need help to choose shift firmness

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I ordered a tune at pcmforless but i ordered shift level 1,now i don't know if this the right choise,can you guys help me out?

Thanks!!!
John

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's like asking for advice choosing the "right" wife. What do you need/want the vehicle to do for you? Track racing? Driving your elegant date to the opera? Offroading? What's your driving style? Aggressive? Mousy? Enthusiastic? What are the other parameters you're looking to improve with a tune? Fuel economy? Towing? Acceleration from a stop?

To many unknowns with that sort of question. Sorry. Help us help you.

Edit: But as my buddy here said - in case you're just looking for a vote - I went with 2. But I never use this truck for going to the opera. I have a clean Subaru for that.

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
sorry,but i have a suburban for that......,but i mean is level 2 to firm for normal firm driving and is it ok for the transmission?

Thanks! John

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
2 has not broke my truck yet. I like it.

gsf1200m

Dec 15, 2011
I do normal everyday driving and I went with two and love it. I almost wish I went with level three. I was about to go with level one based on comments I have read, and I am very glad that I did not.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
I went with level 1 and am liking it A LOT. It all depends on your preferences. I didnt want too firm of a shift but didnt want it to be like the factory shift points either.

Some people like shift #2 some dont. I wish there was a shift firmness 1.5 setting :biggrin:

Guenther

Dec 7, 2011
I went with level 1 and if the change from 0 to 1 would hold the same for 1 to 2 then I'm glad I stuck with 1. First to second gear is where you feel the "jolt" the most. It's not bad but definitely a noticeable difference from stock and I wouldn't want any more firmness than 1. Personal preference though for sure.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
I went with level 1 and am liking it A LOT. It all depends on your preferences. I didnt want too firm of a shift but didnt want it to be like the factory shift points either.

Some people like shift #2 some dont. I wish there was a shift firmness 1.5 setting :biggrin:

Have you tried the shift 2 firmness before asking for a 1.5? I have the 2 and like it as previously stated. If I send mine back in, I will try a 3 because I really dont think 2 is superfirm. It is less than the firmness change of the old school shift kits I used to install.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Guenther said:
I went with level 1 and if the change from 0 to 1 would hold the same for 1 to 2 then I'm glad I stuck with 1. First to second gear is where you feel the "jolt" the most. It's not bad but definitely a noticeable difference from stock and I wouldn't want any more firmness than 1. Personal preference though for sure.

This.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Have you tried the shift 2 firmness before asking for a 1.5? I have the 2 and like it as previously stated. If I send mine back in, I will try a 3 because I really dont think 2 is superfirm. It is less than the firmness change of the old school shift kits I used to install.

Nah, I just ordered shift firmness #1 and I really like it so far. It definitely is much, much firmer than the original shifts but not too firm. And I love the way it downshifts with less pressure on the gas now. :thumbsup:

Except when the truck is cold, like if Im pulling away from my driveway right after getting in the morning, it really jolts into the gears. Once it warms up, it calms down but I can see how people who get #2 or #3 shift firmness state they are able to get the wheels to chirp in between gears :yes: Shift firmness 1 is a slight jolt into the next gear most noticeable between the 1-2 shift.

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
I have the 2 firmness and I think I will send it back and try the 1. Maybe some one at Carlisle will have a 1 that I can get a little seat time in back to the hotel.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
I have level 2. Barely noticeable other than 1-2 which is solid but not a neck-snapper.

I've got a hard time believing that anyone with level 1 could notice a difference over stock.

Don't over-think it... Just go 2.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Don't mean to hijack but for towing what do you think would suit it best? I was thinking 2 I like a stiff shift. Lol

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
I went with level 3 and it's firm but not neck snapping.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you want firm. Go 3

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
If you have felt the stock tune's first shift on a cold tranny you'll know what level 2 is. You know when the first 3 shifts happen, 3-4 sometimes slips by me. Unless I'm super light on the foot the engine will typically wind up to about 2700 before 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. Engine is otherwise stock with a K&N air filter, tune was for 87 octane.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I'm not going to get a tune until I get the tranny freshened up but was curious about the level 1. Some of you have stated the downshift happens earlier, or easier.. but is this seperately programmable?

I wouldn't mind a firmer shift but don't think I want it to downshift easier, especially when towing.

Guenther

Dec 7, 2011
groundshock said:
I've got a hard time believing that anyone with level 1 could notice a difference over stock

Believe it. You've got 2 people in this thread alone telling you.

Guenther

Dec 7, 2011
gmcman said:
I'm not going to get a tune until I get the tranny freshened up but was curious about the level 1. Some of you have stated the downshift happens earlier, or easier.. but is this seperately programmable?

I wouldn't mind a firmer shift but don't think I want it to downshift easier, especially when towing.

I went with 1 shift firmness and no towing. The most I will pull will be a couple snowmobiles and when I did that earlier this winter my Voy pulled them beautifully.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Can somebody post a video of regular city driving with shift firmness 2?

Also what shift firmness is this?

[video=youtube;lChOsrqI0Bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lChOsrqI0Bc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
03envoy said:
Can somebody post a video of regular city driving with shift firmness 2?

Also what shift firmness is this?

[video=youtube;lChOsrqI0Bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lChOsrqI0Bc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Looks like mine and it's stock. However I see there is little or no lag after the shift....in which mine has alot of, (torque management)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online