Need help with headlights

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
headlights are on which we don't use them during the day so that leaves me clueless on what is going on why were they working for over a week they worked and now all the sudden they're not! I do not know what else to check like I said I've checked every few fuse possible and they're all good even the flash your relay under the dash I can hear flashing! Please any info would be appreciated!

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Can a administrator move this to the trailblazer appearance section please some how I posted in this section! My bad!!!

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Correct me if I'm not reading this correctly, but your headlights are designed to be on at all times, at least on the 02. They come on during the day when you shift out of P, and they should be on at all times after dark.

What exactly isn't happening?

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
okay sorry that all that was confusing I did the DRL killer so the headlights don't come on when I start the truck. okay I'll try and explain a little better so it doesn't confuse of anybody I purchased a set of 3157 LED bulbs for the parking lights and also LED light strips to put on top of the headlights when I hooked that it all up they all worked perfectly that was until I got off work the other day and noticed my turn signals were not working and LED strips were not working either but my side marker lights were which I wire the LED strips to the side marker lights and they're not flashing and neither are the the 3157 LED bulbs now they will work if I turn my parking lights on they will flash like you're supposed to when you turn the turn signal on no most of us don't run with her headlights on during the day if you've done killed the Drls so it will should function normally like a normal car that doesn't have the drl when you put the turn signal on your bulbs supposed to flash mine arent unless you turn on the parking lights or headlights then the LED strips an LED bulbs will start flashing like they're suppose to... so if I turn off the parking/headlights they don't work.....

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
[video]http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid688.photobucket.com/albums/vv247/Darkman98/20130322_201929.mp4[/video]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The video helps quite a bit. You probably have SRCK sockets for your front turn signals, since your model year is 2002. We've seen this happen to other members with 02's before. See this link for some pics and an explanation of the differences.

3157 Led Tail Light & Turn Signal Selection and Trouble Shooting Guide

When the parking lights are on, the front LED bulb and LED strips are using the turn signal line as the ground, instead of the actual ground. So when you activate your turn signals, the flow of current for the turn signal disrupts the current from the parking lights, causing them to turn off. This is the logic behind the corner (194) bulbs that only use 2 wires, and also why the corner bulbs appear to flash out of phase with the front turn signals at night (when the parking lights are on).

As a quick test, put your stock bulbs back in the front turn signals, and I bet everything will work as expected again. If that's the case, you just need to get a set of SRCK LED bulbs, and you'll be good to go. :thumbsup:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Do what Carlton said, or you could change out the park light sockets for non SRCK ones. I'm heading in that direction because my indicators don't work unless the lights are on and I have the SRCK sockets with LED's.

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Ok now when I first hooked the LED bulbs it blew a fuse ok so I flipped the bulbs around and good to go.... now the the LED strips and the were working fine for over a week and suddenly stops working so this would b caused by the by having SRCK sockets and having non SRCK bulbs I'm I understanding this correctly? So as far as the LED strips go I run a actual ground to to the strips and run the power wire to the parking light wire and then run a jumper wire with a diode from the signal wire to the parking light wire would that work or would that over load the strips?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How do you want your LED strips to function, under each condition? Let's start there first. Once we understand your mission, we can help you with the direction to go. :yes:

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Yes if possible cuz when I first hooked them up they worked both ways and like to get back to that! Oh and THANK YOU for your help!!!!!

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Anyone else have some insight on this? Sorry kinda lost on the how it all was working then just suddenly stops working....

DarkBlazer02

Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
No one else has any info? Is it possible that the flasher relay may have weakened causing this to happen?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Blckshdw said:
How do you want your LED strips to function, under each condition? Let's start there first. Once we understand your mission, we can help you with the direction to go. :yes:

I think anyone who can help you, is waiting for you to answer this question. Once we know what you are trying to do, then we can help to make sure you wire them up properly. :twocents:

Have you done anything with the stock bulbs, or changed the sockets, as previously suggested?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:book: Based on what I read post #5 and saw in your video, I am running off a couple of assumptions with your LED strips. Let me list them out, and you correct me if I misunderstood you, then we can go from there.

1. You hooked the positive wire up to the parking light signal for the 194 side marker bulb.
  2. You hooked the negative up to the turn signal for the 194 side marker bulb.

If this is correct, then from an electrical standpoint, from the way you have the LED strips hooked up, they are working exactly how they are supposed to since they are polarized. Current can only flow from positive to negative, unlike the stock filament bulbs that can have current flow in either direction and light up. If you put a 194 LED bulb in the side marker socket, it will behave the exact same way. (unless you flip it around, then it will only work with the turn signal when the parking lights are off)

If you hooked them up differently, then we need to know what you did. You said in a couple of posts that they were working the way you wanted them to initially for a week, but you never said what exactly that meant. This is what I am asking you to specify. The way you hook up the wires is gonna have to be changed to get a different result, but the specific functions you want, will dictate what needs to be done. Hope that makes more sense. :twocents:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
That link has A LOT of good info :thumbsup:
I was reading it a few days ago.
I think it would be easier, for the op as well as all who are trying to help, if it were broken down into exactly what happened when 1 thing at a time was done.
DarkBlazer-if you swapped the stock bulbs for led, what did/didn't work...how it performed/how is did previously...and very importantly, as BlkShdw said, a detailed description of how you want the lights to perform when you're done.
There are SO many ways these things can work with a simple tweak here and there, that it's difficult to really give advise without knowing what you want as an end product.
Just what came to mind when I read through the thread.
Biggest thing, is to just stay patient with it, rushing it and having a facepalm moment is never a goodthing :duh:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
If in fact anyone needs 3157 SRCK front turn signal, I do have them in a Cree switchback-white/amber.
Kev
3157 SRCK white/amber switchback $22/pair

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
^^^get the ones kev sells. they will work. when you put the wrong ones in, they short out. if you open up the LEDs you used, you will see the wire leads are burnt. i found out the hard way too

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
DFWWIZ said:
If in fact anyone needs 3157 SRCK front turn signal, I do have them in a Cree switchback-white/amber.
Kev
3157 SRCK white/amber switchback $22/pair

Here's a weird thing Kev. The white/white SRCK switchbacks I got from you work great when the lights are on. When the lights are off, the indicators don't work. The corner markers and the side mirror one's do, just not the switchbacks. :confused:

I think I'm going to do what I suggested in this thread earlier and changed the sockets for non-SRCK's and get some "normal" switchbacks from you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online