Oil leak from the sensor above the oil filter?

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I just had my engine steam cleaned after the oil change I did and it was spotless! So today, 3 weeks later all the royal purple oil is gone so I went under the truck and sure enough a ton of oil all over the frame and filter. So I look there was no leaks around the filter but the sensor or sending unit for the oil pressure gauge was soaked with oil, so I wiped it clean with a rag and with in seconds it started to get wet.
So my question what is it sensor or sending unit right above the oil filter and has anyone else had this issue. Thanks guys

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be the pressure switch. Common failure but not to that extent.

Reactions: Redbeard and Mounce

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Well I only could see from the bottom up but when I have the wheels off this weekend to work on the suspension I’m going to check to see if it may be coming from somewhere else but to me from what I can see is that it’s just leaking from the seal and running to the end then just dropping down off of it or I’ve seen the second cam shaft sensor (the long silver one that u have to move the power steering bottle to get it out) have the oil blow right threw it into the plug so mane that’s the same situation here. In either case it’s time to order a new sensor smh I love this truck but it seems like it never ends lol, atleast it keeps me busy lol

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Yep, on Rockauto site it comes in as "Oil Pressure Sender/switch" for my '04 tb with the 4.2. ( I didn't look which engine you have)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I’ve seen the second cam shaft sensor (the long silver one that u have to move the power steering bottle to get it out) have the oil blow right threw it into the plug so mane that’s the same situation here.

That would be the CPAS (or cam solenoid). If you have oil coming out of that, it needs to be replaced as well.

Same engine I have the V6 Vortex

You mean I6 :biggrin:

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
That would be the CPAS (or cam solenoid). If you have oil coming out of that, it needs to be replaced as well.

You mean I6 :biggrin:
I6!? What do you mean. I’ve done a TON of work on my truck, I’ve replaced every single part of the suspension and I mean everything but there are still a lot I’m stupid about your reply being one of them lol sorry

Sorry I meant the VVT sensor, the long silver metal one. I’ve replaced mine a few months ago but I saw them at the Chevy dealership where my buddy is the head mechanic.
I apologize if I wrote it wrong I meant I’ve seen oil spitting out of the VVT sensor on other trucks, mine was causing issues with the oil pressure gauge but never any oil that pushed threw it

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Question for all of you. I went tonight and got two rolls of plumber tape. If I take the sensor out and wrap the threads with the plumbers tape I’m logically thinking that by doing this it should seal it up tight and the oil leak will stop, well unless the oil is blowing out right threw we’re the wire connects.
Well what do you guys think? 😃 thanks guys!!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Uhhhh... Probably not... What you should consider doing next is just replacing the Leaking OP Sensor. If you look at an OEM Replacement Oil Pressure Sending Unit depicted in the attached image... notice that it features two means of sealing up against the Engine Block versus the 65 PSI affecting it:

(1) Red Thread Locker-Sealant
(2) A Red Teflon "O" Ring

If yours is leaking steadily... you should guard against over tightening the M16 X 2.00 Threads into the Aluminum Manifold...or you run the risk of Stripping the Threads and/or Cracking the Engine Block. Start from Scratch, Put in a Brand New One ...and Avoid Over-Torquing the New Sensor:

Note the Unique Exteriors "Rounded Hex Corners"

GM42LOILPRESSURESENSOR.jpg

And just on the outside chance that the Plastic Electric Connector has already been damaged or cracked ... Get the Proper Tool- Special Socket designed exclusively for installing and removing the GM Oil Pressure Sending Units. This one from Lisle should do the Trick:

Note the Unique Interior "Rounded Hex Corners" for this tool:

GM42LOILPRESSURESENSORTOOL.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online