Mounting radio bodies, control head, microphones and GPSs

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Any suggestions on where to mount radio bodies, control head and microphones? Vehicle is a 2003 LT EXT 4X4. Is there room underneath the centre shifter console for some radio bodies? Or maybe behind the dash somewhere on the psgr side? Yes, I will disconnect the battery before doing any dis assembly work to ensure we don't blow an air bag.

Microphones I think I can figure out into some places.

Not sure where safe places are for the control heads to ensure they don't get hit by the air bag. I was thinking about right on top of the dash in the centre so the light of the display panel doesn't bother me at night.

Note that the amateur radio will have control heads so they can be mounted as appropriate. The CB is a Cobra 75 WX ST so the control head is built into the microphone.

Will sticky sided velcro stick to the dash for the GPS? The GPS came with a shiny circle doodad but it's been my experience that the suction cup just falls off after an hour or two. So I'm thinking of just dong the velcro thing for the GPSs. (One GPS will be for APRS data.)

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I have an Alinco DR-635 mounted in my Envoy. The radio body is in the rear seat hinge (2nd row for you) and I tapped power from the feed to the fuse box there. 125A line straight to the battery. I did cheat and just used the body for ground return.

Control head is on a flexible stalk that attaches to the passenger seat floor bolt. I keep the head leaned toward the center console so its out of the way of the passenger airbag.

I'll look for the threads where I've posted pictures and put links here.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Mark20 said:
The radio body is in the rear seat hinge (2nd row for you) and I tapped power from the feed to the fuse box there. 125A line straight to the battery.
I'd appreciate the photos because when I raised the 2nd row seats there wasn't any room there that I could see. I was hoping for oodles of flat floor space like my mini van but that wasn't the case. :smile: What gauge of wire did you run as I'm not sure what 125 Amp means?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
The in cab fuse box is fed straight from the battery through a 125 Amp fuse using at least 0 gauge wire. This is straight from the factory, no special mods. Just unscrew where it goes into the fuse box and your can slip a ring terminal on the post.

Looking for the pix now.

Power tap at rear fuse box:
http://gmtnation.com/f35/power-rear-fuse-box-2367/#post52189

Radio head and Scan Gauge mount:
http://gmtnation.com/f23/how-did-you-mount-your-scangaugeii-2549/#post53268

I have to take a picture of the radio body in the seat hinge. Suffice it to say the hinge is U shaped so it makes a nice cubby to place the radio.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Mark20 said:
The in cab fuse box is fed straight from the battery through a 125 Amp fuse using at least 0 gauge wire. This is straight from the factory, no special mods. Just unscrew where it goes into the fuse box and your can slip a ring terminal on the post.

Power tap at rear fuse box:
So is the rear fuse box the same as the in cab fuse box? I assume the in cab fuse box is somewhere under the drivers plastic shielding. I haven't yet gotten around to looking for it.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the power feed to the rear fuse box is more like 6ga wire.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I ran anderson power poles from the rear fuse block line. I have a radio under the passenger seat and two others under the second row seating. My LMR is riding next to the hump so I can just reach back if I have to change the channels. My other two radios are a Icom IC 2820H and a TMD 700. Most radios if you need to extend the mic cable you can just add a CAT5 cable to it.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
My daughter borrowed the Voy so no pix until she gets home. :frown:

By "in cab" I mean rear fuse box. I assume its in the same location on an EXT (seat just behind drivers seat) but I could be wrong.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
djthumper said:
I ran anderson power poles from the rear fuse block line. I have a radio under the passenger seat and two others under the second row seating.
When I folded the second row seats forward there wasn't any room visible under the seats. The floor was all countoured. So now I'm a bit puzzled. Now there may very well be room under the front passenger seat so I'll go take a second look there. I didn't look too closely as it seem it was full of electrical stuff moving the seat around. As I only have the one D710 I'd like to easily move it back and forth between the house and the vehicle although I only would want to do that a few or five times a year for longer trips. I just use a hand held for shorter trips to the nearby city.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you don't have OnStar take a look on the passenger side near the door area of the 2nd row of seats. I am not sure if it is the same as the SWB though. Mine is a fairly flat deck and you can mount the 710 so it is fairly easy to get in and out.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
djthumper said:
If you don't have OnStar take a look on the passenger side near the door area of the 2nd row of seats. I am not sure if it is the same as the SWB though. Mine is a fairly flat deck and you can mount the 710 so it is fairly easy to get in and out.
The vehicle does have OnStar but I'll never use it. Hmm, other than maybe a GPS serial signal source :smile: Trouble is the headrest on that side is locked in the fully extended position and I can't fold over the seat all the way. I'll get a friend to take a quick look at that in the next few days.

