Nav Radio Issue From PAC GM2 Module

denaliguy

Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Hi, I've got a problem that I couldn't find in any other forum. The previous owner of my 2007 GMC Envoy Denali installed a PAC GM2 module so they could hook-up an iPod through the navigation/radio unit. It's accessed through the XM/Satellite input where the dial gets turned to "aux" instead of leaving it on "sat." Anyway, I kept it hooked up because I have an iPod and listen to it from time to time. I also have a Sirius/XM subscription so I go back and forth between the two.

Here's where my problem exists. Lately, the nav unit will intermittently turn off and and I can't get it to turn back on unless I re-start the vehicle. In addition, while listening to satellite radio the text is scrambled and gibberish. For example, if Don't Stop Believin' by Journey comes on, the "Title" text reads "DoSt Bevin" or something close to that. I've messed with all the Nav settings and changed "XM info scroll" to off, but nothing has worked.

I got to thinking and thought maybe the PAC GM2 unit is messing with the OEM radio. So today I unhooked the PAC GM2 module and now the Nav/radio won't come back on at all, even after re-starting. I pulled the radio fuse for 30 seconds and that didn't reset the radio. I would prefer not to have to unhook the battery since that seems to always lead to other issues (I've blown vent door actuator modules and steering wheel lights because of the infamous battery unhook issue).

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks, Denaliguy.

denaliguy

Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
I took apart the dash and removed the nav unit last night. Turns out either the previous owner was an idiot or the person they had install the PAC GM2 module was an idiot. There were bare wires exposed on the OEM harness (the PAC GM2 harness was fine). I'm guessing my intermittent radio shut-off was due to it shorting out. Now the wires are properly covered and no shut-off so far.

I also removed the PAC GM2 unit and what to do know, no more gibberish text when I listen to xm/satellite. I listen to satellite more than my iPod anyway, so if anyone is interested in a PAC GM2 unit for cheap let me know. If you do listen to satellite radio I would caution putting one in though. If not, she's all yours for a good deal!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online