a low compression cylinder and I am so thankful that is not it. I just can't figure out which coil pack is bad.

Could it be a fuel injector? I will post after I change the oil tomorrow. I am going to do that first, then change the cam solenoid. I have read that switching oil can cause those codes and if I go back to what I was using it might go back to normal. Or do you think I should just change the solenoid anyways? I figure, change the oil, drive it, see if that eliminates it, then try the solenoid, then buy a 6 pack of coils.

I was also complaining about a lack of power a few months ago but no one gave me any real response on trailvoy. I took it into a muffler shop to see if it was the cat, they didn't get a code and were not sure. I idle the truck a lot, I am sure its bad, but wouldnt it throw a code? It still has some power, just not what I thought it once had. Separate issue I know. Just throwing that in there.

Thanks so much for your help guys, I'm officially staying away from the dark side...

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
waz3377 said:
P0302 started, changed coil pack #2 to #3. It still showed P0302 after driving around. I swamped spark plugs to check.. same result. Today I drove with plug #2 in #3 and it gave me a P0300. They are the original coils. I cleaned the rubber seal on them and when I took my valve cover off I cleaned that thing inside and out, so it has a good seal.

The issue on coil #4 is known and I cleaned it up no big deal.

The wiring to the coils is something I can't really know what I am doing. There are not just a one spark plug wire like other vehicles, each plugs into the coil pack but it has a bunch of wires in each one. Wouldn't know what to look for.

I am HOPING it is a coil pack issue. I was convinced after trying to swap plugs and coils it was going to be a low compression cylinder and I am so thankful that is not it. I just can't figure out which coil pack is bad.

Could it be a fuel injector? I will post after I change the oil tomorrow. I am going to do that first, then change the cam solenoid. I have read that switching oil can cause those codes and if I go back to what I was using it might go back to normal. Or do you think I should just change the solenoid anyways? I figure, change the oil, drive it, see if that eliminates it, then try the solenoid, then buy a 6 pack of coils.

I was also complaining about a lack of power a few months ago but no one gave me any real response on trailvoy. I took it into a muffler shop to see if it was the cat, they didn't get a code and were not sure. I idle the truck a lot, I am sure its bad, but wouldnt it throw a code? It still has some power, just not what I thought it once had. Separate issue I know. Just throwing that in there.

Thanks so much for your help guys, I'm officially staying away from the dark side...

It's dark because the admins aren't around to turn on the lights anymore :rotfl:

Fuel injectors are a possibility. As for checking the wiring, I know it's difficult because of the loom they go into and the thin nature makes them a little more delicate. Really what you'd be looking for is anything out of the ordinary, like a nicked wire or a wire with copper bared. But considering switching coils around switched it up to a p0300, I'm kinda leaning coil(s), with fuel injectors getting a little worn not helping anything. You said you have another coil pack already purchased, yes? Replace the #3 coil with the new one and see if it shows back up. If it does, remove the new coil and put it on cylinder #2, putting the original #3 coil back on #3 and see what happens.

If your old cam solenoid looks okay, just clogged up with crap (no oil in the connector, still feels like one piece instead of having the two halves able to spin independently) you may be able to clean it up and hold onto it as a spare part just in case.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Addendum:

Could be the plugs, too. Have you changed them? Did you use AC Delco #41-103? They aren't to be gapped when you get them, either. You can double-check gap with an appropriate gauge but it is heavily suggested not to attempt to gap as the iridium coating is fragile (I have no clue how they survive taking miniature explosions in the combustion chamber :rotfl: guess I'm not a metallurgist!)

And have you been using AC Delco for your coils?

waz3377

Mar 11, 2014
IllogicTC said:
It's dark because the admins aren't around to turn on the lights anymore :rotfl:

Fuel injectors are a possibility. As for checking the wiring, I know it's difficult because of the loom they go into and the thin nature makes them a little more delicate. Really what you'd be looking for is anything out of the ordinary, like a nicked wire or a wire with copper bared. But considering switching coils around switched it up to a p0300, I'm kinda leaning coil(s), with fuel injectors getting a little worn not helping anything. You said you have another coil pack already purchased, yes? Replace the #3 coil with the new one and see if it shows back up. If it does, remove the new coil and put it on cylinder #2, putting the original #3 coil back on #3 and see what happens.

If your old cam solenoid looks okay, just clogged up with crap (no oil in the connector, still feels like one piece instead of having the two halves able to spin independently) you may be able to clean it up and hold onto it as a spare part just in case.

I just checked the cam and it spins.. is that an uh oh?

waz3377

Mar 11, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Addendum:

Could be the plugs, too. Have you changed them? Did you use AC Delco #41-103? They aren't to be gapped when you get them, either. You can double-check gap with an appropriate gauge but it is heavily suggested not to attempt to gap as the iridium coating is fragile (I have no clue how they survive taking miniature explosions in the combustion chamber :rotfl: guess I'm not a metallurgist!)

And have you been using AC Delco for your coils?

I changed the plugs like 20k miles ago... using the 41-103s. I didn't gap them but checked. all about .043.

I pulled the plugs. There is a little bit of grime on them and at the bottom of the white part it is a little tan/burnt looking.. but I think that is normal.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
waz3377 said:
I just checked the cam and it spins.. is that an uh oh?

:yes: That's the same thing mine did when my p0014 came up. The pressing that combines the two halves has failed. Since you've got the part on order or in stock already you should be okay, I've never seen what happens when the unit is left in there until it fails catastrophically but I would imagine it'd be quite the oil show. My part took a few days to show up and it lasted, I guess it just comes loose.

