Noise in front end of 9-7x

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I recently purchased a 9-7x 5.3i about 3 mo ago. Now every morning when it's cold out i have a loud noise when i turn left and return the wheel back straight. The noise happens after i turn the wheel to the left and begin turning it back to the right to straighten it. Any idea what this could be? I haven't got a chance to take a look underneath but the noise is loud enough it should be pretty easy to determine what the issue is.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Noise like in the power steering system or a suspension component making a metallic clicking?

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I can actually get out and put my hands at 3 o'clock and 9o'clock on my LF wheel and it makes a clicking noise. Almost sounds like the wheel is loose but i tightened them this morning.

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I assumed this but will confirm when I climb underneath.

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Sorry. When folks post an observation that looks like a technical question, I salivate like Pavlov's dogs and rush to answer it. It's my boy scout nature.... :rotfl:

dog_driving-892.gif

That pic looks just like my dog! :rotfl:

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
So it turns out my tie rod jam nut was loose causing the noise. I tightened the jam nut and the noise has since gone away. BUT, it had some marks on it like somebody had used the incorrect wrench on it and i can feel a bit of movement in my inner tie rod. I'm guessing the inner tie rod may have already been replaced at one point. So i'll be watching for that to start acting up and most likely replacing that next summer. Most likely will need brake pads, rotors, and an alignment by then also. Thanks for the help

mika

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
Sorry. When folks post an observation that looks like a technical question, I salivate like Pavlov's dogs and rush to answer it. It's my boy scout nature.... :rotfl:

dog_driving-892.gif

Roadie's back..:crackup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online