new issue

IndyPJ

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Did some driving around town today. Nothing over 50. Got home, parked. Went to move her, she wouldn't start. No click, nothing. Put her in N and rolled back a little, that was all I wanted to her anyway. Then, I couldn't get the keys out of the ignition, and she wouldn't shift. After a couple of minutes I got the keys out. Tried giving her a jump a couple of hours later, nothing. The rear door lock motors kept trying to work, just those. The check engine light would flash really fast. When I applied the brakes, the light would go away.
Right now, she wont start, give up the keys, shift out of park, and the reat locks will randomly go off....
oh yeah, window is down and rain is coming...
Any ideas?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
IndyPJ said:
oh yeah, window is down and rain is coming...
Any ideas?
Yep, plastic sheet and duct tape on the window :raspberry:

You also need a new battery (probably, but it could be the alternator).

Oh, and where did you connect the jumper cables? If you used the red/black connections at the fuse panel, you also need a mega-fuse.

IndyPJ

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
RayVoy said:
Yep, plastic sheet and duct tape on the window :raspberry:

Trash bag is already on, lol.

You also need a new battery (probably, but it could be the alternator).

Oh, and where did you connect the jumper cables? If you used the red/black connections at the fuse panel, you also need a mega-fuse.

Connected battery to battery.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
IndyPJ said:
Connected battery to battery.
Well, you may have a broken/loose/dirty connection at the battery terminal.

How old is the battery?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: When I had a loose battery connection, it acted very similar to what you're experiencing, and jump starting wouldn't work. Turns out, all I had to do was give the positive cable a gentle twist around the axis of the terminal bolt, it seated better, got a good connection, and all was right with the world again.

IndyPJ

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Battery is at least 3 years old. Car quest.

I disconnected the battery, wiggled the positive and negative cable. Ok, it was more than a wiggle. Reconnected and had dash lights and chime. Had neither before. Tried to start it and nothing, keys are stuck again. Going to gave a friend grab a battery from his shop.

IndyPJ

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Disconnected battery again. Negative cable head was hot. Positive is cool to the touch.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
IndyPJ said:
Battery or cable?

Since you said your battery is at least 3 years old, that tells us, it's older than that. You can usually expect about 3 good years out of a battery before it starts to go bad on you. So that would be recommended anyway. If any issues linger after getting that replaced, then address them, but you need a good power source first.

IndyPJ

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Great... The threads on the negative bolt are flattened. New 78 is on its way.

IndyPJ

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
New battery, and all is well! I have had many batteries go bad on me, but none have made my vehicles act that way. Thanks for all the quick responses. The skies cleared and it never rained!
Again, thanks everyone,
Robert

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online