oil leak advice

fullcircle

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
OK we took our 03 Envoy 4.2 on a 9 hour drive. When we arrived I noticed a couple of oil spots on the driveway. Never had a oil leak before. Look at the engine on the lift I am seeing oil around the transfer case and where it goes into the oil pan. Is this area known to leak? Also looks wet at the end of the transfer case where it hooks to the half shaft. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Tom

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
fullcircle said:
OK we took our 03 Envoy 4.2 on a 9 hour drive. When we arrived I noticed a couple of oil spots on the driveway. Never had a oil leak before. Look at the engine on the lift I am seeing oil around the transfer case and where it goes into the oil pan. Is this area known to leak? Also looks wet at the end of the transfer case where it hooks to the half shaft. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Tom

I'm no mechanic, but the seal on the front diff be leaking (drivers side?)? Again I am no mechanic sorry.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Does the oil by chance have a blue tint to it? Have you ever changed your transfer case fluid?

Could be blown back by the wind but hard to say, could be a trans leak.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Just as a point of reference, that thing between the drivers half shaft and the oil pan is your front differential. The transfer case is attached to the rear of the transmission.

Yes, the drivers half shaft seal is a known leak spot. Mine started leaking last fall. Regulator has an article on replacing a passenger half shaft. Same thing applies to the drivers side. The seal is a dealer only item (about $17). Bearing is $10 and worth having on hand before you get it all apart. One thing he doesn't mention is separating the upper control arm from the spindle so you have room to pull the half shaft out (his was broken and already MIA).

fullcircle

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
The oil doesnt have a blue tint to it. It looks more like engine oil. So when the front differential goes into the oil pan is it open to the engine oil? And if the seal is bad it will leak? Do all the front differentials use the blue dif fluid?

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
fullcircle said:
. So when the front differential goes into the oil pan is it open to the engine oil?

Not at all.
fullcircle said:
And if the seal is bad it will leak? Do all the front differentials use the blue dif fluid?

Before we continue, do a simple test. Go up top and open your hood. Look on the drivers side fender in the engine bay. In a black plastic casing will be two steel lines (they are your power steering high and low pressure lines). The lines rot in the plastic case, drip right down onto the front drivers side half shaft/differential area. And PS fluid can look like engine oil.

If you check that and there is no leak at the lines, run your fingers along the differential where there is fluid and smell it. Axle lubricant has a very distinct pungent odor. Whereas, engine oil does not.

Ive replaced my axle seal twice already. Dont want to immediately say its your axle seal until you rule out the PS fluid.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
fullcircle said:
Do all the front differentials use the blue dif fluid?

This would only apply to the transfer case, which uses a fluid that is blue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.