Odd tick at Idle

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Ive noticed this for some time now, I notice it when it is warmed up and at idle it makes a *tick tick tick tick*and when i give it some gas it speeds up and starts to fade. I'm believing it might just be a bad Fan clutch. I can hear it better underneath the drivers side than the engine compartment itself. If it is a bad Fan clutch is there any harm to it by not replacing it right away, since its been like this for who knows how long. If anyone has some answers i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks,Alec

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Sometimes ticking can be a pulley or the belt. You might want to disconnect your fan briefly and see if the tick
goes away. If it does, then yes, it's likely that the clutch is eventually going to fail, but that could be awhile
down the road. Do you hear the fan roar for a long period of time when you first start up?

AFAIK, there's no harm in leaving it until you're ready to deal with it, unless, of course, it actually fails. Usually,
that just means your truck loses power from the fan load, and sounds like a jet engine until you replace it. :wink:

Good Luck!

Chris

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Depends on where it's coming from. Get a mechanic's stethoscope and start poking around.

FWIW, when I replaced my water pump (V8 model), I put in a new Dorman fan clutch as "preventative" maintenance while I was at it. The old clutch never made a peep. The new one ticks at idle. :hissyfit:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online