Official Thread: CAN 5.3L SWB Scangauge Codes...

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
OK, so there's surprisingly little information about this, so I thought I'd start a thread about it... This isn't really an engine mod or tune, and it isn't a transmission mod, though it monitors both... It's not an OEM issue, so it doesn't go there... Because of the lack of a "general" 5.3L section, I'm putting this here, and if the powers that be want to move it, so be it...

This thread is for the working codes for '06 - '08 5.3L SWB Trailvoys, with the CAN system (The TXD/RXF can be slightly different than the standard OBDII Trailvoys)...

These are the same as the "GM CANSF" on the sheet, here: http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf

- Knock Retard
- Engine Oil Temperature

These are different than the "GM CANSF" on the sheet:

- Transmission Temperature: A guy with an '08 said he was just able to use the "Allison" codes, but that did not work for me... I called, and apparently the 4th bit of the TXD is the location bit, where the computer stores the value in memory... If the regular code doesn't work, you can change that 4th bit (it's a "0" on the code sheet linked to above) from 0 to F, and it could be in one of those... The TXD that worked for me was: 07E2221940 (without the "01" at the end)... The rest of the values were the standard values from the "Transmission Fluid Temperature (ex Allison)"



As I get more time to mess with this, I'll post up codes that work... If any of you who have the same CAN 5.3L vehicles can add your own, that would be great... I'm specifically still looking for:

1. OLM
2. TCC Clutch Slip %
3. TCC Lockup on/off/PWM
4. Fan speed, commanded
5. Fan speed, actual

Thanks,
Mike
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bow_Tied

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Breakthrough... the first 6 digits are all that changes for the codes to change from old style to CAN... Anybody got any good old-style codes for #2-5?? Bill?

I think I found good ones for #2 and #3, from the gassavers.org, but will need to do the conversion on them, and put them in and see...

Thanks,
Mike
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Ok, so I got TCC PWM and TCC slip to work...
TCC PWM:

TXD: 07E2221970
RXF: 046205190670
RXD: 3008
MTH: 0004000A000
NAME: TPW

This may do some strange things when you are off the gas (shows 98-100 when not in lockup... I think the computer is putting out 98, but the relay just isn't closed), but it's right when you are in lockup...

TCC SLIP % (1/10):

TXD: 07E2221991
RXF: 046205190691
RXD: 3010
MTH: 0001000A0000
NAME: TCS

Remember, this is a 1/10, so if it says 213, it means 21.3% slip. Because of the math, it displays a large, 4-digit number on negitive slip (coasting), and doesn't display the correct number (100%) when completely stopped.

I did learn some interesting stuff from these 2 gauges... The % of the pwm on the tcc lock varies in order to keep the slip % above 1.5 and below 5% (at a PWM of 20 - 45%)... Most of the time... When you are on the highway (especially above 70mph), the PWM goes up to 60-65%, and the slip goes between 0.1, 0, and the negitive number... I suspect it does the same thing at lower speeds, while towing in 3, but have not had the chance to mess with this just yet...

--------------------

As an asside, I wonder if we could get PCM4LESS to give us the 4-digit PID codes for the fan speeds, then use the same math, etc, as another RPM, to get the fan speeds displayed on the scangauge...

Mike
 

alltimeqb

Member
Dec 4, 2011
6
Barton, I'm new to this stuff so not much help, yet.

These codes are for the Scangauge product, right? And you're talking about a 5.3 liter short wheel base TV, right?

Will the Scangauge (I'm assuming this is the small rectangular display unit that you put in the truck for constant monitoring) read just about anything once we have the bits & bytes figured out?

BTW, don't own one, just been looking for something that will work on my '06 TB 5.3 v8 and my '99 Tahoe 5.7 liter.
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
alltimeqb said:
Barton, I'm new to this stuff so not much help, yet.

These codes are for the Scangauge product, right? And you're talking about a 5.3 liter short wheel base TV, right?

Will the Scangauge (I'm assuming this is the small rectangular display unit that you put in the truck for constant monitoring) read just about anything once we have the bits & bytes figured out?

