My horn stopped hornin'

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I found myself in a situation today when a moron mom in a minivan (Honda type) decided my left turn lane was for chumps and decided to turn without warning from her non-turn lane, nearly side swiping me in the process. Naturally, my first instinct was to lean on the horn to communicate my feelings thusly: BRRRRAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Imagine my horror when my honorable horn failed to honk at the whore in the Honda! Nary a sputter, squeak, siren or squeal was produced when I held my horn to honk at the whore in the Honda.

I arrived at my destination and tested the horn again without success; dead silence came out when I placed my hand on the steering wheel and depressed. Strangely enough though, I soon found out - when I use my keyless entry the horn chirps nice and loud! In the vicinity of the wheel and dash there are no other failed designs, DIC buttons work, lights, and so on - all fine!

So what, my brothers and sisters of the nation, you technical masters - would be the cause of a seemingly isolated horn button disaster?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Your not pressing on it hard enough....slam on that sob of a horn. Lol.

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jrSS said:
Your not pressing on it hard enough....slam on that sob of a horn. Lol.

LOL, did not work even at somewhere between regular horn pressure and set off the air bag hard.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
left my crystal ball at the office unfortunately but heres a schematic for you to troubleshoot the circuit. obviously the first place to look would be the fuse, then the horn itself, then the relay

120426747_zpsee323cfb.gif

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I just read on a post while looking for my horn problems that grease gets on horn contacts behind airbag.

To get airbag off you need some sort of small pointy ended too sticks in a hold behind airbag on side of wheel and it pops off then u can access contacts

Google horn not working site:gmtnation.com. and you should see post with pictures

http://gmtnation.com/f23/horn-not-working-2568/

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The hell? I searched before posting my question, not sure how I missed that thread! Thanks for the assist and thanks to jimmyjam for the diagram.

Will be attacking this in daylight, will report back with results.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Lima Tango said:
The hell? I searched before posting my question, not sure how I missed that thread! Thanks for the assist and thanks to jimmyjam for the diagram.

Will be attacking this in daylight, will report back with results.

No biggy I found the forums search function doesn't search like google.

So if you Google what you want to know and put site:gmtnation.com. it will show only results from this forum

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
jeffro312 said:
So if you Google what you want to know and put site:gmtnation.com. it will show only results from this forum
I've been advising that trick for years. And if you click the "images" button you'll get pictures only from here. I lose track of my OWN pictures sometimes and use that to find the name quickly.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
the roadie said:
I've been advising that trick for years. And if you click the "images" button you'll get pictures only from here. I lose track of my OWN pictures sometimes and use that to find the name quickly.

Yes roadie where do you think I learned that trick from :wink:

Figured your busy being the best I'd help you out and spread your knowledge for you. Same your busy fingers some typing exercise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.