Odd radio behavior

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've had a problem for awhile now that my stock radio is not picking up stations very well, but I haven't had time to trace the antenna and see if it came unplugged somewhere. On my current route to work, all stations fade out about 1/2 mile away from my parking lot. Usually I just turn off the radio at that point, but today I was distracted and forgot. When I turned off the engine, the radio stayed on as normal (until I open the doors), however my radio station popped back on! I checked through all the other programmed stations, and they were all coming in. So I turned the ignition back on (but didn;t start the engine), and the stations immediately faded out to almost nothing. Turn the key back to Acc and the stations come in again...

What is going on here??? Now I'm wondering if this has nothing to do with my antenna, but rather something in the electrical? Has anyone ever run into anything like this before? This is the first time I've noticed it, but I don't listen to the radio all that often.

For the record, I have the stock Bose 6-disc stereo, no extra amplifiers or anything like that. The only extra electronic equipment I have is a radar detector, and I turned that off to make sure it wasn't causing interference with the radio (although this issue has been going on since long before I got the detector).

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
it is very possible that it is a short inside the stereo my mother had the exact same stereo and the ignition power shorted to the antenna and the same thing happened and once in a while when she hit a bump everything worked for a bit till it shorted again. so that is very possible

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
Shdwdrgn said:
I've had a problem for awhile now that my stock radio is not picking up stations very well, but I haven't had time to trace the antenna and see if it came unplugged somewhere. On my current route to work, all stations fade out about 1/2 mile away from my parking lot. Usually I just turn off the radio at that point, but today I was distracted and forgot. When I turned off the engine, the radio stayed on as normal (until I open the doors), however my radio station popped back on! I checked through all the other programmed stations, and they were all coming in. So I turned the ignition back on (but didn;t start the engine), and the stations immediately faded out to almost nothing. Turn the key back to Acc and the stations come in again...

What is going on here??? Now I'm wondering if this has nothing to do with my antenna, but rather something in the electrical? Has anyone ever run into anything like this before? This is the first time I've noticed it, but I don't listen to the radio all that often.

For the record, I have the stock Bose 6-disc stereo, no extra amplifiers or anything like that. The only extra electronic equipment I have is a radar detector, and I turned that off to make sure it wasn't causing interference with the radio (although this issue has been going on since long before I got the detector).

Hey, do you happen to have HID's in your truck? if so, this is what is probably causing the static. as for the reson the radio turned on by itself.. NOO idea. But my radio was coming in staticy as well and i found out that it was because of my HID ballast..

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
No HIDs, I just have the stock lights. Also to clarify, the radio did not come on by itself... I was talking about a feature where the radio continues to operate after you turn off the engine, until such time as you open the doors.

The antenna short is certainly an idea, but I don't see why that would happen with the ignition switch? Maybe if I had and automatic retractable antenna - but I don't. Did you ever find a fix for this?

Jerry Jastram

Oct 25, 2015
USA
Bringing up an old post here. My 05 TB developed the exact same problem. In ACC position it pulls in FM stations from all over. When I switch to IGN/RUN position I lose the stations. I replaced the ignition switch to rule that out and that didn't help. I sent the radio into https://www.1factoryradio.com and had it serviced. It still fades in IGN/RUN but in ACC it blasts out like it did when it was new. Tomorrow I am going to call the repair place and see if they test the outputs to the Radio Antenna Module or have some idea of what is wrong.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I dont know for sure, but I am almost willing to bet its either a ground corrosion at the antenna mast, or, the ground distribution block by the passenger seat has some corrosion/worked itself loose.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
---^--- +1 Good Idea... Can't Hurt to Check HERE:

Jerry Jastram

Oct 25, 2015
USA
I GOT IT FIXED. When I did the DLR KILL with Auto ON/OFF switch I used JeTT Auto Tech's version 2 diagram. At the time I did this I never drove out of town and listened to the same local station and didn't notice station fade. This week I have been watching some of MAYO3LT's videos on youtube. He had a little bit different way of wiring the kill. So I tried his way and it fixed my radio problem. drl3.jpgThanks for the input, I did add a star washer to the ground by the passenger ground cluster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online