old spark plug condition

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Member
Feb 27, 2012
53
Today , i changed the spark plugs in my 2004 TB , it has 153,000 miles on it. it was kinda rough getting a couple of them out , the plugs were very dry coming out. they also had a white ash on the tip. I pulled out Autolite XP 605 spark plugs , im not sure if those were factory or not , im think person who did the spark plug job before me didnt use Anti-seize, i put in the recommended ACDelco iridium 41-103 and its drive great now! View attachment 19273t how do they look? Sorry if picture is blurry. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Snapshot_20120304.JPG
    Snapshot_20120304.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 142

JCJARHEAD

Member
Dec 7, 2011
128
I am no mechanic....but am pretty sure the AC-Delco's come standard on our rigs. If you search....you will see lots of discussion and advice NOT to use anything other than AC-Delcos for optimal performance. Some of the posts are quite emphatic. Many feel that at least the forward O2 should also be an AC-Delco product.

Just wanted to share. I think there is another poster on here actually found a sale on plugs if I remember...maybe search and see if you can find it. Good luck!
 

MacMan

Member
Mar 3, 2012
194
AutoLite plugs did NOT come in this vehicle from the factory. The AC Delco's you put in are the correct replacements, and will work great. Hopefully, you did put a small dab of anti-seize on the threads....makes removing them much easier later on.

Just for the record, I replaced my plugs at 100K, and used NGK's......they run just as smooth as the AC Delco's, and have never given me a problem.....they have 90K on them now.

But I WILL be using the AC Delco's on the next change at 200K.:yes:
 

seanpooh

Member
Jan 24, 2012
461
Using anti-sieze is the key to make the change next time easier. As for type of spark plug, stick to AC Delco for no problems but you can use any other brands. Members have had problems with the plugs that have multiple tips. I personally use NGK Iridium IX plugs with no problems.

As for the ash deposits, I looked at the Champion sparkplug book I have at work. It states that "the deposits is caused by excessive oil or gass additives. If the deposits are on one side, this is an indication of upper engine wear (valves, seals, cylinder head, piston). If the deposits appear all around the electrode, this usually means lower engine wear (cylinders, piston)."

I'm not trying to alarm you or scare you. Your engine should be fine since it's still running great. Maybe the gas stations you fill up at or something is causing it. Are you using top tier gas? Are you using additives? Just keep it in mind.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
MacMan said:
Just for the record, I replaced my plugs at 100K, and used NGK's......they run just as smooth as the AC Delco's, .:yes:
Not to worry, "just for the record", NGK make the plugs for AC Delco.


Like GM, AC Delco makes very few (if any) of the parts which carry their name.
 

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Member
Feb 27, 2012
53
seanpooh said:
Using anti-sieze is the key to make the change next time easier. As for type of spark plug, stick to AC Delco for no problems but you can use any other brands. Members have had problems with the plugs that have multiple tips. I personally use NGK Iridium IX plugs with no problems.

As for the ash deposits, I looked at the Champion sparkplug book I have at work. It states that "the deposits is caused by excessive oil or gass additives. If the deposits are on one side, this is an indication of upper engine wear (valves, seals, cylinder head, piston). If the deposits appear all around the electrode, this usually means lower engine wear (cylinders, piston)."

I'm not trying to alarm you or scare you. Your engine should be fine since it's still running great. Maybe the gas stations you fill up at or something is causing it. Are you using top tier gas? Are you using additives? Just keep it in mind.

The gas stations i fill up at have crappy gas , i can tell a difference when i fill up at a Shell gas station it seems to run better. but not so cheap $$$. Thanks for the response.
 

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Member
Feb 27, 2012
53
MacMan said:
AutoLite plugs did NOT come in this vehicle from the factory. The AC Delco's you put in are the correct replacements, and will work great. Hopefully, you did put a small dab of anti-seize on the threads....makes removing them much easier later on.

Just for the record, I replaced my plugs at 100K, and used NGK's......they run just as smooth as the AC Delco's, and have never given me a problem.....they have 90K on them now.

But I WILL be using the AC Delco's on the next change at 200K.:yes:

i wonder why the people before me put Autolite's in it hmm, seemed to run fine with them in it, but the Ac delcos are way much better! , Thanks for the reply!
 

suburbs

Member
Jan 6, 2012
86
Crappy gas?

There are only so many refineries out there, not like they are buying it from a guy that refines it next to his moonshine still. It all comes from basically the same pipeline/trucks.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
suburbs said:
It all comes from basically the same pipeline/trucks.
This is true, but each retailer can customized the additives that are mixed with the gas as the truck/tanker/ship leaves the refinery.

Some will leave it alone and have it pumped into dirty/watery holding tanks, others (Top Tier) will add the additives and keep the delivery process clean.

Google "Top Tier"
 

Mark20

Member
Dec 6, 2011
1,630
I don't know if this true elsewhere but the refineries in Philadelphia operate in a pool coordinating their operations. Just the additive packages differ for each brand.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,236
Posts
637,132
Members
18,404
Latest member
Zoie

Members Online

No members online now.