new tire question

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
About 3 months ago I noticed some pretty good wear on the inside edges of a couple of the tires. I took it in and had an alignment done but it was too little too late . I just had 4 new Dunlop Rover HT's put on. Will the alignment be ok for the new tires or do I have to have this redone? took it on a trip this weekend and everything seems ok at all speeds . No shaking at any speeds , tracks straight and the steering wheel is straight. So the question is my 3 month alignment for the new set of tires ok ? Love the tires so far, very quiet.Much quieter than the OEM Continental Contratracs that came on the vehicle from the factory.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Changing tires doesn't affect alignment.

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
the roadie said:
Changing tires doesn't affect alignment.

Thanks Roadie , that's good to know. The tires were more than enough $$$$$ :biggrin:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Check your ball joints for wear. Lift each front tire by the lower control arm and use a prybar under the tire and lift up, observe the lower ball joint. The uppper ball joint can be checked by grasping the tire at the 12 & 6 O'clock and moving in and out.

I was shocked at how much my lower joint was worn.

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
gmcman said:
Check your ball joints for wear. Lift each front tire by the lower control arm and use a prybar under the tire and lift up, observe the lower ball joint. The uppper ball joint can be checked by grasping the tire at the 12 & 6 O'clock and moving in and out.

I was shocked at how much my lower joint was worn.

I would hope they aren't worn out at 40000 miles.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
vipergg said:
I would hope they aren't worn out at 40000 miles.

I wouldn't think so either but that's a decent amount of miles for a near 5000 lb vehicle not having suspension issues.

You stated both the inside of the front tires are worn, that's a suspension issue/excessive negative camber. How often do you rotate your tires? Should be every 4-5K miles max.

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
gmcman said:
I wouldn't think so either but that's a decent amount of miles for a near 5000 lb vehicle not having suspension issues.

You stated both the inside of the front tires are worn, that's a suspension issue/excessive negative camber. How often do you rotate your tires? Should be every 4-5K miles max.

Right thats why I had it aligned about 4 months ago before the new tires , I believe they mentioned something about the camber at the time . Rotations were usually between 6-7K miles . I usually try to keep up with the rotations, have free rotations and balance from Goodyear on the new ones that I bought, Dunlop Rover Ht's .

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
The thing is, if you bad suspension parts, like a bad tie rod, or bad ball joints, whatever alignment you had done isn't worth anything because you had a loose suspension. So if you end up having to replace any suspension, you'll have to get it re-aligned.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Usually a good shop will not do an alignment if you've got bad suspension parts. ( ball joints..tierod ect).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online