new guy with some questions

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Hey guys new guy here. My wife and I recently bought a 2007 saab 9-7x with 63k miles on it. It runs really good and I've already had the cel come on for a dirty throttle body. It was filthy BTW.

I'm not really sure whe or if the transfer case oil has been changed so im going to change it. My question is I've watched all of may03lt's videos on YouTube so ive got a good idea on how to do it. My question is my truck has running boards on it so its kinda low if I use jack stands or ramps on the front and he able to add the new oil in when it gets close to full of oil will I lose some oil out of the fill hole? That stuffs too expensive to waste it that's why I asked before I go out and so it.

Also is there anything else I should watch on my truck? I'm new to these cars so I don't know any weak points or common problems.

Thanks in advance, Matt

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Glad you found us. At 100K, there's a lot more to do, but you're right on for the 50K worries. Throttle body and transfer case. You need just under 2L of fluid, and you can only buy it in 1L bottles, so don't worry about wasting a little bit. Put it in until it reaches the bottom of the fill hole. You can buy transfer pumps to make it easier, but they will cost around the same as a liter of Auto Trak II fluid.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Welcome! And way to go with being on top of the maintainence!:thumbsup::cool:

The loss will be minimal, nothing to worry about IMO.

The only other thing that I would look at is the battery. If it's the OEM battery from 07, it's close to being in or is in its 5th year of service.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
2007 Saab 9-7x with around 60k miles in central ohio....I think I may have found a twin! :biggrin::wink:

Welcome to the site. Don't forget to fill out your vehicle data in your profile :thumbsup:

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Kinda nice when you post a question and someone actually replies and has useful info. And ok I might try that tomorrow or Monday morning. I've already bought the oil just haven't tackled that project yet. The wife is on me to finish the babies room since he will be here really soon.

Also Roadie I love the picture of sheldon. Makes me smile when i see it. Lol
May03lt I love your videos on youtube. I've watched all of them on working on my truck. Very useful so thanks a ton.

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Mdbt I live in Marion and bought it in marysville last month. It has the 4.2 and is charcoal gray with black interior. Has the rear seat entertainment to keep the kids quiet. Lol.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Welcome aboard!!! I'm not familiar with the Saab, but just wanted to welcome you to the family!!!

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome to the site. I guess we are sort of fraternal triplets as I also have an 07 9-7x purchased from central Ohio but shipped up to MN. Here is the thread with pics from when I bought it last December. Bought a 9-7X...tell me what you think

It is mandatory that you post pics of your ride when you join up to this site.:smile:

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Thanks for the welcome voymom. From what I've read and I could be wrong its exactly the same as a trailblazer but sits 1" lower like an SS. It has 3.73 gears and a limited slip no locking rear diff. And only available in the short wheel base so no 3rd row.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
dingle said:
Thanks for the welcome voymom. From what I've read and I could be wrong its exactly the same as a trailblazer but sits 1" lower like an SS. It has 3.73 gears and a limited slip no locking rear diff. And only available in the short wheel base so no 3rd row.

I have the Envoy, which is the same thing as the Trailblazer for the most part, so the Saab must be a cousin to my truck too? I have the 3.73 as well with a G80 locking rear differential. Mine is the LWB with the 3rd row seats. I have a lot of kids to tote around so the LWB was a must. Had I not needed the LWB I would have went with an SS....but in due time I will have one lol

These trucks are all about the same, until people start making modifications anyways.

Some things I have had go wrong with my truck so far has been

1.Thermostat(Broke the alternator plug when putting the alt back on)
2. Power steering pump(just messy)
3. Water pump(Broke 2 bolts in engine block, but easily removed)
4. Serpentine belt(I heard these trucks eat them up)
5. CPAS(NEVER USE ENGINE RESTORE in these trucks, we learned the hard way)
6. Sway bar end links(haven't fixed them yet as the clunking stopped)
7. Rear HVAC actuator(fixed I think)
8. A few electrical problems that are not major(memory seats have a mind of their own)
9. A few loose wires caused the 4wd to act up(fixed it)
10. Spark plugs
11. Temp sensor
12. Blower Motor
13. Fan clutch

I'm pretty sure I have missed something. My brakes have recently started to whine so those are next on my list of things to do. I have owned my truck for 4 months :crazy: so it's been a crazy experience, but nonetheless I adore my truck, even if he is a little accident prone :biggrin:

I use my truck as my daily driver, and for storm spotting as I volunteer with Emergency Management. Have used it for a little urban off roading, such as hitting, driving over, and popping a few curbs, running into mailboxes, in and out of ditches, and sometimes if I have a hair stuck somewhere I will challenge a few cars/trucks to a road race. It's done it's fair share of doughnuts in the gravel, mud, snow....but it's held up fairly well. The issues I have had with it I believe have been caused by the previous owner not caring for the truck like it should, and I'm pretty sure Phantom is seeking revenge on my husband for dumping the Engine Restore in it a few months back lol.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
dingle said:

Actually the SS is like the 9-7 as the SS copied much of what the 9-7 did. The list of improvements to the 9-7 over the other models is as long as your arm if you use a big font. The end result among other things is a better skid pad rating than all of the other 360 including the SS. The rear end is indeed a 3.73 unless you got the Aero. The differential is a G86 limited slip as standard with no open diff and the need to buy up to a G80 locking diff. Again the Aero is different.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
dingle said:
Kinda nice when you post a question and someone actually replies and has useful info.

