Opinions on water pump

WarGawd

Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Recently picked up a load of parts through RockAuto to do a bunch of maintenance prior to an August trip wayyyyy off the beaten path. While I was getting Ujoints, rotors, calipers, pads and e-brakes, I spotted a closeout deal on a water pump. I had suspicions this past winter mine might be going bad, but haven't had any further symptoms or evidence to justify proceeding just yet.

Anyway, I bought it without a lot of research, because it was a deal @ $52 vs RA regular retail of $91 (and which Amazon currently sells for $71). Just wondering if there are any opinions out there as to whether the steel impeller ones are in fact the better version. Looking at the AC Delco Parts site, the AC 251731 that I bought seems to be the "standard grade" where they reserve the AC Delco "Professional" designation for the less expensive 252822 that RockAuto regularly retails for $39.

OTOH comparing the parts on Amazon, the -731 seems to be supplied with the superior metal gasket, reviews for both are positive.

A little confused, input welcome :smile:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
WarGawd said:
Recently picked up a load of parts through RockAuto to do a bunch of maintenance prior to an August trip wayyyyy off the beaten path. While I was getting Ujoints, rotors, calipers, pads and e-brakes, I spotted a closeout deal on a water pump. I had suspicions this past winter mine might be going bad, but haven't had any further symptoms or evidence to justify proceeding just yet.

Anyway, I bought it without a lot of research, because it was a deal @ $52 vs RA regular retail of $91 (and which Amazon currently sells for $71). Just wondering if there are any opinions out there as to whether the steel impeller ones are in fact the better version. Looking at the AC Delco Parts site, the AC 251731 that I bought seems to be the "standard grade" where they reserve the AC Delco "Professional" designation for the less expensive 252822 that RockAuto regularly retails for $39.

OTOH comparing the parts on Amazon, the -731 seems to be supplied with the superior metal gasket, reviews for both are positive.

A little confused, input welcome :smile:

I had similar questions a while back...

http://gmtnation.com/f25/water-pumps-fan-clutches-5647/

hope this helps some!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I could not find any reason to spend extra on a pump over the cheap option. It was a problem solving fix for me. My.02

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online