Overhead Console

ncphotographer

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Can someone tell me from what year this console is.........

I have this one in my 02 trailblazer......but I'd prefer to have lights instead of the sunglass compartment........

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
They aren't year specific. Just a number of available options. There are members who've made the swap like you're wanting to do. You would just have to split and extend the dome light wires from the lights over the doors, to that center console.

Edit: If you can find one of the same color as your current one, the homelink/memo module option won't matter, as you can swap those over too.

Reactions: ncphotographer

ncphotographer

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Do you know if I'd need a complete new setup or is it possible to switch just the sunglass compartment for the lights?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Here's the backside of my console, you can see where the lights are. Looks like it's plastic welded in place.

CurrentConsole.jpg

If you can find one in a local junk yard, that's your best bet. Then once you get it home, you can take a closer look and see if there's a way to get it out. First step, I'd say, take down your current console, and see if there's a way to get the sunglass holder out. If there is, then others should be assembled similarly. If not, then you need to replace the whole thing anyway.

ncphotographer

Original poster
May 27, 2014
OK.....send me yours and I can put my home link and voice recorder in and I'll be good to go!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help......I'll be headed to the junkyard tomorrow.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:raspberry: When I took mine down, it was because I was adding the homelink and memo modules to it.

Besides, you wouldn't want mine, the LED dome lights might feed your mod bug, and then you'll need to step your LED game up son!! :deal:

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Check out my build thread.. Already done what you want to do :smile:

Edit:

One on left is dome light, one on right is sunglasses.. The sunglasses part doesn't come out, so you will have to replace whole console.. I bought mine off eBay for about 25 shipped.

Depending on year differences, and/or options on each truck, you might have to repin the connector, or replace the connector from your old console to get new one to work righy, you will also have to most likely splice into dome light wires ( gray/black, and orange) from driver or pass doors and run those to new console.

ncphotographer

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Blckshdw said:
:raspberry: When I took mine down, it was because I was adding the homelink and memo modules to it.

Besides, you wouldn't want mine, the LED dome lights might feed your mod bug, and then you'll need to step your LED game up son!! :deal:
There's no way I can step up my game to compete with you guys......you do some awesome stuff that I would love to do, but simply put, I just don't understand the majority of it. I read and re-read and research but for whatever reason I just can't comprehend what to do. I finally was able to switch out the lights in the homelink and memory modules for LEDs after 732 tries.......still can't get the light switched in the rear fan control on the center console......i've ruined 2 already.

ncphotographer

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Midnyteryder196 said:
Check out my build thread.. Already done what you want to do :smile:

Edit:

One on left is dome light, one on right is sunglasses.. The sunglasses part doesn't come out, so you will have to replace whole console.. I bought mine off eBay for about 25 shipped.

Depending on year differences, and/or options on each truck, you might have to repin the connector, or replace the connector from your old console to get new one to work righy, you will also have to most likely splice into dome light wires ( gray/black, and orange) from driver or pass doors and run those to new console.
I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for some info soon.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ncphotographer said:
There's no way I can step up my game to compete with you guys.....
This is incorrect. :nono:

djthumper said:
Practice, practice, practice.
This is correct :yes:

When I first joined this group on the OS, I knew nothing about everything. When I stumbled upon the LED Mod thread there, I had the exact same mentality after seeing the things some of the guys came up with and put together. It's like Larry said, start small, be patient, and practice. I started with some old scrap PC parts, got a cheap Radio Shack iron and practiced removing and resoldering components. Once you get your technique down, you'll be able to solder stuff without a 2nd thought.

As for the logic behind what's being done, start with the basics. 1 LED, 1 resistor. Find your modules where you would use that logic (3rd row window seats in the overhead console, rear door window switches, rear wiper switch, and with the front mounted rear HVAC, you do have to be very gentle with that one) You'll be surprise how much your confidence will grow after you get one of those mods right, and then start stringing successful mods together. :celebrate:

Reactions: Mounce

ncphotographer

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Blckshdw said:
This is incorrect. :nono:

This is correct :yes:

When I first joined this group on the OS, I knew nothing about everything. When I stumbled upon the LED Mod thread there, I had the exact same mentality after seeing the things some of the guys came up with and put together. It's like Larry said, start small, be patient, and practice. I started with some old scrap PC parts, got a cheap Radio Shack iron and practiced removing and resoldering components. Once you get your technique down, you'll be able to solder stuff without a 2nd thought.

