New LED bar, now remote start coming back with an error

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I installed my new LED bar yesterday. I hooked it up to the exact same wires as the old one that was hooked up. Now when I try to remote the start the vehicle it goes to start and automatically shuts off. I am getting an error code from the valley light saying the remote start sequence was stopped due to the brak pedal being pushed. The bar is an LED glow red only. I am assuming a few things but wanted to see if anyone had other input. It is hooked up to the trailer harness wiring, everything works as far as turn signals, brakes.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And if you disconnect the LED bar it works fine?

How is the LED bar connected again? From the left or right trailer turn signal wire to ground?

Assuming the remote start is hooked up properly to the vehicle's brake switch line, the flasher module is in the path between the switch and your LED bar. Unless your LED bar is hooked up oddly between 12V and a turn signal wire, and backfeeding the circuit towards the brake light switch, it shouldn't have any effect.

What does your meter read when you measure the LED bar's input wires, both with and without the brake pedal being pressed?

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
The brke input wire for the alarm is hooked up to the brake lead on the flasher module.

The LED bar is wired into the trailer harness behind the spare, I did flip it over so left is right and right is left, it was easier to mount and left me access to the tire winch. So brown to brown, white to white, yellow to green and green to yellow.

The other bar was hooked up exactly the same way, I had no issues with the remote start. I cannot do trouble shooting until after I get off work, and I am only able to use my droid to post.

I will get you meter results then. It worked prior to me hooking up the wiring as I would start it from the rear to double check everything with my meter.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Depending on how the LED bar is designed, the running lamp feed wire (brown) may be leaking or backfeeding into the brake light signals. You might need a couple of diodes to isolate the green and yellow. You'll know much better when you check the voltages.

Do the running light and turn signal/brake light signals turn on a different set of LEDs, or the same ones with different intensity? The designer of the LED bar may have combined the signals with resistors instead of more expensive diodes, and that guarantees backfeeding.

What's the model number of the LED bar and does anybody post a schematic? (I know - asking for a lot...)

Yank rear fuse #42 out to kill the running lamp function and see if the problem goes away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online