Opinions on head and foglights

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
I need some advice on head/fog lighting. I want to tint my head and foglights and put 3000k in the fogs and 5000k in the head lights. I also want my foglights to be as yellow as possible.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
hmmm you can do yellow tint for your fog lights if you like that color or that is what you want! I personally think the black tint and yellow light does not seem to be a good match I dont know I never really seen that combo I could be wrong. Now if you tint the headlights depends on how dark? I mean a simple smoke lightly then 5000k 35w kit will do you good, if you go dark then I think maybe a 55w kit will do better but remember if you do 55w kit and want that 5k look then you have to get like 6k or 8k because the higher watts will wash the colors a bit. So 6k will look very white with no blue pretty much and 8k will look more of 6k, also aim your lights so oncoming drivers do not show you there fingers lol

another option is to tape off where the light shines through on the headlight and tint the rest so you do not have a problem with light output at night :thumbsup:

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
I have thought about the yellow tint on the foglights, but that would bother me cause all of the fronts are not black. The headlights would b lightly tinted so I think the 5000k would do great. I want a pure white look no factor look(kinda brown-ish) to it. As far as the foglights I will probably tint them and then depending on how dark I might get 55w 3000k, but I do not want them to melt the factory wiring or the housing.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You'll melt down your fog housings if you put 55W HID in there... and please, don't put 55W anywhere. Way too bright without proper housings to handle it correctly.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
You'll melt down your fog housings if you put 55W HID in there... and please, don't put 55W anywhere. Way too bright without proper housings to handle it correctly.

:thumbsup:Agreed, 55W will piss off everyone on the road, and will melt your fogs.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Yes 55w will melt the housing. So I wouldn't go dark at all, if you would like they do have projector fog lights with halos (you can disable them if you don't like halos) for the envoy and 3000k would look wayyyy better in projectors then stock housings to me at least. Just a question, is there a reason you want your fogs to be so yellow?

Me personally I wouldn't tint headlights or fogs, I like to have light output. If you want black headlights you can open them up and paint them black! They look good that way also :yes:

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
Okay I jumped out and tinted my headlights now I need help. The tint I used was VHT and it made the head and fog light plastic look like they were cracking. Like glass does right before it breaks. I am confused at why this happened. I had the tail-lights done with the same product and the same way and they didn't turn out like that. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could do it to make it look better. By-the-Way- I water sanded them then sprayed them with coats, then glosses them with coats, water sanded again lightly, and then waxed them.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Did you clean them really good with dish soap? Was the air temperature to cold for the tint? Sounds like a project I did in school, temp was a bit to low and the paint just spied webbed like crazy, look like hell. Cleaned the metal really good and tried again came out perfect.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
jpleasant said:
Okay I jumped out and tinted my headlights now I need help. The tint I used was VHT and it made the head and fog light plastic look like they were cracking. Like glass does right before it breaks. I am confused at why this happened. I had the tail-lights done with the same product and the same way and they didn't turn out like that. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could do it to make it look better. By-the-Way- I water sanded them then sprayed them with coats, then glosses them with coats, water sanded again lightly, and then waxed them.

grab some brake cleaner and wash it off you'll be fine. then use the brake clean on the bare surface and retry it:thumbsup:

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
So do i need to take it completely off and do it over in a warmer environment and clean it with the brake fluid? Is there anything else I can do?

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Break Cleaner! not break fluid.
Can you post a picture of what they look like now, that might help people give some advise on how to recover. Close up, nothing but headlight.

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
I don't have close up pictures right now. I hate the matte look they have to them no shine or anything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 8

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
So far it looks like how I remember VHT. Never used it my self but my buddies all used it on the imports taillights. Don't ever remember seeing a high gloss VHT. Have you used it in the past and gotten better results?

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
Yea I have used it before and i've seen people have a high gloss finish on them..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think you need to put a couple of coats of clear over the VHT when doing the process, then buff the clear once it is dry.

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
Before I go into this mod again blindfolded somebody give me steps on how to get the high gloss smoke finish I am looking for. The plastic looks as if it is cracking and I must get the tint removed before I apply another. I need it 2 the "T" as far as directions go. As I mentioned earlier I did this mod in a garage and it was freezing that might have had something to do with them looking so bad. When the headlights are on it looks cracked. I am thinking of using meguiars ultimate compound at the end to make sure the gloss comes out. But please somebody give me some insight. Thanks In Advance.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
jpleasant said:
Before I go into this mod again blindfolded somebody give me steps on how to get the high gloss smoke finish I am looking for. The plastic looks as if it is cracking and I must get the tint removed before I apply another. I need it 2 the "T" as far as directions go. As I mentioned earlier I did this mod in a garage and it was freezing that might have had something to do with them looking so bad. When the headlights are on it looks cracked. I am thinking of using meguiars ultimate compound at the end to make sure the gloss comes out. But please somebody give me some insight. Thanks In Advance.

Jonathan, your best bet is to go on Youtube, and run a quick search on how to buff and polish paint. This way you can actually see what people are doing, and replicate their steps to achieve the same results. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.