New to GMT - but was on a 'different' site before

keitho64

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
OK so I finally ventured here from another Trailblazer / Envoy site. :smile: Some quick background, I had a 2004 Trailblazer EXT 4.2 4WD since new. It has logged over 140,000 miles and outside of some rust making its way through the doors she still looked great. I was planning to replace the shocks/struts, trans oil change (again) and some other routine maintenance when I found what I thought to be a great deal on a replacement vehicle. I can honestly say my Trailblazer was one of the most reliable cars I have owned so parting with it was not easy. The only issues I had were a couple of failed tie rods, cracked exhaust manifold, rear lift gate cover, failed servo motors on the tach, speedo and oil pressure gauges. Everything else I would consider routine. The Trailblazer was stock except for a K&N CAI and it had a Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust.

However as fate would have it (the verdict is out on if I made a smart decision or not) I just purchased a 2009 Saab 97x with the 4.2. I think with Saab out of business the resale market on these is far less than the TB/Envoy. Since the running gear is basically the same, the only real difference I could see is in the exterior panels and the interior trim. The interior is a major step up from my old Trailblazer but probably more on par with the Envoy.

My Trailblazer was used to tow a 26 foot trailer (4,500lbs) and had no issues. Therefore I figure the Saab will equal or improve on towing. My Trailblazer had the 3.42 gears and the Saab has 3.73. Since the Saab is the smaller than my EXT it is also lighter. Given the difference in gearing and less weight the Saab actually feels a little quicker, but that is not what I bought this for,

I know there are pros and cons to the 4.2 6 vs. the 5.3 8. Given the success I had with the 4.2 I felt confident the Saab would prove to be equally reliable. I truly believe the 4.2 will last 200K without issue (other than the rust I was concerned about).

I did the majority of the repairs myself on the TB so I am comfortable working on this car. The Saab specific items are the only thing I am a little worried about as it pertains to parts availability. However the vast majority of the running gear is GM.

The 97x I found has 20,000 miles and all the options I could ask for. Best of all I felt the price could not be beat. So to me the Saab 97x represents a bargain; it is equal or better to the Trailblazer but the cost is a lot less due to the fear of it being a Saab. While the label is Saab, much of the parts are tried and true GM. If this car is as reliable as my 2004 I will be VERY happy.

I have posted a couple of HowTo's in the past, changing spark plugs on the 4.2 and replacing the outer tie rods. If anyone is interested in seeing them let me know.

So I guess I will be around the form for quite a few more years as I am sure I will be researching different things now and then.

So here are a few pics of the new ride.

Keith

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 65

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Welcome over to the Nation! Much better here! :wootwoot:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
welcome over :tiphat:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
keitho64 said:
I have posted a couple of HowTo's in the past, changing spark plugs on the 4.2 and replacing the outer tie rods. If anyone is interested in seeing them let me know.

Welcome Keith! Feel free to browse the articles section and see if there's anything that you'd like to add.:cool:

You can post your submission here:

Article Submissions

Also I've never asked anyone this before but have you ever stabbed the steering column shroud with the key? I do just about every time I drive a Saab.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Welcome to GMTNation! Nice Truck :thumbsup:, looks really nice!

keitho64

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks everyone. While I have not stabbed the column with the key, I always go there first to pull the key out! DOH!

Quick question on the article submission, is there a way to align the pictures with the steps I wrote up? I tried to enter my tie rod article and when I previewed it the pictures were all at the bottom and not in alignment with the steps.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
keitho64 said:
Thanks everyone. While I have not stabbed the column with the key, I always go there first to pull the key out! DOH!

Quick question on the article submission, is there a way to align the pictures with the steps I wrote up? I tried to enter my tie rod article and when I previewed it the pictures were all at the bottom and not in alignment with the steps.

I've not done an article submission but isn't it like the standard post composition box? If so, when you attach images you can use the image button in the upper toolbar (where the bold and underline buttons are). When you do that it will insert inline something like or something like that. It puts it in line.

Or, if that doesn't work, at the bottom below the submit post button are additional options, where there is an attachments section. You can right-click each picture link, copy the link, then put that in
tags and do it that way. Just this method will show in the post and also at the bottom.

There used to be a fancier image uploader thingy that I think was better, but it was buggy or something I guess.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online