New Springs or bags or what?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
So recently ive noticed my rainier is a litte rough over the bumps.

Small bumps at that here in ct we have regular paved roads wich obviously will crack with age...small cracks 1/4 or less thick cracks wich my truck shouldnt really hit as hard as it seems too..

So i posted a video of this example

some background.... bought the car last Feb. only thing ive done suspension wise is new bilstein HD's up front.

I did not change any mounts or springs thats all still what i bought it with.

My rear is air. its pumping to its normal level although i think i may have a small leak it stay at normal ride hieight while driving. along with the air bags it does look to have some sort of shock back there also could this have gone bad?

i plan on doing some major work to this vehicle at tax time

i currently have 177k and want it to last to 277k or atleast a couple more years. I love this truck almost traded it in few months ago (i like change) but i couldnt let her go

so heres the video i know its not much but maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. This could all be in my head too as i usually have music blasting so maybe im just not used to road noise but it being a buick and all shouldnt be alot of that. thanks guys !!!!

[video=youtube_share;k_VLuHV8xeM]http://youtu.be/k_VLuHV8xeM[/video]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Springs aren't usually the item to worry about if your bump performance isn't what you want. Shocks are. If yours are OEM black painted, they were probably toast before 50K. At 177K, they would be ludicrously bad. Throw on some Bilstein aftermarket units and then see if things get better.

Also, what tires are on there and at what pressure?

Ever hear clunking? Ever inspected the anti-sway bar mount bushings or end links? Checked tightness on the control arm (4) and panhard bar (1) mounting bolts?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
the roadie said:
Springs aren't usually the item to worry about if your bump performance isn't what you want. Shocks are. If yours are OEM black painted, they were probably toast before 50K. At 177K, they would be ludicrously bad. Throw on some Bilstein aftermarket units and then see if things get better.

Also, what tires are on there and at what pressure?

Ever hear clunking? Ever inspected the anti-sway bar mount bushings or end links? Checked tightness on the control arm (4) and panhard bar (1) mounting bolts?

I put bilstein HDS on front when I purchased car are you referring to the shocks/struts w.e it is I have in back. I have air ride so I have the bags then the shock looking thing. Replace those????

The tires have 12k on them dealer put them on new they are champiro vp1 235/60/17 98t I told them I wouldn't buy car without new tires and that's what o got there not as wide as the ones on there or as my spare so plan on replacing. .

As far as clunking goes if I go over a speed bump fast I hear what sounds to be a clunk but that's normal as that's just the it extending fully right. That's only time I hear it....I do hear some creaking faintly up front sometimes.

Unfortunately I'm not as advanced with my car as I'd wish I was. So not sure what Or where anti way and end links are to check or what a pan hard is..... I do know what my control arm is so I'll investigate that. Just figured if it was that of have a lot more of an isolated issue

Thanks master roadie. For the responce your the trailblazer rainier encyclopedia.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not sure what you mean by: "...there not as wide as the ones on there..." Do you mean you have mismatched tires front to back?

The shock looking things *are* shocks. The other suspension elements you can easily discover the terms for by Googling.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
the roadie said:
Not sure what you mean by: "...there not as wide as the ones on there..." Do you mean you have mismatched tires front to back?

The shock looking things *are* shocks. The other suspension elements you can easily discover the terms for by Googling.

Sorry... i meant that before purchasing the car the tires were bald well the front 2 needed it more then rear. so the idiot sales guy quickly jumps and say ok we put 2 front tires on for you.. so i proceeded to ask him if he knew anything about 4 wheel drive vehicles or awd vehicles.

He stared at me so i continued to explain all 4 tires have to be the same exact tire same amount of tread same size or will cause damage.

so he puts 4 new tires on but he went the cheap route i think and got a different size tire... so they arent as wide as the ones he took off. also if i ever got a flat id be screwed also as my spare is 255/60/17

thanks for the "shocking" clarification :wink: haha im sure i should beable to google how to tell if a shock is bad?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR