New 02 sliverado owner! Knock sensor error question

mo_86_05

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I got a good deal on a 02 silverado 5.3L truck today! Now, im not new to the forum. I use to have a trailblazer now im in the silverado....anyhow, the check engine light was on so my uncle used his scan tool. He told me it was the knock sensor #2 error. He told me that its best to replace both sensors, because he said the other could go bad a week later. Autozone priced the sensors at $46 a piece. My main question is on the gaskets. i was looking on ebay and gaskets were really high. Autozone told me $15 for the intake gasket. Does this sound right? Also, do i need to replace the wire harness as well? What price sounds right on it if i do need it?

Thanks in advance!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I never changed a knock sensor, but if they're easy to obtain, just change the one that's bad is my advice. They don't disable the vehicle when they fail. If I was in a hot environment and/or towing, then my answer would be different because the knock sensor gets a workout under those conditions and can save the engine.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
if they're easy to obtain, just change the one that's bad is my advice.
They are located under the intake manifold on the 5.3. Not disagreeing; but if op is paying for labour, changing both might be the money saver in the long run.

And, if uncle is providing the labour, following his advice might be a smart move for only $50.:rotfl:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
RayVoy said:
They are located under the intake manifold on the 5.3. Not disagreeing; but if op is paying for labour, changing both might be the money saver in the long run.

And, if uncle is providing the labour, following his advice might be a smart move for only $50.:rotfl:

Agreed, if you are going to change it just change both while you are in there, wouldn't hurt either if you have a bunch of miles on it as the intake gaskets could be getting flaky.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
mo_86_05 said:
If i dont change them, will it hurt my mpg?

No it won't... But it helps keep the engine in one piece if spark knock develops...

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
Ok on these engines u might want to get the knock sensor harness because the rubber plugs (that are suppose to prevent water to get to the sensor) gets hard and allows water to create rust and in the sensor/harness. Any time I've done these I've had to replace the harness and the rear sensor because of corrosion. When putting it back together use some high temp silicone around the rubber plug to help prevent water to get to the sensor

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
mo_86_05 said:
My main question is on the gaskets. i was looking on ebay and gaskets were really high. Autozone told me $15 for the intake gasket. Does this sound right? Also, do i need to replace the wire harness as well? What price sounds right on it if i do need it?
rockauto is your best bet for pricing stuff. $15 seems really cheap, a gasket set should include two gaskets, one for each side. average somewhere between 40-60 bucks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online