Mobility Scooter / Wheelchair Boom Lift

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
I was just wondering if anyone has installed a mobility scooter or wheelchair boom lift in the back of their Trailblazer or Envoy. Just trying to get some ideas or possibly brand names and models that people have used successfully. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a picture of what I'm thinking of installing.

View attachment 28834

Attachments

• Bruno-Curb-Sider-shown-with-scooter-in-SUV.jpg
    Bruno-Curb-Sider-shown-with-scooter-in-SUV.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 17

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Since Day 1 on the predecessor site to Trailvoy even (tbecentral.com) I don't recall anybody ever doing this sort of project. I suspect the folks who need mobility chairs (or their caregivers) are not forum sort of folks.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I've done work with handicap persons, skiing!, and they ALMOST always roll in a Dodge mini van or Ford cargo van

A starting point

Forums Home - Pride Mobility

Hope this helps, good luck

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks guys. I will check out the Pride mobility Forums and see what I can find. I really don't want to change vehicles. I still love my 2003 Trailblazer.....besides it's only got 45,000 miles on it!!! It's just barely broken in!!! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mounce

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I am sure if height allows, you could beef up rear suspension (springs/shocks) for the extra weight and have a shop in or around chi-town install for a price... If you're like me, your TB is worth more to you than what someone will give you.

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
I am sure if height allows, you could beef up rear suspension (springs/shocks) for the extra weight and have a shop in or around chi-town install for a price... If you're like me, your TB is worth more to you than what someone will give you.

Yup, I still love my baby!!! Not getting rid of her anytime soon!!! And yes, I'm talking about my Trailblazer!!! LOL

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
Think you challenge will be height, In know my '07 Envoy only has about 33 inches height clearance. Most lifs on this site require 37". The one that uses the trailer hitch would be the easiest to mount. Beyond height problem fabricating a solid floor mount arrangement would be your other challenge. Transporting a Wheelchair or Scooter Inside a Van or SUV

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Team Dougherty said:
Does the scooter need to be inside?

How about this?

Wheelchair and Mobility Scooter Hitch Carrier - Aluminum

Yes the scooter has to be inside the vehicle. I don't want my wife to have to deal with snow or rain or covering it with a tarp. Thanks though.

I found some pictures of what I'm thinking of doing. If this can be done in Dodge Durango, I think I can do it in my Trailblazer too. Here are the pics. My wife's scooter is basically the same model as the one in the pics.

View attachment 28994

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!l4FBCq4ftwuBRgUctqePQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!l4FBCq4ftwuBRgUctqePQ~~60_57.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 16
  • $(KGrHqJ,!qYFEyUIR!9yBRgUctvKg!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!qYFEyUIR!9yBRgUctvKg!~~60_57.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 16
  • $T2eC16V,!)kE9s4,!!jtBRgUcvth,g~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16V,!)kE9s4,!!jtBRgUcvth,g~~60_57.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
  • $T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngNEvBRgUctvsyw~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngNEvBRgUctvsyw~~60_57.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 17
  • $T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stuR2BRgUctnzEg~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stuR2BRgUctnzEg~~60_57.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 16

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Ok guys, I've finally purchased a scooter lift that will work with our Trailblazer. My next project before I install it is to run the power wires for the lift. The hoist motor on the scooter lift is rated at 25 amps max. The power wire connected to the scooter lift is 10 gauge with a 30 amp inline fuse. The lift is rated to pick up 300 pounds and our scooter is only 100 pounds. The lift will obviously only be used when the vehicle is parked and will be the only electrical draw on the system when it is being used. My question is, can I tap the positive terminal on the rear fuse block under the rear seat to power the lift? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Roadie???? Ha-Ha!!!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
There is a 125 Amp fuse feeding the rear fuse box so you should be able to tap power there. You've already noted the lift has its own fuse.

I tapped power for my amateur radio VHF/UHF rig there but that is 9 Amps max.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I recall it being said you can safely pull 40A or 50A from that rear fuse block.

As far as suspension, at least the TB won't look all goofy with the rear end jacked in the air like they do to those minivans most of the time.

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
No seat heaters on our Trailblazer, so no worries there. :smile: I will be sure to tell the wife not to play with the windows like a little kid when I'm using the hoist........I'm sure that will go over really well with her. Ha-ha. Thanks so much Roadie and the guys. I really appreciate all of your input. It puts my mind at ease when I'm doing projects like this. I will be sure to post some pics after I finish installing the lift. Thanks again!!!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
You're fortunate!

I saw a man once in a TrailBlazer (who was a veteran even!) who had the get-up where you put the scooter on a platform that comes off the trailer hitch. He had nobody with him and told me that he pretty much has to use it, which makes me think of the poor guy somehow getting it up there (maybe a ramp I didn't see?) and then probably having to lean on the side of the vehicle the whole way to the driver's seat, as nobody was with him.

I wish I could run into him again, an idea like this may be up his alley.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
It was a metal bar coming out, and a platform on top of the bar. There appeared to be no hinges, or hydraulics or motors.

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
That poor guy. I hate to see people struggle.

It took me a while to figure out which lift I wanted to get and I still had to do some modifications to the lift to get it to work in the Trailblazer. I ended up going with the Bruno Curb-Sider lift VSL-6000. I got really lucky finding it only 30 away minutes from my house and lets just say I got an unbelievable deal on it!!! I think I have all the kinks worked out now and will probably start installing it tomorrow. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks.

ramlight

Jun 17, 2012
I can help with part of your question. I haul a large companion 2 scooter on a Harmar powered lift. OEM replacement shocks on rear. Scooter weighs about 135# with batteries and the lift adds another 110#. Often forget it is behind me. The TB handles it well.

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for the info Ramlight.

Well, I finally got the lift installed and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out!!!

I didn't want to drill any holes in the vehicle, so I ended up installing a 1/4" aircraft grade aluminum plate and bolted it down using the existing tie down bolt holes in the cargo floor. I installed 3/8" bolts up through the aluminum plate and bolted the lift to the plate with the rubber cargo mat in between them.

As the pics show, I used washers to build the plate up to the carpet height because when I bolted it down without them the plate sunk down too far down into the padding and carpet.

I also had to cut the main vertical steel post of the lift to lower it enough for the boom section to swing in and out without hitting the top of the cargo opening.

I ended up using the positive terminal under the rear seat for power and one of the rear seat studs for a ground and it worked out perfect! (Thanks Roadie)

I lost the use of the cargo floor storage area, but it was a small price to pay to make it easier on my back and now my daughter can take my wife out anytime they want to go somewhere and she can put the scooter in and out of the Trailblazer with ease.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it! Now on to the pics!!!

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 9
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 9

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
More pics....

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 7

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Last ones...

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 7
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 7

steve4459

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
ramlight said:
I can help with part of your question. I haul a large companion 2 scooter on a Harmar powered lift. OEM replacement shocks on rear. Scooter weighs about 135# with batteries and the lift adds another 110#. Often forget it is behind me. The TB handles it well.
Hey Ramlight, post up some pics of your lift. I would really like to see how yours looks too!!!

As far as weight goes, my wifes scooter is around 100 pounds, the aluminum plate is around 40 lbs. and the lift is around 85 lbs. and I don't notice it back there at all. When you look at the Trailblazer from the side, it looks completely normal, meaning that I don't see the rear of the vehicle sagging at all. I have Bilstein shocks in the rear, but I'm not sure if they really help or not.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online