Oil Filter Comparison / Testing (Results may surprise you)

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
I found a site where someone did in-depth testing on just about every oil filter on the common market. While the same site has been noted within a few threads on the Nation, I felt a dedicated thread to share the wealth may be worthwhile (not everyone would know to look for this).

While personal opinion/preference will always prevail, this test data is pretty conclusive and very unbiased.

Main page with links to test data and results: Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

Immediate link to the comparison page: Untitled Document

Happy reading... :undecided:

Reactions: dmanns67

ShadowClutch

Sep 5, 2012
Similar to a different comparison I once saw on the OS.

Not sure about the others, but Amazon carries the Mobil 1 filter, which scored pretty well in that study, M1-206 for $8, shipped, sales tax free for most states.

Reactions: dmanns67

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh great, now what am I supposed to do with the 4 new ACDelcos I have?? :mad: And I just changed the oil in my '08 Montana and still halfway in my TB, both with Delcos. I have been a Fram hater for a while now but I may actually go to the XG.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
I know...... use what you've been using and change later, or change. It's been working with what you have.... oh, the decisions! :lipsrsealed:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
After the AC Delco "E" filters came out and I noticed the build differences I stopped using them.

The XG might filter slightly better but the lower surface area bothers me. Probably will stick with the Mobil 1 filters.

*edit* LOL at the Shell filter :hahano: That thing is awful :uhno:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, and even the ACDelco/STP make the regular Frams look good :tongue:. The Mobil1 are hard to come by here. Probably on my next trip to NY I'll pick up some. I had opened up an Auto Extra and a Mopar that were exactly the same. They actually look better than the ACDelco/STP.

[video=youtube;7vhK9ftRWZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhK9ftRWZY[/video]

[video=youtube;EaX9xcMvEE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaX9xcMvEE0[/video]

mcc

Apr 8, 2012
I chose the larger of the two compatible Fram XGs after doing some research on BITOG. What can I say; it's an oil filter- it seems to be doing its job just fine.

Note that these are now sold as Fram Ultra. I wouldn't recommend buying any other grade of Fram filter based on my reading. Better alternatives exist to their cheaper models.

Edit: The part #s for the I6: XG3675, XG3506 (shorter, yet the only one Wally World carries :no:)

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I'm surprised(or not) at the low ratings for AC Delco and STP. Sometimes I think that some of this filter stuff is overkill, hell, not too long ago oil filters were options on cars and many had none at all. This is when oil was very basic and synthetics weren't invented yet, and still cars went beyond 100k miles.
I admit that I have been caught up in all of this filter analness but, sometimes I feel that we are being played by the manufacturers. :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee