Oil Filter Options

de3jr88

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
I have been a fram user for more than 20 years. Recently I have been seeing alot more negative stuff about the quality of material used in the manufacturing process, such as the cardboard end caps, the metal strip that holds the pleat seams together and the number of pleats in the filter itself.

So my question is, what does the GMT Nation recommend for oil filters? I use synthetic 5w30 oil, and the Envoy only goes about 12000 km's per year mostly highway driving. I am leaning toward the NAPA Gold or Platinum series.

Looking for any and all opinions.

Thanks

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
de3jr88 said:
I have been a fram user for more than 20 years. Recently I have been seeing alot more negative stuff about the quality of material used in the manufacturing process, such as the cardboard end caps, the metal strip that holds the pleat seams together and the number of pleats in the filter itself.

So my question is, what does the GMT Nation recommend for oil filters? I use synthetic 5w30 oil, and the Envoy only goes about 12000 km's per year mostly highway driving. I am leaning toward the NAPA Gold or Platinum series.

Thanks
I like the AC Delco PF 61E last one was 3.97 at wal mart.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I609.pdf

there are more expensive ones, but I am unconvinced. I also usually change the oil by the time it gets below 50%, which is probably a waste of oil.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
The NAPA filters are made by uhhh ummm Wix? or Purolator I can't remember which one right now but they are good to go ...

I use Purolator PureONE filters myself...

And the Delco ones are made well also..

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I prefer to use AC Delco's on my vehicles. Although recently Meijer had 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 + a Mobil 1 filter for $29.99. I have the filter on my pickup and have no complaints with it.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Delco, Mobil 1, Wix, NAPA Gold, Purolator Pure One, K & N.....all good filters. My pref. is Wix (who also makes the NAPA line).

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have a Bosch filter on mine, it was part of a mobil 1 oil change special at Advance recently. I noticed it is slightly shorter than the Mobil 1 filter I had on there previously. Not too keen on that, but then I'm not sure if the mobil 1 filter was actually longer than the original AC delco filters or not. That very well may be the case.

Looks like according to that link the AC Delco filters are actually pretty crappy.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
You can't forget about Amsoil.

I also seen that K&N is making a reusable oil filter for $230... little skeptical on that one.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Amsoil is not readily available and costs so much more. I can't see myself using any of it, really.

And to be quite blunt I don't trust K&N reusable filters of any sort. Do they advertise it "flows more" than the average filter as well (by not filtering as much)?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
de3jr88 said:

Thanks

If your engine is clean on this inside then any premium quality filter should suffice. I like McGMT's suggestions. I use AC Delco but if money was no object I would get Napa Gold which I think is the same as WIX. being you have a 2003 you might want to run a few flushes over the next few oil changes if it has never been done so you have some sort of baseline for cleanliness.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
I have a Bosch filter on mine, it was part of a mobil 1 oil change special at Advance recently. I noticed it is slightly shorter than the Mobil 1 filter I had on there previously. Not too keen on that, but then I'm not sure if the mobil 1 filter was actually longer than the original AC delco filters or not. That very well may be the case.

Looks like according to that link the AC Delco filters are actually pretty crappy.

Good read, thanks. The AC Delco filter results were surprising, but you have to wonder if different filters are built to different filtering specs. I mean cost wise, if an OEM manufacturer (on each specific engine) requires a filter that gets xx% of particles then each filter for each engine might be different. I would love to test a PF61E and comparables to see.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
it is not obvious what the impact of a slightly better filter will be. seems like these engines are for the most part good over 200k miles if you change the oil and filter.

do not know the profile of particulate contaminants from operation and normal wear are in used oil, and effect on wear if the fraction not caught in the filter stay suspended until the oil change.

for comparison, my VW jetta TDI engine oil is totally black within a day after an oil change, due to suspended soot particles, and the recommended change interval is 10,000 miles. and the oil stays clean enough for the turbo, which should be more sensitive than anything in our engines.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
meerschm said:
it is not obvious what the impact of a slightly better filter will be. seems like these engines are for the most part good over 200k miles if you change the oil and filter.

The impact is how far beyond about 150-200K do you want your engines to go. You could use the cheapest oil and the worst oil filter and these engines will likely run 200K on regular changes with no issues. Fact is parts wear, ie bearing surfaces, crank journals, cam lobes, etc... and the wear scar on these areas of contact will start to show their face at this point and there's no healing process except for new parts.

It's definately an interisting article, I have been a fan of Amsoil products and their filters are no exception. I'm guilty if using the AC filters and Pure One for a long time at regular intervals, nice to know Royal Purple compares to the Amsoil filter the way it does and is avail locally.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I use Purolator L25288 Classic Oil filters at around $5 each.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I sure am surprised that AC Delco tested so poorly. They were (or are) original equipment filters on GM cars and trucks.
In 25 years in the business, never had a problem with ANY oil filter.

de3jr88

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for all the input everyone, this has been a great discussion on filters. The biggest factor I think most of us have is what is available in your area. Personally, Fram is the biggest supplier around here, with Quaker state and Motomaster (Canadian Tire) the next most available. I think I will be using the NAPA Gold or Platinum based on what I have read about them. The Platinum is for extended service with synthetic oil and costs $16.00 CDN, the gold can be used with synthetic but is not intended for extended service although they dont say what the service interval is, and costs $9.00 CDN. The other thing I have noticed is the Fram filter is noticeably shorter than the Napa filter. I'm not sure what difference that makes, but the overall surface area of the filter media is considerably larger in every filter compared to Fram. Plus the Napa store is close to my house, and Auto Value is opening soon.

My changes are pretty regular around 7500km's and my oil is never black when I change it. As for the Synthetic oil, I usually buy what is on sale as long as its not Quaker State. I put it in my other vehicle and developed a lifter knock when cold almost right away. Changed the oil after about 2000km's because I couldn't stand listening to it any more. Put in Pennzoil Platinum and the knock was gone. Plus the Pennzoil was on sale for $18.99 for a 5 litre jug so I bought 4 of them.

Again thanks for all the great input.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
MacMan said:
Delco, Mobil 1, Wix, NAPA Gold, Purolator Pure One, K & N.....all good filters. My pref. is Wix (who also makes the NAPA line).

Those are what I use, and what the research I've done has said are the best. However, I try and use Pure One filters if available, because they're relatively cheap for a top end filter, and because they're the only filter that I've sent in a used oil sample with, that I've gotten back in the comments: "We don't know what filter you're using, but keep using it! Filtration is excellent!"

Mike

Reactions: RD Joe

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online