Also check my most recent post right above yours for some additional info.

waz3377

Mar 11, 2014
IllogicTC said:
:yes: That's the same thing mine did when my p0014 came up. The pressing that combines the two halves has failed. Since you've got the part on order or in stock already you should be okay, I've never seen what happens when the unit is left in there until it fails catastrophically but I would imagine it'd be quite the oil show. My part took a few days to show up and it lasted, I guess it just comes loose.

Also check my most recent post right above yours for some additional info.

I am looking for coils now. Not cheap. There are plenty of knock offs..

(I did buy one, but canceled the order after the code didn't move from #2 to #3 when I swapped them, I kinda just figured it wasn't the coil at that point) So I do not have the coil on hand, just the cam.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
waz3377 said:
I am looking for coils now. Not cheap. There are plenty of knock offs..

Yes they are :eek:

This engine seems very touchy about the more critical components. Then again I suppose it's to be expected of many more modern engines - clearances are tighter, things become more and more computerized and advanced, and while the car companies have no shame in raising part prices to match, Cheap Chinese Crap dealers want to continue playing a low price point, which means continually-degrading quality, married with an attempt to work in engines that become more and more fine-tuned as the years roll by.

Here is a link to the ignition coil on GMPartsDirect. $145/coil (not including spring and boot according to the catalog but it may come with them, which can be salvaged off the old coil if they're in good condition), but including S/H. This is where I ordered my CPAS from. It took a few days but it arrived and worked very satisfactory.

Here is a link to GM Parts Giant's offering. $123.74, doesn't list S/H price (shows --) so shipping may or may not be extra, not sure how much though. Never dealt with this site, but I've seen others linking to it now and again. It does say it includes spring and boot for this price.

Here is Nalley GMC's offering. Not sure why it says "also knock sensor" on the description but the diagrams provided show it is indeed the coil. $146.63 shipped.

And here is a link to GMPartsCenter.net's offering. $143.91 shipped, that includes handling and the shipping I believe should be free since it fits in the size constraints for it.

All are under $150 looks like... which beats $200+ for what a dealership would want. Which is crazy, only 3 of these adds up to more than a new PCM.

Sometimes when moving coils it will switch from a cylinder-specific one to the 300 "random" code as it appears to the computer that it's just whatever cylinder looks like it wants to misbehave. I'd bet a PCM reset (battery disconnect or pulling the two PCM fuses for 30 minutes) would make the 0300 turn into an 0303, perhaps.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
The P0300 code is basically a preliminary code stating that misfires are occurring and the computer continues its observations to see if it can be narrowed down to a specific cylinder and then that code will be set.

If all you have is the P0300 you can look at the Misfire History of each cylinder (using a capable scantool) or just wait for the computer to narrow it down.

I've noticed that sometimes when the misfires occur on more than one cylinder due to air or fuel delivery problems, the computer can take a while to isolate if at all.

waz3377

Mar 11, 2014
BRomanJr said:
The P0300 code is basically a preliminary code stating that misfires are occurring and the computer continues its observations to see if it can be narrowed down to a specific cylinder and then that code will be set.

If all you have is the P0300 you can look at the Misfire History of each cylinder (using a capable scantool) or just wait for the computer to narrow it down.

I've noticed that sometimes when the misfires occur on more than one cylinder due to air or fuel delivery problems, the computer can take a while to isolate if at all.

I ran a can of seafoam through it. I then replaced the p0014 solenoid. Changed the oil. Just ran it for like 2 miles. It started to sputter a little bit, but it not throwing any codes yet. It is still sputtering. I am so unbelievably lost right now. I am about to change all 6 of my coil packs... what if it still sputters? Waste of money replacing them... Wouldn't the can of seafoam clean my injectors enough... so I eliminated that as a possibility? Ughhh

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
waz3377 said:
I ran a can of seafoam through it. I then replaced the p0014 solenoid. Changed the oil. Just ran it for like 2 miles. It started to sputter a little bit, but it not throwing any codes yet. It is still sputtering. I am so unbelievably lost right now. I am about to change all 6 of my coil packs... what if it still sputters? Waste of money replacing them... Wouldn't the can of seafoam clean my injectors enough... so I eliminated that as a possibility? Ughhh

Depends. People run Seafoam through the gas, or through the oil system, depending on what needs cleaned. I assume you did the gas route? In theory it should clean up the injectors, but I wouldn't put a 100% guarantee on it if the clogging is extreme, or the injector has failed entirely.

waz3377

Mar 11, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Depends. People run Seafoam through the gas, or through the oil system, depending on what needs cleaned. I assume you did the gas route? In theory it should clean up the injectors, but I wouldn't put a 100% guarantee on it if the clogging is extreme, or the injector has failed entirely.

I ran it through gas, oil, and booster hose..

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I recently ran into a similar scenario.....took a better scan tool to determine that it was indeed cyl 4 and 6.....if you have access to a scan tooL, which shows misfire hx by cylinder as described above....is what did it for me. As the poster above said....when multiple cyl are involved...it is tough to trace deeper than p0300. Mine were original so they went about 140k....I figured the remaining three were due to crap out anytime now.

I had p0302 a month earlier so they all started to go out within the last two months..... just went ahead and replaced the rest. You can get AC Delcos on EBay for $50 a piece....excellent deal.....search it. The p0014 code I was getting I simply cleared...it came back once.... I cleared again and have not seen it since.

Good luck!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction

Members Online