Neglected trans

Shmittey

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
So with 105k on the clock in the new to us 03 Envoy, it looks like the trans fluid has never been serviced and looks pretty bad. Now I dont know the history of it but my thinking would be to leave it alone as the damage is already done... my fear is that even doing a pan drain and fill will loosen up enough clutch glaze that will raise holy hell in the valve body... Anyone have experience with this situation?

Hypothetically, if the trans does crap out, how is the rebuild market for these? Poking around I see stage 4 builds fairly cheap (cheap compared to my Allison trans in full size, Torque converter costs more than a rebuilt for this lol)... who is a reputable builder you all recommend?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
This has been discussed recently and the consensus was to do the drain and fill. ATF has changed drastically over the years and the wisdom of old is no longer true (and in many cases it never was).

Shmittey

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Just found that thread thanks, did not look hard enough before posting...

After lots of searching and reading I am going to change it out, if there is an issue then I know it was there before. I am going to give Auto RX a whirl in hopes to not have chunks of carbon clog up the valve body then I will pull a cooler line (rust permitting) and do a drive way flush, drop pan and change filter screen. We will see how it ends up...

Any input on good trans builders?

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I see you have a 4x4 and you feel it has been neglected . Will you are changing out the tranny fluid also do the front and rear differentials and then the transfer case. The transfer case uses only a GM product. It should have been done about 50k miles I think and they can be trouble some if they are neglected. Good luck

Shmittey

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
All fluid issues will be corrected, trans was the only one I am sketchy on... I use Amsoil in my Silverado so Im going to do the same with this... Merchant Automotive has an "alternative" to the Smurf blood, AutotrakII I think I am going to give that a whirl. I already did the power steering and engine oil, everything else will be soon.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If I were going to swap my trans for a rebuilt one, I would look at Powerbuilt Automatics out in CA. Dana, the owner is prob the most knowledgeably person for the 4L60E, and probably the most recommended. You can always rebuild it yourself and save about half but the way Im going to do mine is order a kit from him and a new Edge torque converter and attempt to rebuild it myself.

4L60E Rebuild Kit Heavy Duty 1997 & Up (Except LS Series) :: 4L60E ---- 700R4L60E.com :: GM Rebuild Kits :: Pro-Built Automatics

Shmittey

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for the link, looks like a good kit, price is right for sure.

I have a Precision Vigilante triple disk converter in my Duramax... nothing but good things to say.

Shmittey

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
PATC came up in my searching too. 2k with converter no core... sounds pretty good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online