Motor Mount - GM takes care of owners. Not!

dirtbikingdad

Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
First post here at GMT. I was quadhauler on Tvoy and was told about this great, less commercial site. Anyway, after about 6 mos of shopping for a left motor mount at the dealer, my local shops and then the dealer again and then gmpartsdirect twice, I got the "Dear John" from GMPD stating that the part was moved from national backorder to no longer available. What a shame. This past weekend, I went ahead and cabled the motor down using some 1/4" steel, vinyl coated cable, some clamps and a piece of aluminum angle. Anyway, I e-mailed GM customer service today and I received a call within 2 hours. Great response I do admit. He had taken the time to contact my local dealer and confirm the unavailability and was surprised that it was no longer available. Mine is a 2004. However, he was no help. He asked if I had contacted Advance and I went on to explain my quest for the mount via multiple sources and how I was suggested to visit a salvage yard for the part by the dealer. (That's like buying used shocks and brakes!) He (GM customer service) also suggested the aftermarket and I explained the quality issue and the current inflated cost ($245) on ebay and that it was not currently available from other, more normal sources. I continued to mention how the mount fit the SSR, Envoy, Saab and all other lines that shared the GMT360 platform; up to 2009! Again he was surprised but could only offer sites for CLASSIC Chevy truck parts, after explaining how suppliers drop certain parts and GM has no control. BS! GM, (IMHO) in order to support the owners and the products they make should require a supplier to make mount "A" if they want to supply GM with mounts "B", "C", "D, etc. Finally, I explained that I understood that my vehicle is a 2004, but if I owned a 2009 Saab (I was looking at a Saab dealership across the street at the time.), which is the same mount, I would be really upset. What would the Saab dealer, or Chevy dealer for that matter, do if I owned a 2009 vehicle and came in for a mount replacement? Just say "sorry"?????

I love GMs fit, feel and quality, but this will make me think twice the next time I buy a vehicle; which will be within the next year or so.

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
I've had my share of disapointments with GM customer service, but I don't quite understand the issue here.

I just checked Napaonline.com, and they have a motor mount for my '06 V8 Envoy for $80.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I'm thinking about replacing my motor mounts too because of vibration (after I confirm) and hope I can get some.

crmcknight

Dec 16, 2011
Pittdawg said:
Wait a minute, they don't manufacture factory motor mounts for our vehicle anymore?

Something doesnt sound right... I understand that the OP's vehicle is a 2004, but the same mount would have been used through the 2009 MY as he stated, as the GMT 360's have only been out of production since December 2008... That's A LOT of vehicles on the road that are going to have to rely on the aftermarket world for the part.

... :confused: ...

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Almost a year ago I replaced the left mount on my 5.3. I ran into the same issues you talk about and finally found a mount for a 2006 SSR, Part # 15255898. At GM Parts Direct it it is now $72.85.

The mount I bought was listed for a 2006 SSR RH Mount.
The new mount came with brackets for the Right side so I removed the brackets and installed the new mount to my existing brackets for the Left side.

I took an hour to change, but I don't have 4WD.

Quadhauler/Dirtbikingdad, I posted all of this information and a diagram on the OS in the thread you replied to on 1/14/12. you should check out post #10 of the thread.

dirtbikingdad

Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
BRomanJr said:
Almost a year ago I replaced the left mount on my 5.3. I ran into the same issues you talk about and finally found a mount for a 2006 SSR, Part # 15255898. At GM Parts Direct it it is now $72.85.

The mount I bought was listed for a 2006 SSR RH Mount.
The new mount came with brackets for the Right side so I removed the brackets and installed the new mount to my existing brackets for the Left side.

I took an hour to change, but I don't have 4WD.

Quadhauler/Dirtbikingdad, I posted all of this information and a diagram on the OS in the thread you replied to on 1/14/12. you should check out post #10 of the thread.

It was your reply that had me hoping I would be able to get the right mount and swap brackets. I ordered the same part it went to nat back order once and I cancelled the order hoping to find one somewhere else through a massive internet search. Being unsuccessful, I then ordered it again and then cabled the motor down for the wait, it stayed on "order" until I checked on it after almost a month. It then went "national back order" and then they cancelled the order. I have looked at most shops without success. I wasn't aware that you could actually purchase from napaonline. I'll check there too. Thanks. You can still see the mount at GMPD. I checked yesterday after it was cancelled. Kind of false hope.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
dirtbikingdad said:
It was your reply that had me hoping I would be able to GE the right mount and swap brackets. It went to nat back order once and I cancelled th order hoping to find one. I then ordered it again, it stayed on order until I checked on it after almost a month. It then NBO and then they canceled the order. I have looked at most shops without success. I wasn't aware that you could actually purchase from napaonline. I'll check there too. Thanks. You can still see the mount at GMPD. I checked yesterday. Kind of false hope.

I didn't realize that was the NBO you were mentioning, sorry to give you that false hope.
There were a few part #s for the SSR mounts when I got mine, maybe one of the others is still available? I don't have the part numbers anymore.

dirtbikingdad

Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
n0kfb said:
I've had my share of disapointments with GM customer service, but I don't quite understand the issue here.

I just checked Napaonline.com, and they have a motor mount for my '06 V8 Envoy for $80.

You will when you sort only for the V8. I just looked and the wonderful mount proudly displays; until you click on the 5.3 and remove the I6 from the sort list. Sorry.

Attachments

• sort.jpg
    sort.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • sorted.jpg
    sorted.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

dirtbikingdad

Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
BRomanJr said:
I didn't realize that was the NBO you were mentioning, sorry to give you that false hope.
There were a few part #s for the SSR mounts when I got mine, maybe one of the others is still available? I don't have the part numbers anymore.

I've checked several. I've combed the TV site and all the pics that were posted. Boggles my mind. Looked at Toyota Tundras last night. :frown:

I guess, by reducing support and parts inventory, is just one of the great ways that GM made it possible to have a record earnings year. How do you think the shop feels when they shrug their shoulders and say they cannot repair a customers vehicle? From the consumer side, what if I was unknowledgable, was enjoying my $40K+ (assuming) 2009 Saab 9x7 and brought my 20K mile vehicle in for a bump that occurred when I left traffic lights or passed someone and they then preceded to tell me that they did not have the part and to not take off so fast or pull anything?

I'm sorry to vent, but this is asinine and just plain unacceptable.

dirtbikingdad

Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Pittdawg said:
Wait a minute, they don't manufacture factory motor mounts for our vehicle anymore?

If you have a 6 cylinder, you're fine. If not from GM, but also from many aftermarket sources. At this time, there is only one aftermarket supplier for the V8 mount, but you can only find it in one or two places and at highly inflated prices. I refuse to pay 3-6 times the true value of the mount. My cable will last until the market is again saturated and I can purchase one for less than $100. I think. :eek:

dirtbikingdad

Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Still looking and found this:

Westar Mounts @Ebay $290
DEA Mounts @Ebay $170
DEA Mounts @ Rock Auto $140 (not listed in catalog though)

dirtbikingdad

Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
n0kfb said:

I replied to your post yesterday Dan, with pics from Napaonline. It's waiting for a moderator or something for approval. What you are seeing are the I6 mounts. When you filter out the six cylinder results, you'll understand the issue. However, if you see my post before this one, there are some options. They are just a little harder to find. Still overpriced for an aftermarket mount though. Unfortunately, I have not read good things about DEA mounts.
Anyone have any good stories about their product?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online