New guy from Iowa

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Hello all, I was a member of Trailvoy (like many others here) for quite some time, but used a different screen name. Anyway, I used to own a 2004 Trailblazer 4.2. I went through a couple of S10 Blazer "Beaters" until I bought an 02 Avalanche two summers ago. It was totalled this past March and have been looking for the right vehicle to replace it. I have decided I want to get back into a Traiblazer/Envoy or the like. I have found what appears to be a nice 2004 Buick Rainier with the 5.3.

http://dubuque.craigslist.org/cto/4402628412.html

What are your thoughts on this? I want one with a 5.3 for sure as I intend on towing my 01 Z28 to the track and other events on occassion. Also will pull a 18' Four Winns boat. I know a 4.2 can get it done, but I just don't like how soft they are down low in the RPM range. Anyway, I like the look of the Buicks, and they are easier to find with the 5.3 around here. Not to mention slightly cheaper than the 5.3 TB's as they are usually a little older. How is the AWD system in these rigs? I know there are some issues but that is the case with anything. Is the price about right on this particular Rainier?

For anyone wondering about the screen name, I previously mentioned I have a 2001 Z28 Camaro.

Stock bottom end 2003 LQ4, S480 turbo, custom cam, 4L80E trans, Circle D converter, 9 inch, running on E85. Last year went a best of 9.92 @ 140 with a smaller turbo and different cam. Looking to go mid 9's in the upper 140 range this year.

I look forward to spending some time here. Thanks all!

Reactions: dmanns67

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome! The only thing I don't like about the Buick is the lack of 4wd. Glad you found the new hangout, despite Trailvoy efforts of trying to cover up that this place exists.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Thank you! What are your thoughts on the pricing vs miles on the Buick? KBB shows it around $6700, but I only take that with a grain of salt. Lol.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Welcome to the Nation!

NADA puts it retail perfect at $7,2ish. Clean trade in at $5,2ish.

Get the Roadies input on the AWD system.

Nice Z, too!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome!

I would check the RPO to see what the gearing is on it. I would hope it is 3.73 but likely a 3.42. I would ask about the fluid change history especially the transfer case as it should be changed every 50K. The pricing is about right for a 5.3.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
RedRocketZ28 said:
Thank you! What are your thoughts on the pricing vs miles on the Buick? KBB shows it around $6700, but I only take that with a grain of salt. Lol.
A lot of it depends in your local market, also if it has an excellent car fax report it will book higher than usual. I have noticed that my TB books for about half of what they sell for at dealerships in the area. They can be had cheap private party. If you are just going to be hauling a trailer and you don't need 4x4, I would just get 2 wheel drive as there are less components to worry about breaking. IMO

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
A lot of it depends in your local market, also if it has an excellent car fax report it will book higher than usual. I have noticed that my TB books for about half of what they sell for at dealerships in the area. They can be had cheap private party. If you are just going to be hauling a trailer and you don't need 4x4, I would just get 2 wheel drive as there are less components to worry about breaking. IMO
It will be a DD as well. Living in Iowa, it's nice to have AWD/4WD. I talked with the guy today and I guess his mother-in-law backed into the rear passenger door. He told me he got a quote and it was $385 to fix a small dent and the trim piece. We will see what comes of it. I found another one in Kansas with less miles, but it has a few dings and some scratches here and there. Also, the air suspension doesn't hold after shutting the truck off. Easy fix, I know, but I am waiting on some more pics of it. They said they would take $5,000 for it so it may be worth a look.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome aboard.

We're enthusiast driven and love to help.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Reactions: Aarkon

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Looking good!

I guess you've already checked it out in person and drove it. Share comments...

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Robbabob said:
Looking good!

I guess you've already checked it out in person and drove it. Share comments...
I have not checked it out yet. I have talked to one of the managers there and specifically told him items I wanted checked. Hopefully when I get there, it's as clean as he says it is. It's only a 3 hour drive so if it doesn't check out, no big deal.

I have already been on the hunt for some new wheels and a radio. I want to try and find some TBSS wheels and maybe drop the Buick a couple of inches with some lowering springs. Want to put a double-din touch screen in it as well. Not sure I want to spend the money on one that has NAV built in or not though. I seem to use my phone a lot for the Navigation, which in turn uses my data, so I might as well get something with NAV up front to save me from trying to shove another modual behind the radio.

Also, will be doing some exhaust work and a tune right shortly after I get it. Want to put a new muffler on, get rid of the resonator, and add a nice tip to it. Anxious to see the looks on people's faces when they see a Grandpa car fire up or go cruising by with a nice rumble to it. I have HPTuners as well so will be tuning the transmission right away and trying to squeeze a few MPG's and power out of it.

Reactions: Robbabob
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
RedRocketZ28 said:
I have not checked it out yet. I have talked to one of the managers there and specifically told him items I wanted checked. Hopefully when I get there, it's as clean as he says it is. It's only a 3 hour drive so if it doesn't check out, no big deal.

I have already been on the hunt for some new wheels and a radio. I want to try and find some TBSS wheels and maybe drop the Buick a couple of inches with some lowering springs. Want to put a double-din touch screen in it as well. Not sure I want to spend the money on one that has NAV built in or not though. I seem to use my phone a lot for the Navigation, which in turn uses my data, so I might as well get something with NAV up front to save me from trying to shove another modual behind the radio.

Also, will be doing some exhaust work and a tune right shortly after I get it. Want to put a new muffler on, get rid of the resonator, and add a nice tip to it. Anxious to see the looks on people's faces when they see a Grandpa car fire up or go cruising by with a nice rumble to it. I have HPTuners as well so will be tuning the transmission right away and trying to squeeze a few MPG's and power out of it.
Denaliguy has a set of ss wheels n tires posted on here.. He's from kc.

Mark@PCMofNC

Jul 14, 2014
Welcome to the site, nice Camaro! My buddy has a similar setup in a Firebird, 75mm Precision turbo... its been 9.00 @152, like 1.24 60' time so I'd say theres some potential in yours. How much boost you running?

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Mark@PCMofNC said:
Welcome to the site, nice Camaro! My buddy has a similar setup in a Firebird, 75mm Precision turbo... its been 9.00 @152, like 1.24 60' time so I'd say theres some potential in yours. How much boost you running?
Thank you. Unfortunately, I sold the Camaro in August :sadcry:. The fiancé and I had another child in April, and built a new house that we moved into in August. I wish I could have kept the Camaro but it was the right thing to do in getting rid of it. I am currently on the hunt for another cheap project to start. Been thinking of doing an SN95 Mustang with an LS in it but we will see.

On the best past the Camaro made it was on 14-15 lbs. according to the log. I hit it with 18 lbs. on one pass and it blew the coupler off the throttle body. I cut a 1.47 60' on the footbrake that pass too. It was definitely rolling out. With the S480 turbo the new owner got it to go an almost identical time as I did, but it took more boost. I know the trans is on it's last leg and was hitting the limiter on the shifts no matter where they commanded them. It definitely has a lot more in it.

I miss the car like crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOOKsF2znPQ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online