No cranking. P0340 code

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Ok I did google and search here but 1> I don't see complete relation and 2> Roadie confused me with a link on that "other" site which I see a $34 part and then a $90 part. ok enough with I'm sorry I made another post about this mumbo....

Ok.. My daughter told me today her car is not starting. she turns the key past accessory but it does not crank. she tries it again and vroom. she says this happened twice today and maybe twice in the last month or more... hard to pin actual valid info from her...
She said the check engine light was on today and then went off. (I dont know how long or if it was between off on cycles)
I checked the codes and saw a P0340. I changed her oil and reset it last week and change it when it gets below 5%.

camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. I did not look to see if it was leaking ASSUMING this is the part behind the power steering pump. We replaced a clogged Cat around 6months ago. It has been running nice since that replacement.

Cruise control is working she says...

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
bspurloc said:
Ok I did google and search here but 1> I don't see complete relation and 2> Roadie confused me with a link on that "other" site which I see a $34 part and then a $90 part. ok enough with I'm sorry I made another post about this mumbo....

Ok.. My daughter told me today her car is not starting. she turns the key past accessory but it does not crank. she tries it again and vroom. she says this happened twice today and maybe twice in the last month or more... hard to pin actual valid info from her...
She said the check engine light was on today and then went off. (I dont know how long or if it was between off on cycles)
I checked the codes and saw a P0340. I changed her oil and reset it last week and change it when it gets below 5%.

camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. I did not look to see if it was leaking ASSUMING this is the part behind the power steering pump. We replaced a clogged Cat around 6months ago. It has been running nice since that replacement.

Cruise control is working she says...

P0340 is common enough MAY03LT made a really good video about troubleshooting it. [video=youtube;1ZRpcAAbNVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZRpcAAbNVw[/video]

Don't confuse the camshaft position sensor with the camshaft position actuator solenoid (CPAS). One is just a sensor that detects a spot on the camshaft and the other is an oil pressure activated solenoid that changes valve timing. The cam position sensor is on the front of the head and the CPAS is behind the power steering pump.

It also sounds like you have another common problem: the ignition switch. It's problematic to the point that some people on here carry an extra in the glove box. Swap it out. For instructions just search "trailblazer replace ignition switch". Edit: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11447531/ignition switch replacement.pdf

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Well that video was a bit odd not sure I learned anything however this video he mentions if this switch is acting up u will get the trouble starting the engine
[video=youtube;_dIjD0KM8AM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dIjD0KM8AM[/video]
"If your having trouble starting your SUV when you turn the switch then replace it."

Guess I will just replace this. She says the check engine light was on half the day but its ok now.
so advance auto pick up blah
ACDelco Camshaft Position Sensor

thanks

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The electrical part of the ignition switch is not the same as the key cylinder. The switch guts are MUCH cheaper.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
the roadie said:
The electrical part of the ignition switch is not the same as the key cylinder. The switch guts are MUCH cheaper.

Cool thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online