BTW, don't own one, just been looking for something that will work on my '06 TB 5.3 v8 and my '99 Tahoe 5.7 liter.

Right, right, correct, and yes, anything OBDII...

Mike
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
This thread is where I got the VPW codes for the above, and just sort of figured out how to make them CAN codes... The VPW codes are here:

ScanGauge II XGauge codes - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum

Post #4 by Theholycow:

GM VPW codes as tested on my 2002 GMC Sierra 5.3/4L60E. Some are imperfect and I hope to keep working on them, but they're useful enough to post. The PIDs I used were found mostly at PIDs - HP Tuners Bulletin Board and I made the codes myself.

-=-=-=-=
Transmission input and output shaft speeds. Looking at these two, you can determine your gear ratio (and therefore which gear you're in). Looking at ISS and engine RPM, you can determine your TCC slippage.

Transmission Input Shaft Speed: ISS
TXD: 6C10F122194101
RXF: 046205190691
RXD: 3010
MTH: 0001000A0190

Transmission Output Shaft Speed: OSS
TXD: 6C10F122194201
RXF: 046205190692
RXD: 3010
MTH: 0001000A0190

Problems: The last four characters in the MTH code, 0190, are the hexadecimal representation of the number 400, which has to be added to mine. I'm not sure why. By the time ISS or OSS read ~1000 they are accurate. At very low speeds they are not, and at a dead stop they read 400.

-=-=-=-=
Torque Converter Slip Speed: I called it TCS, but TSS or TCC could work for you.
TXD: 6C10F122199101
RXF: 046205190691
RXD: 3010
MTH: 0001000A0000

Problems: This code suffers from one bug: Negative slippage is displayed as 65535-abs(value)/10. So, -100 would be displayed as 6453.

-=-=-=-=
Torque Converter PWM Duty Cycle: I called it TCP but TPD or TDC or TCC might work for you.
TXD: 6C10F122197001
RXF: 046205190670
RXD: 3008
MTH: 0004000A0000

Problems: I don't think there are any.

Observations: When TCP is up, TCC slippage is up. I would have expected the opposite.

-=-=-=-=
Transmission Pressure: TP
TXD: 6C10F122199D01
RXF: 04620519069D
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000100010000

Problems: I don't think there are any. I have no way to confirm.

Observations: When TP is up, TCC slippage is down. I didn't realize that this pressure is used to adjust TCC slippage along with TCC PWM Duty Cycle. Is this the same pressure as is often called "Line Pressure" and controls how stiff the shifts are? That question is rhetorical here, I'll ask it elsewhere...

-=-=-=-=
Ignition Voltage: IV -- this shows voltage of the ignition wire in the dash, not the spark plug wires.
TXD: 6C10F122114101
RXF: 046205110641
RXD: 3008
MTH: 0001000A0000

Problems: I think it can be improved to show more accuracy. It seems to show whole numbers only.

-=-=-=-=
Requested Idle Speed: IDL
TXD: 6C10F122119201
RXF: 046205110692
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000A00010000

Problems: I don't think there are any.

-=-=-=-=
Intake Air Controller: IAC
TXD: 6C10F122117201
RXF: 046205110672
RXD: 3010
MTH: 000100010000

Problems: I don't think there are any.
 

Rmitch223

Member
May 18, 2012
10
I have a 09 GMC Sierra w/ 5.3L LY5 & 4L60E. I have tried every set of codes on the scanguage website for Air Fuel Ratio & Transmission Fluid Temp and have had no success.

Do you have these codes?
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Rmitch223 said:
I have a 09 GMC Sierra w/ 5.3L LY5 & 4L60E. I have tried every set of codes on the scanguage website for Air Fuel Ratio & Transmission Fluid Temp and have had no success.

Do you have these codes?

Read the first post in this thread...

Mike
 

Rmitch223

Member
May 18, 2012
10
I got transmission temp to work, but still haven't had success with the air/fuel ratio.
Do you have the codes for air/fuel ratio?
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
If they're not in this thread, and aren't listed in the X-gauge codes, I don't have them.

