Newbie Here with a couple of Questions

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
New to the forum, well not new but never really posted. Great site loads of information.

Am looking at purchasing a 2006 Envoy XL Denali, but have a couple of questions. This truck doesn't have the two roof mounted antennas, but does have Onstar and Sat radio. My question is am I missing something from the rear view mirror or glass because there's a plug hanging out

e6bb2a19.jpg

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
CdnGMan said:
Welcome aboard...

Any chance that you could get a closer-up pic of that wire that's hanging unplugged?

PS. I take it that your question wasn't answered on the OS? :wink:

Well I did get a chance to go by the dealer today and leave them a deposit.
But here is a close up pic, not a very good one
But it is what it is

fe9ecfbc.jpg

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
jham said:
Welcome. It looks like there is a aftermarket xm antenna on the window.

I've been doing a little research, and I believe that the 06 antenna is not roof mounted or somehow a Onstar/XM antenna, but just wanted to confirm.

It does have RPO code

UQA which is premium audio
U2K which is XM radio
UE1 which is OnStar

To my understanding from the forums, that's what the codes mean

Thanks for all the help in advance

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That isn't the rainsense-wiper sensor is it? :undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't have that option, but that sensor looks a lot like the rain sense option I see in my shop manual. It's probably unplugged because they were notorious for going flaky and turning on the wiper when not wanted.

I'll improve the title of your post to try to attract more viewers.

The OnStar and XM antennas may have relocated from the roof to the front edge of the dash where it meets the windshield. You didn't say whether the XM and OnStar functions worked when you tested them. That's the proof that working antennas exist.

Jason24

Jan 8, 2012
02tahoelt said:
New to the forum, well not new but never really posted. Great site loads of information.

Am looking at purchasing a 2006 Envoy XL Denali, but have a couple of questions. This truck doesn't have the two roof mounted antennas, but does have Onstar and Sat radio. My question is am I missing something from the rear view mirror or glass because there's a plug hanging out

e6bb2a19.jpg

Is there at least one antenna on the roof? I'm pretty sure almost all GM factory installed units started using the combined OnStar XM antenna in 2006. So there would be only one "shark-fin" style antenna on the driver's side of the vehicle.
I agree with the notion that the unit on the glass is for the rain-sense wipers.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
AFAIK, somewhere around '04 the Trailblazer twins received the shark-fin roof antenna. My '05 had Onstar, it did not have xm. It had one shark-fin on the roof (driver's side).

I believe for a few years, xm used a 2nd shark-fin mounted on the passenger side; then, after a few years (maybe '07) they were combined into a single shark-fin on the driver's side.

Point is, there should be at least one roof mounted shark-fin if there is factory Onstar, ans a second if there is factory xm.

If trim is Denali, a standard feature would be the rain sense wipers, that sensor mounted to the glass would be for the rain sense (the black dot coating around the outside edge tells you that it was built that way, a second check is to look at the sensor from the outside, if it looks like a glass eye, it is a rain sensor).

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
Ok, sorry to side track my own thread

But can the hanging wire i have, be that box in the pic and what's it for?
mirror1.jpg

Also, i thought i named this thread " Newbie Here with a couple of Questions"
Mods please change if possible

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
I have an '06 Envoy Denali and the XM/Onstar antenna is one-shark fin style antenna mounted on the driver's side roof. Mine is not the XL version though.

02tahoelt said:
Ok, sorry to side track my own thread

But can the hanging wire i have, be that box in the pic and what's it for?
mirror1.jpg

The plugs on the back of the mirror are for the Onstar controls, along with the compass and the power for the auto-dim feature of the rear view mirror. Not sure exactly if that is what you're asking for though.

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
rzawora said:
I have an '06 Envoy Denali and the XM/Onstar antenna is one-shark fin style antenna mounted on the driver's side roof. Mine is not the XL version though.

The plugs on the back of the mirror are for the Onstar controls, along with the compass and the power for the auto-dim feature of the rear view mirror. Not sure exactly if that is what you're asking for though.

Can you send me a pic of yours, should be the same. But i was actualy talking about this
mirror1-1.jpg

Anyone know what's it for, Is this truck am looking to buy suppose to have one?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
02tahoelt said:
Also, i thought i named this thread " Newbie Here with a couple of Questions"
Mods please change if possible
You had, and I changed it to something more descriptive. In my experience, which may be different from other forums, generic thread titles like you had are less likely to attract qualified responses. But if you insist, I'll restore your title.

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
the roadie said:
You had, and I changed it to something more descriptive. In my experience, which may be different from other forums, generic thread titles like you had are less likely to attract qualified responses. But if you insist, I'll restore your title.

No it's cool, you can leave it like that

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
02tahoelt said:
Can you send me a pic of yours, should be the same. But i was actualy talking about this
mirror1-1.jpg

Anyone know what's it for, Is this truck am looking to buy suppose to have one?

Anyone have a part # for that compass, or do I have to purchase a whole mirror?

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
So did you find the OnStar antenna & does it work? :confused:

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
Porkins said:
So did you find the OnStar antenna & does it work? :confused:

Haven't purchased the truck yet, maybe by next week sometime I'll have it, but I did leave a deposit.
But am guessing it's a Onstar/XM Antenna because the XM is working and I pressed a button on the steering wheel and the Onstar asked me for a phone number to call.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online