No more 31" antenna!

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I bought a metra glass mount antenna to get rid of the ridiculously long stock antenna. It was only $19. :biggrin:

Here it is

Amazon.com: Metra 44UA200 Univ Glass Mnt Amplfd Ant: Automotive

It gets better fm reception than my stock antenna. I didnt think it worked well at first because I was trying to use an adapter from autozone. I couldnt get a clean signal. The trailblazer plug is a female small sized antenna socket, and the glass mount plug is a male large size antenna plug.

In the end, I ditched the adapter after I realized the center pin on the large one (male glass mount antenna plug) would just barely fit inside the small plug (female trailblazer antenna socket) After I plugged it in using this method, I was getting more stations than I ever had before.

I also did not use the power wire, I left the new antenna un powered and it works great!

I would say the am reception is about equal to the stock antenna.

Questions?

No more antenna!

Attachments

• 20130619_195928.jpg
    20130619_195928.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 54

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I've been thinking about the hideous antenna myself. Any pics of it installed?

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
triz said:

Got dark before I finished installing it. It is to the right of the rearview mirror, right up against the headliner, in the black dotted area.

I was actually getting a perfect signal (all but one preset, and that was 95% clear) with the antenna under the glovebox kickpanel.

Will get some pics tomorrow!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
triz said:

Hiding the antenna under the wiper cowl works great and its free. Much cleaner look than a stubby antenna IMO.

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Hiding the antenna under the wiper cowl works great and its free. Much cleaner look than a stubby antenna IMO.

Yeah, I didnt want to go with a stubby, because I read elsewhere there were reception issues.....

I actually heard that the wiper cowl method caused reception to suffer as well.

Did you do the wiper cowl method?

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
I played around with the wiper cowl method, and i get all the stations i need. It depends on how you do it and make sure to ground well. I have been running antenna free for 2.5 years. :wootwoot: I do suffer when I hit a valley, and half my stations do not get reception. Its OK i guess. Dont let the mod bug bite too much. :rotfl:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
IHZ05VOY said:
I played around with the wiper cowl method, and i get all the stations i need. It depends on how you do it and make sure to ground well. I have been running antenna free for 2.5 years. :wootwoot: I do suffer when I hit a valley, and half my stations do not get reception. Its OK i guess. Dont let the mod bug bite too much. :rotfl:

Ha! I have no cure for my moditis. The TB is the family car so it has minor mods but I always look for an excuse to upgrade something.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
not sure how much they've changed, but 10 years ago I tried a windshield antenna like the OP, got horrible reception

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
24v 4.2 said:
Yeah, I didnt want to go with a stubby, because I read elsewhere there were reception issues.....

I actually heard that the wiper cowl method caused reception to suffer as well.

Did you do the wiper cowl method?

Yes sir I did. I seem to still get the same radio reception. Although, 99 percent of the time I am listening to XM Radio or a CD.

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
triz said:

Ive got my antenna under my wiper cowel. Just unbolt the two bolts, then lay it up under the cowel (not sure if thats the correct spelling) and then ground the antenna to one of
the bolt holes. Totally free looks awesome. Found that mod on the OS before i came over here:biggrin:

....didnt read far enough:biggrin:

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Reception was crystal clear on the way to work. I am definitely getting more stations with this than the stock antenna.:thumbsup:
Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 20130620_074443.jpg
    20130620_074443.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 29

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I wonder if I would have any issues with running this with my stubby and splicing the wires to one adapter. I know the Jetta has a duel wire antenna which picks up damn near everything. With the aftermarket adapters only taking on of the plugs it gets horrible reception, bought a dual adapter and its as good as stock.

Might order one to try it out.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
This looks really good. I may have to consider it.

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
I'm about to buy this, how did you route the wiring? through the pillar under the hood? did you go through the firewall? could use some details my good man. :undecided:

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
CDJuda said:
I'm about to buy this, how did you route the wiring? through the pillar under the hood? did you go through the firewall? could use some details my good man. :undecided:

I couldn't edit my original post. I ended up getting some static after I had my windshield replaced and the antenna got tugged on. I pulled apart the antenna and found a loose solder connection on the circuit board. I re soldered the connection then added the 12v source and antenna plug adapter.

I ran the wiring down the pillar. Then you need to hook into a 12 volt source inside the dash. I had run a power wire for my radar detector from the rear fuse block already. The actual plug for the antenna was behind the glove box (I accessed it from the kick panel underneath the glove box). I just unplugged the stock one and plugged in the new one with an antenna adapter (large female to small male).

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
24v 4.2 said:
I couldn't edit my original post. I ended up getting some static after I had my windshield replaced and the antenna got tugged on. I pulled apart the antenna and found a loose solder connection on the circuit board. I re soldered the connection then added the 12v source and antenna plug adapter.

I ran the wiring down the pillar. Then you need to hook into a 12 volt source inside the dash. I had run a power wire for my radar detector from the rear fuse block already. The actual plug for the antenna was behind the glove box (I accessed it from the kick panel underneath the glove box). I just unplugged the stock one and plugged in the new one with an antenna adapter (large female to small male).

So I'm a bit confuzzled... I need to run power to it, and then the other part of it would just run to the back of the radio right? Since I don't have power running to anything how would I go about doing that? Just run a wire from the battery to the glove and add a fuse before the connection to the antenna?

chief0299

Jul 1, 2013
I did this same thing shortly after reading your post. I couldn't find the adapter, so I stripped off the ends of the new antenna coax and the old one and made the small one work by soldering and re-crimping.

In the overhead console... there is a pink (ignition powered) wire. I tapped into that for ignition only power for the antenna.

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
CDJuda said:
So I'm a bit confuzzled... I need to run power to it, and then the other part of it would just run to the back of the radio right? Since I don't have power running to anything how would I go about doing that? Just run a wire from the battery to the glove and add a fuse before the connection to the antenna?

Same type of plug as you would find on the head unit, but the stock antenna has a (extension cord basically) from behind the glove box to the back of the head unit. I plugged the new antenna into the extension cord instead of taking the dash apart to access the back of the head unit.

As far as a 12v source, its up to you where you want to get power from. A switched fuse (powered only when the ignition is on) is the best option to avoid the antenna always being powered. However, if you use a switched 12v source; the antenna will not be powered when RAP (retained accessory power) is engaged. (When you turn off the car without opening a door and the radio stays on you will lose fm signal.)

I used an add a fuse on the rear fuse block and tapped into a switched fuse (I don't ever use the RAP anyway...)

chief0299 said:
I did this same thing shortly after reading your post. I couldn't find the adapter, so I stripped off the ends of the new antenna coax and the old one and made the small one work by soldering and re-crimping.

In the overhead console... there is a pink (ignition powered) wire. I tapped into that for ignition only power for the antenna.

This splicing method should work just as well as the adapter for the antenna plug.

I would have tapped into this 12v source as well if I hadn't already run the power for my radar detector.

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
Antenna removed! Looks great! The original adhesive for the on-glass antenna was a little weak so I went out and grabbed some better stuff but besides that no complaints! Get a great signal, no static at all! :wootwoot:

View attachment 30780

View attachment 30781

Attachments

• -4.jpg
    -4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13
  • -5.jpg
    -5.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 12

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members