P0171 - Help with diagnosis

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
The truck is down on power and threw P0171 yesterday. It drives okay at low throttle position, but falls on its face if I attempt more than part throttle. If I hold the throttle there, the rpms will climb very slowly despite the fact it sounds like I have it at WOT, and then the truck will get power back (relatively speaking) at 2500-3000 rpms.

I also had trouble maintaining speed up a gradual incline until the truck downshifted. This is not normal. I drive that incline all the time and should accelerate up the hill in gear, without downshifting.

I have to let it cool down again, but it seems much worse when hot.

I have Torque. The O2s (Bank 1 Sensor 1) seems to be bouncing around pretty good. Sensor 2 bounces around sometimes, but also flat lines or trend lines at times. I need to investigate. The manifold air pressure responds to the throttle nicely - almost too fast, meaning it hits 12 at very little throttle. Not sure if this is normal. It seems to be holding a good vacuum.

I cannot get fuel pressure readings in Torque. I assume this is no surprise?

Sorry for the book. Is there anything else I can do with Torque to diagnose, or am I headed to the shop to get hooked to the scanner? Thanks.

Edit - I forgot to mention. The intake manifold is tight, the throttle body is clean, the air filter is new, and the plugs have <6k miles on them. This is the 'new to me' motor with 44k on the clock.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
What year is the truck? If you fill out the info in your profile it'll make it easier for people to help.

Looking at the code, it could be a number of things including the forward O2 sensor...is it an AC Delco? If not, that "could" be the problem. It could also be a dirty or malfunctioning MAF...but earlier years don't have one, so I don't know on yours.

Here's everything that I found on a search for that code:

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection Faulty or stuck open PCV valve Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!) Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor.

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks Matt. I did not realize my profile did not carry over with the website upgrade. Done. It is a 2002 LTZ. I will check the O2 manufacturer, wiring, etc. It appeared to bounce around pretty good - meaning it looked plenty alive - but I will review again.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
No worries. No MAF in the 02.

If it's a Bosch O2, that may be the issue as there's been reports that they don't work too well on our trucks.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online