Oil on spark plug

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I found a lot of oil on plug #3 when installing new 103s. The truck has 157k miles. It appears (below) this is coming from above the plug. It must have been leaking for a while. I found oil on all treads and at the electrodes... :hissyfit:

The truck is new to me, so I have no idea how long it's been doing this. It runs perfectly except for CPAS issues that I will be addressing soon.

Appreciate any insight.

View attachment 23850

A side question about the new board. Is it cool to post questions like this if there are several similar threads at the old site? I will do some research over there, but assumed we want to build the knowledge / history over here now. If correct, you guys get a TON of credit for answering some of the same questions again.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P1040828.jpg
    P1040828.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Valve Cover Gasket is known to leak on these. you can try to re torque the cover down ''its plastic be careful'' or replaces the gasket ,not the easiest job . Mine leaks some and I torqued them and stopped most ,But still has a little oil on the last plug.

bravad'oh

Sep 15, 2012
I just found the same thing on my truck on #3. I retorqued all the rocker cover bolts I could get at but the ones under the intake I left alone. I don"t believe it is a big problem as there was only about a 1/8 ounce. I sopped it up with a rag before I removed the plug so it would'nt go into the cylinder.
I will keep an eye on it but until leaks substantially more it will be fine.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
There are individual rings around each spark plug well along with the gasket.

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I don't want to be accused of a ghetto-fix, but back in the day, I would consider cleaning the hell out of this area with degreaser to remove ALL oil residue. Then apply a thin layer of Permatex along the leaking locations to form an 'external' gasket. Am I dreaming, or has anyone tried this? :undecided:

Bolts would be loosed before Permatex is applied, then tightned after it begins to cure. I am talking 20 years ago, so tell me if I am nuts. If not, I may give it a shot. We'll call it old school. :cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.