Mounting an LED bar

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hey guys. I spent most of my morning researching how to mount an LED bar on the tracks for the cross bars on my roof. Looked on ORTB and there's some ideas over there but I'm a simple guy. I'm thinking of just using a washer below the track with maybe a wing nut (on each side) to secure a 42" bar. :undecided:

I'm not doing any off-roading where this bar has the potential to get ripped off. My rig is my DD. :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I guess you could mount it to one of the preexisting cross bars if it came down to it.

-Have you seen the recent threads about the roof-mounts?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Check out the thread below. These are custom brackets that mount to the roof. They are made for a 50" light bar though. Looks clean and no need to use the roof rack.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/13285-light-bar-mounts/#entry429031

Here is also a link to the search for every thread with "LED light bar" in the thread title. Lots of threads with info and ideas. I seen a couple that actually use the track the roof rack cross bars mount to as a mounting point.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=and&sid=c3f4eb012d03ff8bdcff2bab29df0d06&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_content=titles&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][noPreview]=1&search_app_filters[forums][pCount]=&search_app_filters[forums][pViews]=&search_app_filters[forums][sortDir]=0&search_term=LED+light+bar&search_app=forums

Reactions: Mounce

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
A washers isn't going to lock into the track and may be too sloppy and slip through. Simple is one thing. Laziness from doing it properly is another.

Reactions: dmanns67

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I've been a huge follower of ChrisFix for the longest time. Like Garth said, his was made for his Mazda B300 truck. As for what DJ and Dmanns said, I don't want to drill into the body. And I was thinking washers that way it's temporary. Still haven't found a solution though.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Might try searching custom roof baskets, I know the guys with those use custom mounts that go into the tracks on the existing roof rack.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I found some bar stock that fit well into the track so that I could mount my rack lower. I drilled and tapped it to center.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
djthumper said:
A washers isn't going to lock into the track and may be too sloppy and slip through. Simple is one thing. Laziness from doing it properly is another.
I have used washers for years with no issue. No slipping and no movement with everything thrown at it. Basket, lightbar, tire...3/8 washer and bolt will clamp down plenty.

Figure basket, hi-lift, tire, shovel, fuel, and misc has prolly been 200 lbs up there at times and the washers have been perfect. I do use a small piece of rubber between the tracking and the thule bars but the washer is slid directly in the track.

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
3/8 washer and bolt will clamp down plenty.
I think I'll be using this method with the superstrut bar and cone nuts.

Jlb304

Nov 30, 2016
Charleston,WV
Hey guys I'm a new and I know this post is old but I have a 52 inch on my TB that I'm about to lift and i used Silverado light bar mounts the door jams are the same so they fit...you might have to do a little tweaking like I did but they're a great start to work with!! Figured I'd note this for anyone else wanting to install a light bar on a TB!!!

I had the same problem searched for months and couldn't find anything made for a TB..then one day I was looking at a buddy's Silverado and realized the mounts for it would fit flush in the jam so that what i did.. the bar sits pretty right above my windshield!

Last edited by a moderator:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There are mounts made for the TB just not by a commercial big name.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
could you point me in the right direction?

There was a member back in 2015 that was trying to make and sell custom brackets for this platform. He never got any traction and hasn't been back on here since then. If you aren't up to the task of fabricating your own, you'll likely need to find a shop, or someone with the skills and tools locally, that can tackle this for you.

Reactions: Matt

theywatchintv

Jun 9, 2021
Covington, VA
There was a member back in 2015 that was trying to make and sell custom brackets for this platform. He never got any traction and hasn't been back on here since then. If you aren't up to the task of fabricating your own, you'll likely need to find a shop, or someone with the skills and tools locally, that can tackle this for you.
i actually found some magnetic mounts that were pretty cheap. i’ll let you guys know how they work!

corky

Jan 23, 2012
Portland OR
Hey guys. I spent most of my morning researching how to mount an LED bar on the tracks for the cross bars on my roof. Looked on ORTB and there's some ideas over there but I'm a simple guy. I'm thinking of just using a washer below the track with maybe a wing nut (on each side) to secure a 42" bar. :undecided:

I'm not doing any off-roading where this bar has the potential to get ripped off. My rig is my DD. :thumbsup:

Thoughts?
I made these today for a 50" curved bar I had, still have to paint and mount the switch but if anyone likes them I'll have the template available and some quick bending instructions

Attachments

• IMG_20211109_161505016_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211109_161505016_HDR.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211109_161512162_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211109_161512162_HDR.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211109_161517962_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211109_161517962_HDR.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 6

Forum Statistics

Threads