Opinions Firestone AT / Firestone Destination LE2 / Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

bfrench

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Hi, Folks,

I'm coming near the end of the Goodyear Wrangler AT tires useful life - still have about 4 or 5 /32" left after 45000 miles so I'm in the game for new rubber soon.

I put on the 255 70R 17 along with a Suspension Maxx lift and 1 1/2" spacers when I did the tires - the TB has never driven better - the wider stance makes highway driving very pleasurable plus I don't worry much about snow.

I've looked at the Tirerack surveys and I'm surprised that the Firestone AT is rated number 1 in the AT category and the Firestone Destination LE2 is number 1 in the All Season section and when comparing the three that the Destination LE2 tops all three.

The Firestone tires are all 5 to 7 pounds lighter than the Goodyear AT and I'm wondering how this affects performance and durability.

Plus the Firestones are about $50.00 cheaper per tire - is this a buyer gets what he pays or paying too much for Goodyear?

Most driving is highway with a little back farm usage once in a while.

Any and all opinions please.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i'm running 265-65-18 AT's in summer, and 265-70-17 AT's in winter.
both on stock rims, MarkMc's 3" lift and 1.5 spacers.
clearance is close (on fenders) no rubbing or cutting required.
overall, happy w/ them, great for me in winter, never been stuck(knock on wood)
louder tires than the stock LE's that came with it. but the trade off is:
w/ the spacers, a tire that fills the wheel well decently and a meaner stance.
wet traction could be better, a few spots on my way to work (stop and go, about 2 miles total commute)
in wet weather have broke them loose, but only @ certain stop signs.
being from up north, where you prob have snow longer than chicago area,
i think you will be happy w/ the AT's. just my :twocents:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have Firestone Destination ATs on my truck. I drive on the road almost exclusively. They are rated for 50k miles but I'm at 57k miles and counting with 4/32" tread left. Good wear, good traction, no mpg hits either to speak of as I still get the rated MPG out of my truck or even a little above sometimes.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another set when these need replaced before the next winter gets here.

I think highway tread tires on trucks looks lame :tongue:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I have the first gen Destination LEs on my tb and in powder snow,gravel, and on pavement they are ok....but I have a pair of half worn down Yokohama Geolandar I/Ts I plan on putting on the front with a new pair on the rear on steel winter wheels come fall...once these firestones are worn out im going with something else on the oe rims.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
We have the Destination AT's on both my Dakota and the wife's TB. LOVE these tires on and off road!

I had used the Wranglers for several years, even went to an AS but hated it. Tirerack helped me to select the Firestone's, along with help on the forums.

Good luck!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I have the A/T's on mine and are quite happy with them, except for traction during in the wet off the line. I'm actually looking at getting new tyres after the Chicago meet and I'm 95% sure I'll go with the LE2's.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Get the Firestone AT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online