Need Tires

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have heard some good things about the General's. Search tires here I think and there is alot of info.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
My dad is running the generals on his traverse. They have about 3,000 to 5,000 miles left on them. With 50,000 on them already. I am not a fan of them and either is my dad.... I'd go with the Goodyear fortera's or the Pirelli's... IMO

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
It is not on your list but I have was thinking of coopers for myself until I got a like new set of Desert Duelers for 200 . That made my decision very easy. They seem good but too new to make a real call on them other than I like them now.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I have the General Grabber HTS tires on my truck and they are doing good so far here in the MI winter. I can't complain about their wet grip, either. Anything will slide on ice, so I just drive slower and brake slower when coming up to a stop if it's icy out. A4WD and 4HI, and I'm doing good from a stop into a turn off of a light or stop sign with snow on the ground. I have only had the truck for a few thousand miles, but the tires were put on just before the truck was traded in so I'm gonna drive 'em for a while.

cchuffman

Aug 7, 2012
A second cousin to the Generals you have listed are the Grabber STX, but you can only get them at Wal-Mart. I have about 5k miles on mine, and they have done great ... good wet traction, great in the snow, and quiet on the road. They ran me about $625 for the set mounted and balanced.

I am now prepared for any verbal lashing one may give for buying private label tires at Wal-Mart.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Yacdogg said:
Also, what sizes will fit on stock 17's ? besides 245/65-17

I run 265/65-17. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with either a 245/70-17 or a 255/65-17 instead as the 265 series width is closer to the ball joint than I would prefer.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I have the General HTS tires on my Trailblazer. I don't think they're the best tire, but the price is good. I found that they were cheaper at Discount Tire than they were on Tire Rack. About $25 if I remember right.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yacdogg said:
I need some tires

What's your budget? You mentioned aftermarket wheels so with that being said, I would go for the Michelin Latitude Tour, or the Continental Cross Contact LX-20.

Other than that, I would seriously add the Firestone Destination LE2 to your choices, probably trumps all the tires on your list. The LE2 is much improved over the previous Destination.

Firestone Destination LE2

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
DO NOT BUY THE YOKAHAMA'S they suck all the way around... IMO.. i wen with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac... they are an agressive tire but quite going down the road. and give you some pretty good side bite if the situation requires it.

Edit:.. i am not sure if these will fit our stock platfourm.. i have a lift on mine.. check your local dealer .

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for eveyone opinion, I think I am going to go up to 255/65-17 and get the General Grabber AT2

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Actually I might go 255/70-17 , would they fit with no modifications (spacers or anything else) ? I am going with Grabber AT2's

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yacdogg said:
Thank you, but says 255/70-17 are not know if needs wheel spacers or not, how much are wheel spacers, and how do you install ?

That's cuz it can depend on the brand/model of tire since the tread patterns are different. Now that you have that list, you can see what some of your other options are. As for spacers, here's MarkMC's site. I'm sure once you looked at it, it will become quite clear how to install it. :wink:

Lift Shop :: THE LIFT MEISTER

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yacdogg said:
Think I'm going to go with 255/65-17, possibly 245/70-17 to fill out wheel well little better, here is a post on trailvoy that someone put 265/65-17 Grabber AT2's on a TB and didn't quite fit because the aggressive tread General Grabber AT2's in 265 65 R17! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum post #9 for pic

Depends on the treads. Shortbus has the 265/65s, so does Pittdawg, and I just put a pair on mine (after seeing both of theirs) If you wanna go with an aggressive tread, or bigger tires, get some spacers, then you won't have to worry about the UBJ. :twocents:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Yacdogg said:
Think I'm going to go with 255/65-17, possibly 245/70-17 to fill out wheel well little better, here is a post on trailvoy that someone put 265/65-17 Grabber AT2's on a TB and didn't quite fit because the aggressive tread General Grabber AT2's in 265 65 R17! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum post #9 for pic

A grinder would take care of that.

Blckshdw said:
Depends on the treads. Shortbus has the 265/65s, so does Pittdawg, and I just put a pair on mine (after seeing both of theirs) If you wanna go with an aggressive tread, or bigger tires, get some spacers, then you won't have to worry about the UBJ. :twocents:

I had them before the lift and spacers, now I have 265/70s

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online