New upper ball joints

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
We just had the upper and lower ball joints replaced on our 07 TB. I gave it a look over when it came back from the shop and discover the driver side boot had a rip in it with no grease as well as the passenger side boot looked crooked, not sitting right. We took it back to the same shop (wife works for NAPA and knows these people well). Turns out the passenger side joint was already broken and the driver side just needed a new boot.

Got new joint put on passenger side and replaced the boot on the drivers side. No biggie, right? Well once again I give it a look over when it came back and found this.

This is now the driver side boot looking inproperly installed. The passenger side looked just like this the first time. Would this be broken now to? My question to you guys is, does the boot look ok to you? I don't think it does IMO. It looks and feels as if the grease is getting squished out of the back of the boot where it looks like it's not seated properly.

Thoughts?

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I did mine myself with the help of two of my buddies (of course Little Cesar's was on me lol). It wasn't too difficult after we figured out what was going on.

I'd take that back and have then redo it. If the boot is ripped, you're setting those ball joints up for failure since dirt and girt will get in there. These components have boots for a reason.

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I normally do all the work on our truck. I just did not have the time for this work. If the boot is still ok, I can fix it myself. I just don't like the way it's seated on there compared to the other side. If it's torn I'll take it back. Perhaps I'll get them to remove the trash can to, that way I'm showing that I'm still willing to use there services and perhaps they'll give us a slight discount on that work cause of the hassles with the ball joints/boots.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Looks like the control arm went too far down and pushed the boot down when they were putting it back together. Maybe by taking it to them a third time they'll be tired of seeing you and do a satisfactory job on it.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The boot just looks like it collapsed on itself. Maybe try pumping it with grease to fill it up and expand it.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
What brand are they?

If the boot(s) can be fixed, I'd just go ahead and attempt it, but keep a close-eye on them over the next few months. If that doesn't work, I'd buy a different, possibly better brand. Installation would either be done by me or a different shop.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online