Mike
 

SAR85

Member
Jan 31, 2012
74
Bartonmd said:
...
As I get more time to mess with this, I'll post up codes that work... If any of you who have the same CAN 5.3L vehicles can add your own, that would be great... I'm specifically still looking for:

1. OLM
2. TCC Clutch Slip %
3. TCC Lockup on/off/PWM
4. Fan speed, commanded
5. Fan speed, actual

Thanks,
Mike

Did you ever get OLM? If not, I may have it for you.
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Rmitch223 said:
What exactly is the TCC PWM?

Torque Converter Clutch Pulse With Modulation percentage...

SAR85 said:
Did you ever get OLM? If not, I may have it for you.

I did not. Please do post it! (even if it is for the I6... With the PID code, that's the hard part)

Rmitch223 said:
Does anybody have the codes for oil pressure?

IIRC, isn't oil pressure one of the ones in the codes sheets? Or is that oil temp?

Mike
 

Rmitch223

Member
May 18, 2012
10
What code sheets are you referring to?

I haven't found codes for oil temp or pressure on the scanguage site.
 

SAR85

Member
Jan 31, 2012
74
Bartonmd said:
Torque Converter Clutch Pulse With Modulation percentage...
I did not. Please do post it! (even if it is for the I6... With the PID code, that's the hard part)
...


The OLM PID (4.2, but should work the same on 5.3) is 22119F.

I just found that it is listed here: GM Specific : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge so you should not even have to figure much out. I used the X-Gauge information and converted it to the values I needed to for this to work in Torque and it works fine. (I have a VPW vehicle but with the CAN headers [07E0] it should work for you as well).
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Rmitch223 said:
What code sheets are you referring to?

I haven't found codes for oil temp or pressure on the scanguage site.

Oh man, they re-did all of their X-gauge stuff... I'll see if I can find an old one that had it... I know I have at least oil temp programmed in mine.

Mike
 

Rmitch223

Member
May 18, 2012
10
Bartonmd said:
Oh man, they re-did all of their X-gauge stuff... I'll see if I can find an old one that had it... I know I have at least oil temp programmed in mine.

Mike

Yes, please list the codes if you have them.
I need Air Fuel Ratio, oil temp, oil pressure and transmission line pressure if you have them.
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Rmitch223 said:
any luck with those codes?

Completely forgot I offered, and didn't see your post accepting... I'll try and remember to look, tonight...

Mike
 

Bartonmd

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Rmitch223 said:
No problem man, If you get a chance to help me out I would appreciate it.


I looked in the glove box of the TB, and the paper was nowhere to be found... I'll try and dig the codes out of the Scangauge if I get some time...

Mike
 

Rmitch223

Member
May 18, 2012
10
Had time to look up the codes man?

Sry to keep buggin yah, but I dont have any options left to acquire them...
 

Bow_Tied

Member
Dec 21, 2014
453
London, ON
Bartonmd said:
- Transmission Temperature: A guy with an '08 said he was just able to use the "Allison" codes, but that did not work for me... I called, and apparently the 4th bit of the TXD is the location bit, where the computer stores the value in memory... If the regular code doesn't work, you can change that 4th bit (it's a "0" on the code sheet linked to above) from 0 to F, and it could be in one of those... The TXD that worked for me was: 07E2221940 (without the "01" at the end)... The rest of the values were the standard values from the "Transmission Fluid Temperature (ex Allison)"


Thanks for putting this thread together. Expecting to have post a question I first did a search and was pleasantly suprised to find this little corner of the topic already in place.

I copied your note to use the Allison #s (it appears that all the numbers for the Allison / non Allison are the same except for that "2" you noted). And it worked for me. I added the V8 Barometric pressure too. Tomorrow I may add the knock retard as well.

Thanks for putting up the info!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bartonmd

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,428
Posts
639,193
Members
18,646
Latest member
rjs1026

Members Online