New member with '05 Envoy

Falcon LS

Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
New member here, proud owner of an '05 Envoy SLE 2WD. Bought it in February with 56,000 miles on the clock as a daily driver, and I promised myself I wouldn't do anything other than routine maintenance because I already have a project car - now I've got a huge list of upgrades waiting to be done. :yes: Long story short, I really liked the truck to begin with, now I'm in love. :biggrin:

ftiqw.jpg

11brfpc.jpg

The day I picked her up, I did the following:

- Spark plugs: factory ACDelco/NGK's were shot and replaced with Autolite APP-5263 Double Platinums.

- COP boots: Denso 671-6069, which I was pretty impressed with quality wise. They came with springs as well, so I just replaced them, coated them with dialectic grease and put them on.

- Serpentine belt: another factory part. Replaced it with a Goodyear Gatorback 4060915 (150 amp alternator)

- Air filter: appeared this hadn't been replaced in quite a while. Went with an ACDelco A2014-C

- ATF, filter and gasket: Fluid was original. Went with ACDelco Dexron-VI and a GM 24208576 (deep pan) gasket kit.

- Thermostat: gauge would only go up a quarter of the way and there was a code stored. Replaced with an ACDelco 15-11006.

- Rear axle lube: went with GM 12378261 75W-90 synthetic and replaced the reuseable gasket whilst I was at it. Didn't look too bad, but would rather replace it.

- Power steering fluid: Genuine GM 89021184 power steering fluid. Steering feels better now after I flushed it out.

- Coolant: 50/50 mix of ACDelco Dex-Cool. Original coolant was still in the system and looked sparkling clean once the thermostat housing was removed. Thoroughly flushed out the system.

- Engine oil: the export owner's manual states anything from 0W-30 to 20W-50 can be used, I personally prefer using a 0W-40 or 5W-40 meeting Mercedes Sheet 229.5 spec. It gets a steady diet of either Mobil 1 0W-40 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40, depending on availability, with a Purolator PureONE PL25288 filter.

- Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Verde 255/60-17 106V tires. This is an export size versus 245/65-17 domestic.

- Brakes: Bendix CT-3 pads front and rear with DOT 4 brake fluid

Also got a set of 6 Bosch flow-matched factory injectors:

67092_10153014206445355_156697014_n.jpg

Considering how well matched they are, I also indexed the plugs. They also have stainless steel basket filters (20 microns) to replace the factory plastic ones:

644321_10153014240790355_1571995395_n.jpg

578546_10153014236090355_1677925142_n.jpg

So far, the truck is as smooth as butter and I'm loving the performance/acceleration for what it is. It's got a knock sensor, so I'm running 98 RON (93 AKI) in it. Fuel economy's been pretty good, I've averaged 23 MPG with the 3.73 rear axle so far (mostly highway with cruise engaged). Oil changes based on the OLM are about 9,750 miles on average.

On the downside - build quality, as with other GMs in the family, left something to be desired.The plastic trim on the driver's seat that houses the seat control was snapped off when I bought it. I got a new one, which I will attempt to modify in some way to strengthen the support. I'm on the lookout for a leather wrapped center control lid from a Rainier to replace the one I have (softened in the middle). I'm not complaining though. No squeaks or cracks, etc. which is good news! :thumbsup:

Other than that, I've got a ScanGauge-II on the way. I got a Gentex rearview with outside temperature display/compass on the way as well, once I wired up the OTS, it's good to go! I'm planning an instrument cluster/steering wheel/clockspring upgrade for the DIS and doing the e-Fan conversion - reading up on that at the moment (looking at something with a min 4000 cfm). I'm also considering upgrading the rear end to a 4.10, which I will be looking into, and getting a performance tune on a new PCM (keeping the original untouched in case I need to revert back to stock at any point). Looking at getting Ascender taillights as well, and debadging, tinting. Due to the nature of my job, I've got Whelen Vertex LEDs, along with some other emergency equipment, going on as well (half way through the installation). I'm also looking at the possibility of a column shift conversion with a foot operated parking brake, and doing something about the gap between the headlights/grille and the front bumper.

I plan on keeping her for a long, long time. :smile:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Very clean looking Envoy. I too said that I would keep my TB stock and only spend money on maintenance items, but it does not take too long for me to get bored with something. The mod list continues to grow. It started to grow even faster once I became a member of this great forum :yes:

Welcome to the Nation! :thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

Best. First. Post. Ever.

We're enriched by your finding the forum and community.

Only thing I have to add to your fantastic list of initial maintenance and upgrades, is that the experience of thousands of members over a decade is that the most reliable plugs for the next 100K miles is Delco 41-103 iridiums. Others may work for a few thousand miles, many do not. When they start misfiring, or before if you want to fix the problem before it starts, just put in 41-103.

Oh, and the low coolant temp from the open thermostat might have sent unburned fuel into the catalytic converter, so it may have overheated or started to clog. Might be robbing you of some power.

Falcon LS

Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Thanks very much for all the welcomes and the advice! :thumbsup: Initially all I wanted was a reliable daily driver I would only properly maintain, and I really liked the GMT360 platform. But after researching the platform and the possibilities, I only ended up with another drain on the wallet! :biggrin: It's all good though.

the roadie said:
Welcome!

Best. First. Post. Ever.

We're enriched by your finding the forum and community.

Only thing I have to add to your fantastic list of initial maintenance and upgrades, is that the experience of thousands of members over a decade is that the most reliable plugs for the next 100K miles is Delco 41-103 iridiums. Others may work for a few thousand miles, many do not. When they start misfiring, or before if you want to fix the problem before it starts, just put in 41-103.

Oh, and the low coolant temp from the open thermostat might have sent unburned fuel into the catalytic converter, so it may have overheated or started to clog. Might be robbing you of some power.

Appreciate the welcome, thank you very much! I will go with the 41-103's next time I do the plugs. Due to fuel quality (high sulfur ~500 ppm), I don't go longer than 50,000 miles on them. Having tried many different plugs over the years in various applications, I've found the Autolite double plats to be the most durable with the least gapping, which was why I went with them. It will be interesting to see how they do in this application and then try the Delcos, since they have less than 7,000 miles on them at the moment. :thumbsup:

The previous owner was a diplomat and all he ever did was change the oil/filter every 3,000 miles with Kendall High Mileage 10W-30. I'm not sure how long the car was driven with the open thermostat, but the factory injectors looked like garbage with just 56,000 miles on them. This should help explain the fuel quality here:

577931_10153014206255355_1095157519_n.jpg

525164_10153014206450355_810192285_n.jpg

421877_10153014206555355_1580740460_n.jpg

This was after two tankfuls of GM labeled Chevron Techron. One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post is that I need to retrofit a fuel filter. Here are the new injectors:

522624_10153014206760355_1533034993_n.jpg

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Falcon LS said:
The plastic trim on the driver's seat that houses the seat control was snapped off when I bought it. I got a new one, which I will attempt to modify in some way to strengthen the support.

Welcome aboard!:cool:

If you can find a long term fix for the crappy seat trim, feel free to share! I've tried to strengthen mine so many times and failed that I just gave up.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I'll give you a like on every post you've made so far if you start a thread asking what the strange red wire that's hanging loose near the fuse box is...

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome to the Nation, looking forward to your continuing mod list.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online