Noise on highway?

Marksman762

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I know noises are hard to diagnose or explain over the 'net, but I'll do my best:

I've noticed a weird humming noise from about 35-60MPH (have not gone faster) coming from the drivers side front wheel area, as far as I can tell. It sounds very much like the noise you would get from a flat or low tire, or even similar to when you roll over light rumble strips, just not quite as loud or intense. It doesn't sound like a grinding noise of any kind. There are no vibrations. I recently had the tires rotated, but that didn't change the noise, same before and after. Both tie rods were recently replaced too. I starting noticing the noise around two or three months after they were replaced.

When I replaced the tie rods I didn't notice any movement in the wheel bearings. My guesses are it could still be a wheel bearing, or maybe something with the front differential? I replaced the front dif fluid a couple months ago, everything looked good. If I recall there were not any special additives or anything for the gear lube.

Any thoughts or things I should check?

Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles? Any other maintenance history on the bearings? Bearings go out more often than diffs, so I think you're on the right track. Does it change behavior at all when you side load it by turning left or right?

Marksman762

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
116K miles. No known bearing history since I've owned it (almost two years now). Come to think of it, no, I've not changed loads on it at those speeds, I always forget to check that. All the highways in ND are straight :smile:

I'll experiment with that a bit and let you guys know what I find. Worst case I take it somewhere for a diagnostic, but hopefully that can be avoided. I like doing things myself.

I there a bearing somewhere in the dif that would be making this kind of noise? It doesn't sound like the noise is coming from below me, more towards the wheel, but I know sounds can be deceiving.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The transfer case and front diffs have a lot of moving parts that can make noise. And it can bounce around under the vehicle and appear to be somethere other than the true source. I (and others) have even changed the WRONG SIDE wheel bearings after getting fooled. But if you have good fluid level in the TC and the diff, it's statistically more likely to be the bearing or the CV shaft. Hard to troubleshoot those on a lift with the suspension dangling and no load on the bearing. Sometimes shotgunning is the best tactic, especially after 100K miles when it's about time for new parts anyway if you want to keep the vehicle for a long time.

You can always allow the noise to get worse until something starts wobbling. Then you'll know for sure. But it takes brass ones or a bit of desperation to get off a trail and back to pavement to let it go that far.

[video=youtube;B_Q8Cmruxic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Q8Cmruxic[/video]

Marksman762

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Driving home I didn't really notice any noise changes when I was swerving around a bit on the highway. In town I don't hear the noise so I didn't notice any changes while turning.

I got the front end in the air tonight and played around a bit. The only thing I noticed was on the drives side, when I spin the wheel, I can feel a slight vibration/movement in the control arm (I think? linkage above the wheel, goes around the strut...). The PAX side didn't have any vibration.

Would that be a sign of a bearing failure? There was no play in the wheel whatsoever on either side. I was actually hoping the driver's wheel would move, but it was solid.

Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When my hub bearing went there was no noticeable play in it, but like you described you could feel the roughness vibrations in the front suspension on that side while the other side was smooth.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I had the same noise you are describing between 35-60 mph. Turned out that both my driver and passenger side hub bearings were going out at the sametime.

I did not notice any excessive vibrations or play, just the noise coming from the wheel area. I think I was around 110K miles when I noticed the noise and had the bearings replaced.

Marksman762

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I ended up taking it into the family mechanic since I was in the area over the new year. He found the PAX side bearing had play in it, but the driver's side was tight. He replaced the PAX side, however I still hear the noise, which he suspected I would. Both bearings need replacement. Job is half done, just have to buy another bearing and finish the job on the driver's side.

He checked all other suspension and driveline components, everything else was good: CVs, ball joints, etc...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online