New 255/65-17 tires with before and after pictures

jd8181

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I just got back from tire barn and having them install a new set of cooper discoverer at3 255/65-17 tires (they took of a set of Bridgestone dueler hl alenza). Snow iscoming tomorrow and ad you can see in the ball joint pictures my old Bridgestone tires didn't have a lot of tread on these. The only thing I was a little disappoint about was tire barn didn't really want to barter on the price with me. I got them to add life time rotate and balance and knock off the tire disposal but tried to talk them into $50 less on all 4 tires out the door and they wouldn't. He showed me the computer and told me there goal is to make $40 or $45 per a tire and on these tires they were only make a little over $30 so he couldn't adjust the price.

I've only got 10 miles on them so far so I can't review them other then for an at tire they don't have a lot of road noise. The sales man also told me with the tread rating I should have a problem getting 50-55k out of these tire. I guess time will tell. I'm looking forward to see how they handle just a little snow tomorrow (3"-5"). I will let you know once I get some miles on these tires what I think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 33

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
Cooper AT3 are great tire's you will be very happy. I have read/ heard nothing but good things about them. Several people I know run them. It what I am planning on getting when I need tires.

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
Sure looks you got the new ones just in time. The old ones didn't even have enough tread left for summer!

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
We got away from the contitracs and went with coopers. More miles on the life and wear nicely. On second set and will be a third by next Xmas. Going to put coopers on my impala too...

jd8181

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I put 80k mile cooper cs4 touring tires on my wife's van about a year ago (15-20k miles ago) and they still like about like new.
And my courier driver at work has a set of coopers on his full size 3500 van and got over 110 or 120k miles out of the last set and they still had a lot of tread on them. I know he would get them rotated every 5k miles.

jd8181

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Just a quick update. Here in indiana we ended up with over 12" of snow today on top of the 5 we already had (and is still coming down) I took my trailblazer out with these new tires on it and I don't even think they spun in the unplowed road in 4wd. Hooked up great, stopped and turned just as well. I would recommend these tires to anyone.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Nice to hear! Here in Michigan, drifting snow is kicking my butt. Can't even plow my driveway with my John Deere 4200 (26HP I3 diesel).

As to the Envoy, 4WD is working great with my rear pair Michelin LTX M/S, General Grabber and Goodyear Fortera in the front. Just got to take it slow. Wish I could put a plow on it...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Very cool, thanks for posting the pics. I have been debating the 255/65 for the LTX MS2 when my Conti's wear out...looks like they fill the well nicely, not overly large at all.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
LTX ftw :yes:

Best all around tire I've ever had. Will not buy another unless it is a dedicated snow tire, or big and knobby!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
jd8181 said:
Just a quick update. Here in indiana we ended up with over 12" of snow today on top of the 5 we already had (and is still coming down) I took my trailblazer out with these new tires on it and I don't even think they spun in the unplowed road in 4wd. Hooked up great, stopped and turned just as well. I would recommend these tires to anyone.

:iagree:

I have had Michelin and Goodyear, but neither seemed to perform as well as my Cooper Discoverer LSX Plus tires. All around great tire in snow, ice, rain, mud, and sand. I live in an area where we have a lot of hills and I have no issues going up or down the hills when they are covered with snow or ice with these tires.

I thought they might produce a lot of road noise on the highway, but I cannot tell any difference at all. Will definitely be buying these tires again next time I am due.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
jd8181 said:

Any opinion on highway noise on a dry surface?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction

Members Online

No members online now.