Just don't ask us about the Saabs ignition switch, I don't think anyone here has done one, including me.

dingle said:
May03lt I love your videos on youtube. I've watched all of them on working on my truck. Very useful so thanks a ton.

Glad to hear that they helped! Thanks!:wootwoot:

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Thanks for the info. I would imagine mine is a "base" model. Even though the sticker on these cars new were $39 thousand dollars.

And voymom if I put all that work into any one of my cars my wife would kill me and make me buy a new one. Lol. we have a boy on the way and we have a 6 yr old daughter so the rear entertainment is a must and one of the major selling point on us buying it.

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
That's the weirdest/ hardest part of this truck to get used to. Easy when getting in it but by the time we go somewhere I forget and reach for the steering column and its not there.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
dingle said:
Thanks for the info. I would imagine mine is a "base" model. Even though the sticker on these cars new were $39 thousand dollars.

And voymom if I put all that work into any one of my cars my wife would kill me and make me buy a new one. Lol. we have a boy on the way and we have a 6 yr old daughter so the rear entertainment is a must and one of the major selling point on us buying it.

Well nobody paid sticker and the 9-7x was the most leased car during its run. It tied, roughly, with one of the overpriced, limited production BMW's. There were only a handful of options on the 9-7 which made it attractive in a time when SUV's were still popular. They were the v8's, Navigation which is a different unit than the rest of the 360's, DVD, HID's and headlight washers unless you got the V8 then they were standard, different rims standard if you got a v8, the Altitude package and running boards outside of the Altitude package. You could also get a two tone interior. Think that covers most of it. You can instantly spot an I6 version just by the rims.

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Mine has the dvd no navi. It also has big Chrome 18's and running boards. If I remember right it has the hid's but no headlights washers. But I could be wrong again on the hid's. I'm just thinking it has those from the rpo codes in the glovebox.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
dingle said:
Mine has the dvd no navi. It also has big Chrome 18's and running boards. If I remember right it has the hid's but no headlights washers. But I could be wrong again on the hid's. I'm just thinking it has those from the rpo codes in the glovebox.

18's were the standard size rim on the 9-7 but the chromes, if they are the ones I suspect, were optional. It sounds like you have the Altitude Edition. The Aero and SS had 20's.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
If it's the altitude you'll have paint code 54U and option code Y92.

We've kind of derailed your thread now and turned it into a pseudo introduction thread. Sorry about that.

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Yeah I have both of those rpo codes so I have the altitude package. And actually its kinda nice to talk to some people that have interest and knowledge of cars so i cant complain about the thread being changed. I've learned a lot today

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I'll get the thread back on topic... :crackup:

welcome fellow Ohioan :tiphat:... i am up north in Lorain County off the shores of Lake Erie...

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Boricua that's cool you're from up around the lake. I love Cleveland sports. Yes I'm a browns fan everyone can laugh now. Lol

Cdngmn good day to the great white north.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
dingle said:
Yeah I have both of those rpo codes so I have the altitude package. And actually its kinda nice to talk to some people that have interest and knowledge of cars so i cant complain about the thread being changed. I've learned a lot today

There is a lot of knowledge on this site.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Welcome :tiphat: I bet you've seen me around, I drive a lifted TB EXT, I gotta be the only one in Marion.

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I did change the oil in the transfer case this morning with little problems. My only dumb question is is that i didnt get in the whole 2 quarts because of the type of gun I bought to add in the oil. Looks and works just like a grease gun just without the handle. But it was coming out the fill hole so im going to say im fine but just new guy worrying.lol it was probably only a ounce or 2 left in the line.

The oil hadn't been changed either. It was kinda dark yet still had some blue in it. So im glad i did some research and saved me some problems down the road.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
dingle said:
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I did change the oil in the transfer case this morning with little problems. My only dumb question is is that i didnt get in the whole 2 quarts because of the type of gun I bought to add in the oil. Looks and works just like a grease gun just without the handle. But it was coming out the fill hole so im going to say im fine but just new guy worrying.lol it was probably only a ounce or 2 left in the line.

The oil hadn't been changed either. It was kinda dark yet still had some blue in it. So im glad i did some research and saved me some problems down the road.

Remember also, you bought 2, one liter bottles, and it only calls for 2 quarts. That leaves about 3 ounces. So you should be fine.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
TexazReece said:
Welcome to The Nation bro, let's see how.long that mod bug takes to bite you
:thumbsup:

:iagree: and I can help with some cheap stuff that won't piss your wife off to bad.

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Lol. She has no problem spending money that's for sure. I don't know of anything I'd like to do to it.

Short bus I did drive down mark st alittle bit ago and saw your truck. Good looking without the trim. And as small as our town is I've never seen it before. That ugly purple two tone trailblazer driving around. That's a different story I see that one everyday.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
dingle said:
Lol. She has no problem spending money that's for sure. I don't know of anything I'd like to do to it.

Short bus I did drive down mark st alittle bit ago and saw your truck. Good looking without the trim. And as small as our town is I've never seen it before. That ugly purple two tone trailblazer driving around. That's a different story I see that one everyday.

:rotfl: I started a thread about ugliest GMT's do to bad mods in the anything goes section (you need to be a Premium Supporter to access it) and used that TB :yes: The pic just doesn't do justice to how ugly that color is.

0227121826.jpg

BTW thanks for the complement :cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.