Thanks for the suggestion.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Mark20 said:
Radio head and Scan Gauge mount:
I'm starting to like the idea of the flexible post. Where did you pick it up? Or is it reasonably generic? What search terms? Flexible mount seems to work at Ebay.

This thread got moved out of the Trailblazer Interior forum on me. I thought it was deleted at first until I went looking for My Posts.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I got it at the Dayton Hamvention. I'll check if the guy is there again. He has been the past several years and sells all sorts of radio, phone and other vehicle mounts. I did have to open the fork a little to slide over the GM seat bolt.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
djthumper said:
I've got the EXT with the third row of seats. There is a cavity there but it's more for feet for kids to clamber into the third row. Not that I'll ever use the third row. In fact maybe I'll just pull out that row of seats completely. And attach the radios to the back of the second row of seats. :smile:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I know a guy that took the back seats out of an expedition and filled it with radios and other stuff. I think it was a 3/4" piece of plywood covering it up. I think he added a battery down there as well.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
djthumper said:
I know a guy that took the back seats out of an expedition and filled it with radios and other stuff. I think it was a 3/4" piece of plywood covering it up. I think he added a battery down there as well.
Well, I don't need quite that much room. The two voice radios would be each half the size of a medium sized phone book. The data radio is the size of a small pocketbook. OTOH there is something to be said to removing the third row of seats and having a friend build me a plywood box, painted to match the interior with easy access. Especially for Customs if they decide to get somewhat personal and search the vehicle. Hmm, maybe design it so it somehow fastens to the removed seats anchor systems.

If the box was mounted vertically the height of the second row seat the box would only need the back, top and sides. The front of the box would be concealed by the back of the second row seat. A one inch gap would mean lots of room for air circulation. If I needed to do anything I could just fold down the 2nd row psngr seat and I could easily get to the front of the box. Yeah, I'd really want to tell Customs that before they search the vehicle before they start taking a crow bar to it from the back. :smile:

And as you state that opens up more room for another battery. Although I don't see needing one as this is for chatting while driving. Not much stationary stuff although that's certainly possible.

Yeah, this is an interesting idea. Gotta think about that a bit. Thanks.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Mark20 said:
I got it at the Dayton Hamvention. I'll check if the guy is there again. He has been the past several years and sells all sorts of radio, phone and other vehicle mounts.
When I poke about I keep coming across the RAM seat bolt mount system like this one RAM POD I WITH 1.5" SINGLE SOCKET W/ 202 18" long which is about right I'd guess.

(Now I'd buy it on eBay because various vendors on eBay ship via USPS which is a lot easier for us Canadians to deal with. Other shipping companies, such as UPS charge $30 minimum brokerage fees. Canada Post is $5 if they even charge anything at all.)

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
TonyT said:
When I poke about I keep coming across the RAM seat bolt mount system like this one RAM POD I WITH 1.5" SINGLE SOCKET W/ 202 18" long which is about right I'd guess. (Now I'd buy it on eBay because various vendors on eBay ship via USPS which is a lot easier for us Canadians to deal with. Other shipping companies, such as UPS charge $30 minimum brokerage fees. Canada Post is $5 if they even charge anything at all.)
There is that or take a look at panavise PanaVise Products, Inc. I am actually trying to mount my radio heads up on or near the headliner to get them out of the sun.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
The guy's sign at the ham radio convention just said "No Holes Mounting Solutions."

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
And finally a picture of where the Alinco DR-635 main body sits.

View attachment 21059

It just sits in the U shape of the seat bracket. Only problem I've had is the plug for the external speaker fell out.

Please forgive the other junk in the picture.

Attachments

• 2012-05-22 12.55.51.jpg
    2012-05-22 12.55.51.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 9

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have one of mine sitting like that. I have it more face forward I think. I haven't had a problem with the external speaker coming unplugged.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Mark20 said:
And finally a picture of where the Alinco DR-635 main body sits.

It just sits in the U shape of the seat bracket. Only problem I've had is the plug for the external speaker fell out.

Please forgive the other junk in the picture.
Thanks for the link and the photo. My vehicle is, of course, spotless. BWAHAHAHAHA Hey, why are the neighbours laughing at me?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Which part of BWAHAHAHAHA didn't you understand? :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online