OIL PUMP???

jblancarte

Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Help!!! 06 Denali with 5.3. Using a ton of oil and occasional pressure drop. Figured it was the valve cover and possible guage/sending unit. Had mechanic change Valve cover and immediately after driving away pressure dropped and the warning popped up on the dash. Brought back to mechanic and he assumed it was a bad gauge. He called me this morning and said it was the oil pump and the engine is getting no oil pressure after warmup. If that was the case, wouldn't i have noticed the issue before the valve cover change? Am i getting hosed? He's a new mechanic i've started using, but has always been honest and fair with his prices.

jblancarte

Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Thats what i told him to check.... i hope he did that before pulling the oil pan! Would there be any reason why this would happen after the Valve Cover replacement and not before?

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
jblancarte said:
Thats what i told him to check.... i hope he did that before pulling the oil pan! Would there be any reason why this would happen after the Valve Cover replacement and not before?

It appears to me that this was happening before, based on your original post.
Clean the small filter below the pressure sensor and hook up a mechanical
pressure gauge to check oil pressure.

jblancarte

Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Finally confirmed engine is losing pressure. Filter screen below sensor looked brand new when I took it out. Hooked up mechanical guage and I'm getting 9-14 psi at idle when engine is warm. Any other thoughts before I load this up with 20 weight and Lucas and drive it until it explodes!!!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
jblancarte said:
Finally confirmed engine is losing pressure. Filter screen below sensor looked brand new when I took it out. Hooked up mechanical guage and I'm getting 9-14 psi at idle when engine is warm. Any other thoughts before I load this up with 20 weight and Lucas and drive it until it explodes!!!

We were trying to start with the free/cheap stuff first, which is where the screen came from. It was worth a shot at least.

Now I'm beginning to suspect it is indeed the oil pump, assuming your oil is of correct weight, not contaminated, and the proper amount is in the engine.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
jblancarte said:

When you speed the engine up to 2,000 rpm's, what is the pressure?
How many miles on this engine? What weight oil is in it now?
To the best of my knowledge, 15 psi at idle would be reasonable for a 100,000 mile engine.

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
im going through this problem now, the truck has an extended service plan but i need to shell out the $1800 to dismantle the engine to find the bad pump. Could it be the relief spring in the pump hanging open? i find it hard to believe this happens so much and the pump is truly bad when its probably and accompanying part.i need help asap. i cant afford that kind of money.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
oh05ext said:
im going through this problem now, the truck has an extended service plan but i need to shell out the $1800 to dismantle the engine to find the bad pump. Could it be the relief spring in the pump hanging open? i find it hard to believe this happens so much and the pump is truly bad when its probably and accompanying part.i need help asap. i cant afford that kind of money.

Have you first checked the built-in oil filter? Not sure if it's on all the 5.3s or just ones with the DOD, but here's an article on it:

Engine code p0521 - Ask the GM Technician - GM-Trucks.com

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
the trucks at the dealer now, im leaning towards it just being the bypass spring on the side of the pump but who knows.ill let them know about that though

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online