Need Help with AWD Disconnect

leftydjs

Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Hello! I need help on what do do next.
I have my AWD Disconnect out and it looks like its dried up and needs new seals?
Can anyone confirm this and/or point me in the next correct direction?
See pics.
Thanks!!
View attachment 27947
View attachment 27948

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 10
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 10

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Holy Moley!! Your outer bearing has departed the vehicle!

On our offroad sister site, we have a good teardown and reassembly article on the 4WD version of this. Yours has a couple of different parts in it because you have a non-sliding sleeve, no fork, and no electric actuator. But the bearings and seals are the same. Buy the individual parts from a dealer, or from an on-line vendor like parts4chevys.com.

Read more here:
Offroadtb.com Front Axle 4WD Disconnect

The differences are here:
13440d1365104937-help-all-wheel-drive-disconnect-reassembly-1.jpg

HiOSilver

Jan 2, 2013
the roadie said:
Welcome! Holy Moley!! Your outer bearing has departed the vehicle!

On our offroad sister site, we have a good teardown and reassembly article on the 4WD version of this. Yours has a couple of different parts in it because you have a non-sliding sleeve, no fork, and no electric actuator. But the bearings and seals are the same. Buy the individual parts from a dealer, or from an on-line vendor like parts4chevys.com.

Read more here:
Offroadtb.com Front Axle 4WD Disconnect

The differences are here:
13440d1365104937-help-all-wheel-drive-disconnect-reassembly-1.jpg

Can someone help me understand what I have? I have a 2004 Envoy XUV with 4WD. I was under the impression that the front differential turns all the time - meaning there are no wheel locks or disconnects. Is that true?

Thanks!

Chris

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Chris,

it is all in the transfer case, which is one reason you have to change the fluid there at 50,000 miles.

FYI not recommended to drive in A4wd, stay in 2hi or go to 4hi.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
HiOSilver said:
Can someone help me understand what I have? I have a 2004 Envoy XUV with 4WD. I was under the impression that the front differential turns all the time - meaning there are no wheel locks or disconnects.
You and I and trailblazers have selectable 4WD systems. The OP has an AWD with a slightly different system.

On ours:

1) The passenger side CV shaft has a disconnect on the right side of the oil pan to disconnect the CV shaft from the intermediate shaft that goes through the oil pan to the differential. This slightly helps you get better mileage because the differential won't totally spool up and back-drive the front driveshaft that adds a bit of friction to the system.

2) The driver's side CV shaft is always connected to the front differential, so parts of the diff spin at all times (the end gears and spider gears) That's why it's important to keep up regular diff servicing even if you never use 4WD.

3) The front driveshaft from the transfer case to the front diff will not spin in 2WD mode because the transfer case clutches are not engaged.

4) But many other parts of the transfer case *do* spin in 2WD mode, which is why it's important to keep up with regular transfer case fluid change intervals, which is a surprisingly short 50K mile interval.

5) I've posted many times before about why A4WD mode is damaging to the transfer case clutches and it only helps poor drivers in marginal traction conditions. In certain less rare conditions, the shock of A4WD engagement can break you loose and CAUSE accidents.

leftydjs

Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
A Little update...
To the roadie, I ordered the parts that needed to be replaced and they have arrived.
Will be doing the rebuild possibly this evening, but most likely tomorrow.
Thanks again for the teardown pic and link to get the parts!:thumbsup:

HiOSilver

Jan 2, 2013
meerschm said:
Chris,

it is all in the transfer case, which is one reason you have to change the fluid there at 50,000 miles.

FYI not recommended to drive in A4wd, stay in 2hi or go to 4hi.

Thanks!

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
the roadie said:
You and I and trailblazers have selectable 4WD systems. The OP has an AWD with a slightly different system.

On ours:

5) I've posted many times before about why A4WD mode is damaging to the transfer case clutches and it only helps poor drivers in marginal traction conditions. In certain less rare conditions, the shock of A4WD engagement can break you loose and CAUSE accidents.

My wife has proven that fact back in March....

View attachment 28085

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianmac.2ss

Members Online