oil pan is leaking how do I remove pan?

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
How do I remove the oil pan off of a 2003 5.3 2wd Trailblazer? I have searched the site and can't really find anything. Is it a bad job to do? It's got 130 thousand miles and is leaking pretty good

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Seeing the OP is 2wd it should not be as difficult. No axles running though the oil pan. Looks straight forward in the service manual for the 2wd.

Notice: Remove the oil level sensor, located in the oil pan, before the oil pan is removed. The sensor may be damaged if the oil pan is removed first.
  1. Remove the oil level sensor.
  2. Remove the oil pan bolts and nuts.
  3. Install two of the oil pan bolts into the threaded holes (jack bolts) to break the seal of oil pan (1).
  4. Remove the oil pan.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Hmm, maybe the 5.3 pan isn't as involved as the 4.2. I've only had one vehicle with the 5.3, not a TB, but never even though about looking to see how the pan comes off.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Just realized i looked at the 4.2L Little more involved with the 5.3L. Doesnt seem like much though.

Important:
• The original oil pan gasket is retained and aligned to the oil pan by rivets. When installing a new gasket, it is not necessary to install new oil pan gasket rivets.
• DO NOT use the oil pan gasket again. When installing the oil pan, install a NEW oil pan gasket.

1. Remove the left closeout cover and bolt.
  2. Remove the right closeout cover and bolt.
  3. Remove the oil pan bolts.
  4. Remove the oil pan.
Important: DO NOT allow foreign material to enter the oil passages of the oil pan, cap or cover the openings as required.
Use care not to gouge, score, or damage the oil pan sealing surface.

Drill (3) out the oil pan gasket retaining rivets (2), if required.
Remove the gasket (1) from the pan.
Discard the gasket and rivets.

Remove the transfer tube, baffle and other components, if required. Refer to Oil Pan Cleaning and Inspection

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
I guys thanks for the reply. I bought the trailblazer for my wife last Thursday and it was leaking when I got it. I haven't crawled under and washed everything off yet but the pan is covered. I assumed it was the pan

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looked it up on AllData and these are the differences I have found from the 4.2:

- remove starter
- remove left transmission inspection cover
- remove battery cable channel from front of pan
- loosen two upper A/C bracket bolts
- remove two lower A/C bracket bolts
- if replacing gasket, drill out gasket rivets (as per above but AllData says it is reusable unless damaged)

Apart from those, everything else is pretty much the same, including taking out the rack and pinion.

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
So it's a pretty good job. I highly appreciate all the info guys! I'll wash it up good and make sure it's the pan. I'm pretty confident it is

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
One thing to try before removing it is check all the pan bolts. My brother's first car leaked horribly from the pan. The bolts were just loose. Tightened them down and the leak practically stopped with only the occasional drip.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online