Noobie air ride questions

Decado

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I looked at and drove a 2006 Envoy SLT with the air ride suspension last night. The rear end was sitting low when I first saw the truck. Once it was started up, the air compressor started, the ride height rose to where it should be, and it drove great. When we got back to the lot and turned the car off, it sank back down. Obviously there is a leak in the system somewhere but I am wondering if there is any way to pinpoint that before I purchase the vehicle. I guess I am thinking that if it only needs new air bags that it's not a big deal but if I need a new compressor it might make purchasing the vehicle out of the question.

I called the sales department this morning and asked them to have service take a look at it. I had to speak to a random salesman because the rep I talked to last night was off, and this guy told me that it was just because the truck was parked on gravel and it just looked uneven. :undecided: That's all very interesting since it was not parked on gravel before or after I drove it last night. I love how sales people think everyone is an idiot and they spew whatever garbage they want. Regardless of his terrible answer, I am still interested because the price is pretty reasonable. I asked him to have service take a look at it and call me back today to let me know why the system is leaking. I will obviously have my own mechanic take a look at it, but that won't be free and if I know this is going to be a costly repair that they won't take care of pre-purchase, it might be worthwhile to walk away sooner than later.

Thoughts, opinions, or things for me to look at with this situation? Am I on the right track with my reasoning, given your guys' knowledge of these vehicles?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
How do you know there is a leak? My good buddy's 07 Envoy rises and falls every start and shutdown. I believe it is load adjusting depending on what you have back there. There will be more responses soon...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It shouldn't drop that fast when turned off. You're right to be concerned. Arnott Industries makes an aftermarket compressor and improved design air bags, and you should check out their web site for an idea on the cost.

Bags do deteriorate with time, and many members here have replaced the bags with OEM or Arnott coil springs to make them more maintenance free. If you need adjustability for towing or offroading (like me) you can always add Airlift 1000 helper bags to the inside of the coils, and only inflate them when you have a high cargo weight or towing hitch weight.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Or. ...you can buy a set of bags I have laying around that are in good shape.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I just posted this in your intro thread;

I have the rear air bags and like the way it rides, I'm a lil biased tho as I've never driven one with springs. I really like that the ride height goes back up when I put one of my trailers on, at night the headlight beams stay level instead of pointing up blinding oncoming traffic and shining on the tree tops instead of down the road where I need em. I laugh when see people have the back end of the car sagging low, trailer tongue low and ass end of trailer up in the air...

Mine sags a bit overnight or after sitting for a while maybe 1/4". If they don't wanna fix it maybe you can negotiate a better price and fix it yourself. You can spray soapy water on the bags n lines and look for the leak. Possibly one of the bags are leaking. Arnott sells replacements at a decent price, so does jrSS.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...15_pid120.html. If not the bags I believe GM sells some kind of valve repair kit for maybe $35-$50.

The compressor must work since it does inflate when you start it up, but I think eventually it'll get overworked n die from the constant use. If the leak is big the pump will be running quite a bit.

Decado

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I got a call back from the original sales guy who told me they checked out and replaced both air bags in the rear suspension and now it does not sink down after being turned off. I'm very glad to hear this, going to look at the vehicle again tonight and will probably bring it to my own mechanic in the next couple days.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online