not connecting to ECU

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Have you successfully paired to the adapter in Android Bluetooth settings?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Also, have you checked fuse #13 in the under hood fuse box?

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Yes bluetooth is connected and paired. Didn't know about fuse 13. I assume that manages that circuit only, because every thing else is working. I'll check in a bit.

Thanks!

Edit: Though I couldn't pull fuse 13 (didn't know we don't have a fuse puller tool), I read it is the fuse is for the cigar lighter and that works.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If Fuse 13 was blown, the adapter wouldn't power up and be connectable via Bluetooth.

If other code readers can talk to the PCM, you have a bad adapter.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
the roadie said:
If Fuse 13 was blown, the adapter wouldn't power up and be connectable via Bluetooth.

If other code readers can talk to the PCM, you have a bad adapter.

Being on the road, I don't have my corded one with. Sunday debug, I guess.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Robbabob said:
Being on the road, I don't have my corded one with. Sunday debug, I guess.

Stop into an autozone, ask them if you have any CEL codes

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I've been wanting an ELM to fart around with but based on reviews it seems like there is a good chance of getting a DOA unit.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Well you only pair with it in Androids bt settings. You don't connect there. Then in torque you go to odb2 adapter settings and select the adapter to connect to

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Also make sure you used the correct pin to pair, mine was 6789. The only thing I used the mini cd for, the code was in a text file on the disk

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Mine took forever I just got it all set up on My Galaxy tab. I literally let it sit in the truck for 5-10mins and all of a sudden it started reading revs they are picky little things

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
jimmyjam said:
Well you only pair with it in Androids bt settings. You don't connect there. Then in torque you go to odb2 adapter settings and select the adapter to connect to

Ah, not sure if I did that.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Made sure to connect to the device after bluetooth connected. Nothing..... corded unit works fine.

Next unit should be a _______________.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Update.... learning curve is constant!

It seems some of these dongles don't work with Fords, other don't work with Chevys, etc. Apparently, this one works with Dodge, not Chevy. I got the exact one that was said to work on the TB/Envoy, so I have no clue why it works on my Dakota and not the TB.

This one has great reviews, has an on/off toggle, and is said to work with all brands of vehicles.
BAFX Products (TM) - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'll update this thread again when it arrives in a day or two.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Robbabob said:

It seems some of these dongles don't work with Fords, other don't work with Chevys, etc. Apparently, this one works with Dodge, not Chevy. I got the exact one that was said to work on the TB/Envoy, so I have no clue why it works on my Dakota and not the TB.

This one has great reviews, has an on/off toggle, and is said to work with all brands of vehicles.
BAFX Products (TM) - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive

That is the exact same unit I have, and it works flawlessly. I have only unplugged it once to read a neighbor's codes for him. Other than that, it has been plugged in constantly, and haven't had a single problem. Its been plugged in a little over 4 mos now, and I use it every day.

Edit: Same unit, just mine isn't switchable.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Conner299 said:
Edit: Same unit, just mine isn't switchable.

Unit arrived! But it doesn't have a switch. While the listing does not describe a switch, the pictures on Amazon.com do.

Wife has her TB at work; will test it when she gets home.

davidaward47

Apr 9, 2012
I had one, could not get it to connect to ecu. they sent me another same thing. i can read it on my laptop and see the bluetooth connect but fails to connect to ecu. mine uses pairing code 1234 if you try 6789 blietooth won't finalize connection and you get an error message. Time to try another brand i guess

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Robbabob said:

That's the one I have too, works just fine.

davidaward47

Apr 9, 2012
whats strange with mine is it worked on my wife's saturn. I'm not sure what protcol saturn uses i would think the same as a trailblazer.

LikeEnvoy

Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
2016 and my bluetooth elm327 is sitting on a table gathering dust. So is the replacement they sent; both connect by bluetooth and read back the elm version but fail to connect to the ECU.
So has anyone found a solution since the last post in this thread?

I could really use it now because my gas cap light and check engine light keeps coming on.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Did you try the one listed at Amazon? I bought one from either Amazon or ebay (looks like this, not sure if this is the buyer I chose - link) and it works fine in many vehicles and manufacturers. I have tried it in Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Pontiac, and maybe a Jeep (can't remember if I used this or if he went to AZ or the like).

Good luck!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online