As for the logic behind what's being done, start with the basics. 1 LED, 1 resistor. Find your modules where you would use that logic (3rd row window seats in the overhead console, rear door window switches, rear wiper switch, and with the front mounted rear HVAC, you do have to be very gentle with that one) You'll be surprise how much your confidence will grow after you get one of those mods right, and then start stringing successful mods together. :celebrate:
I'm more referring to switchbacks and splicing into this wire and that orange wire and etc etc......because of you guys I've been able to switch all my interior lights for LEDs......except the rear fan control in the middle console, I just can't seem to get it......but I've switched the lights in the homelink and memo recorder and 3rd row window seats.....all that I've done (because of you all) but I'd like to put in mud puddle lights and running board lights and etc etc, but the splicing into other wires and running wires to this and that is what I can't comprehend.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Then it sounds like you're well on your way. I think I've referred you to Mooseman's service manual thread before, so if you've got the wiring diagram PDF that makes a world of difference. Switchbacks and polarity switchers, leave those alone for now. Took me quite a while to figure that out. Your puddle lights, good mod to tackle next.

The wiring diagrams are color coded, so that should help you locate what's what. For stuff like this, it's just 2 connections. Power source and ground. So the question you ask is, what also turns on, when I want my LEDs to turn on, and that's what you connect them to. Most of us will advise against those scotch lock type connectors, but you could use them starting out, and once you got everything settled the way you want it, go back to solder the connections and tape them.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Has anyone ever done a mod to the replace the voice recorder with something else? The recorder is completely useless to me, but I've never been able to come up with any ideas of what to re-use the buttons for. Alternatively, are there any blank panels available that I could use to cut in my own switches? Might be a good place to mount switches for the off-road lights.

[Edit] Just realized the recorder buttons and homelink buttons are all on the same section, so there's probably not an option available where the recorder area was left blank. Oh well.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Shdwdrgn said:
Has anyone ever done a mod to the replace the voice recorder with something else? The recorder is completely useless to me, but I've never been able to come up with any ideas of what to re-use the buttons for. Alternatively, are there any blank panels available that I could use to cut in my own switches? Might be a good place to mount switches for the off-road lights.

[Edit] Just realized the recorder buttons and homelink buttons are all on the same section, so there's probably not an option available where the recorder area was left blank. Oh well.
There are some plates that have just the homelink module, but it is centered. There was someone on the OS that did something similar, they just put their additional switches on either side of the homelink module and it seemed to work out pretty well. Might take some Ebay/junk yard hunting to find one. :twocents:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:

You wouldn't want Blckshdw's. You'll burn your retinas if you look accidentally at the lights when you turn them on.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Shdwdrgn said:

If Homelink was useless to you (as it is to me), there's a whole little row of buttons to control relays with!

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
IllogicTC said:
If Homelink was useless to you (as it is to me), there's a whole little row of buttons to control relays with!
I use one button to open my garage door. What am I supposed to do with the other two buttons -- open up my neighbor's doors too? Ah well...

Reactions: CaptainKD

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The_Roadie said:
You can get Homelink light control receivers, or a house with more garage doors.
Never considered remote operation of house lights. That's a neat feature, for both practical and security purposes.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
What do the two buttons directly in front of the light operate?

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
The module it self is black, but I do have the whole console too from my swap, its a peweter color, at least that's what my RPO code says. It has both home link and memo recorder, but memo has been converted to pink LEDs lol

uploadfromtaptalk1408498832049.jpguploadfromtaptalk1408498832049.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408498853336.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408498853336.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 13

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I always wondered why those windows weren't offered for the SWB. I would really love that option, but I'm guessing it would not be an easy conversion. Even just having vents back there to suck out the hot Summer air would be a relief.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
Do the back windows open like a minivan?
From what I saw, they are hinged at the front and open towards the rear. Great for letting air flow all the way to the rear. I wonder if anyone has ever measured the window sizes to see if the ones in the LWB are longer? If they are the same size for both models, then I would feel really gipped for not having them offered in the SWB, but it would certainly make a conversion more likely possible.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Midnyteryder196 said:
Mine is hardly ever open lol

Mounce said:
Lol I open mine all the time to let the hot air out when I get in.
I open mine all the time too. In addition to cracking the door windows (vent visors), I keep those open during the day, so it's not so brutal after work. I was worried a couple of times though, as my amp is installed behind the driver's side panel, and a downpour came through before I could run out and shut it. Amp stayed dry though.

Shdwdrgn said:
From what I saw, they are hinged at the front and open towards the rear. Great for letting air flow all the way to the rear. I wonder if anyone has ever measured the window sizes to see if the ones in the LWB are longer? If they are the same size for both models, then I would feel really gipped for not having them offered in the SWB, but it would certainly make a conversion more likely possible.
Although the window sizes are different between the 2, considering what you did with the steel bumper fabrication, I wouldn't put this conversion past you. I'm sure you could get a pair of actuators and hinges from a junked LWB, and any window switches would do the job. Popping the window seal, and moving it from the outside of the glass, to behind the glass would be the big challenge. Drilling a hole in the glass would probably be one of those 'slow and steady wins the race' sorta deals. And then attach the hinge to the front of the glass and C pillars. Easy peasy. :tongue:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabah

Members Online