missing something on air hose?

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
so, am i missing something in there? sensor or something? and also how the hell do i read the air filter gauge on this thing?
View attachment 33442

Attachments

• 20140206_113136.jpg
    20140206_113136.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Looks like the IAT sensor is missing from that hole you circled. I don't know much about those gauges, I don't like em and I usually actually lay eyes on the filter to tell if it needs replaced.

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Envoy_04 said:
Looks like the IAT sensor is missing from that hole you circled. I don't know much about those gauges, I don't like em and I usually actually lay eyes on the filter to tell if it needs replaced.

see i figured it would be a sensor but i dont see a connection for the back of it. that is weird. im going to check tomorrow thoroughly

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Yup that would be the IAT (intake air temp) sensor..

sy4yzusa.jpg

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
That should be the intake air temperature sensor. Hopefully it's hanging down behind the hose.

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
lets hope and pray that its laying behind it somewhere...what happens if i dont put it back on? i mean i have def never seen it on there.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Without the sensor, the computer should be throwing a code. If the sensor is there, not being cooled by the airstream of the intake, the computer will not be using the right data for the injectors, and your fuel trims may be inaccurate. The O2 sensor in closed loop mode should adjust things, but it's not optimum.

Worst thing is you're letting unfiltered air in past your air filter. At least duct tape up the hole while you look for your sensor and harness.

The red/green indicator is just silly and GM removed it in later years. You should be inspecting your air filter a LOT more often than you would notice anything on the indicator. It's for those idiot owners who pay good money for a machine only to ignore its required maintenance.

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
The_Roadie said:
Without the sensor, the computer should be throwing a code. If the sensor is there, not being cooled by the airstream of the intake, the computer will not be using the right data for the injectors, and your fuel trims may be inaccurate. The O2 sensor in closed loop mode should adjust things, but it's not optimum.

Worst thing is you're letting unfiltered air in past your air filter. At least duct tape up the hole while you look for your sensor and harness.

The red/green indicator is just silly and GM removed it in later years. You should be inspecting your air filter a LOT more often than you would notice anything on the indicator. It's for those idiot owners who pay good money for a machine only to ignore its required maintenance.

ill look in the back of the hose to see if the sensor just fell out and thats why the vehicle is not throwing a code. it is weird tho. i recently changed both o2 sensors tho (sept 2013).

the only code that the car is throwing is the p0440 and my oil gauge keeps going up and down when stoped (rpm does not change) when the car warms up after changing the oil pressure switch (i did notice a glob of putty looking cement between the spline disconnect and the oil pan that looks like a leak is coming from there since the patch was crappily done.

maybe i am due for an ail filter. i havent changed it since i got the car at least a year ago because they had just done a tune up on the car with sparks, fuel filter, air filter.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The air filter gauge is semi-useless with anything besides OEM filters, anyway. Performance filters will throw it off, etc. etc. if it works how I imagine, which is pretty much just to gauge resistance to flow.

A new air filter is a good idea, and at the (relatively) low price point for a replacement, should be pretty far up on your list. Replacing it gives you the peace of mind of having a known-good filter, and allows you to know its last service interval, although I believe the air filters are supposed to be good for 50,000 miles according to the manual, assuming you're not in dirty/dusty conditions.

Get a good check on the possible leak. My suggestion is to clean the area - as in spotless - and watch for any fresh oil to show up. Of course, if you see an actual hole you definitely know you have a problem. Make sure also that your oil is properly filled, and with 5w30 oil. The 2002 should throw an oil level low error if it's actually low so I'm rather curious if there isn't a sludge buildup causing intermittent-failing oil pressure.

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
IllogicTC said:
The air filter gauge is semi-useless with anything besides OEM filters, anyway. Performance filters will throw it off, etc. etc. if it works how I imagine, which is pretty much just to gauge resistance to flow.

A new air filter is a good idea, and at the (relatively) low price point for a replacement, should be pretty far up on your list. Replacing it gives you the peace of mind of having a known-good filter, and allows you to know its last service interval, although I believe the air filters are supposed to be good for 50,000 miles according to the manual, assuming you're not in dirty/dusty conditions.

Get a good check on the possible leak. My suggestion is to clean the area - as in spotless - and watch for any fresh oil to show up. Of course, if you see an actual hole you definitely know you have a problem. Make sure also that your oil is properly filled, and with 5w30 oil. The 2002 should throw an oil level low error if it's actually low so I'm rather curious if there isn't a sludge buildup causing intermittent-failing oil pressure.

there is no code when the oil gauge dances up and down (only happens when the car is warmed up and when im stopped and the rpm stay the same). when the gauge goes down it tells me check gauges but disapears once i accelerate. no code at all. i posted a picture of the glob somewhere here.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
mrjean said:
there is no code when the oil gauge dances up and down (only happens when the car is warmed up and when im stopped and the rpm stay the same). when the gauge goes down it tells me check gauges but disapears once i accelerate. no code at all. i posted a picture of the glob somewhere here.

Perhaps just a bad stepper motor behind the cluster? If you have not had problems with them yet you are blessed

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
dla442 said:
Perhaps just a bad stepper motor behind the cluster? If you have not had problems with them yet you are blessed

u know i was thinking about that...would it be just buying the stepper motor and replacing behind the cluster? that easy?

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
The_Roadie said:

ill order the stepper motor from ebay and hopefully it gets here by saturday so i can do it at the shop im working at. im going to try changing the switch once again (since they are sending me a replacement), clean the area really well and keep an eye on it. ill change the stepper motor just in case since its been giving me issues. im getting ready to sell it in a few months and while i have it i want to make sure its working fine. just order my defrost actuator $69 and my mode for $35. God i hate the 2002...everything is different. i still havent checked the friking iat sensor since i was dropped off at work and completely forgot to check.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
mrjean said:
ill order the stepper motor from ebay and hopefully it gets here by saturday so i can do it at the shop im working at. im going to try changing the switch once again (since they are sending me a replacement), clean the area really well and keep an eye on it. ill change the stepper motor just in case since its been giving me issues. im getting ready to sell it in a few months and while i have it i want to make sure its working fine. just order my defrost actuator $69 and my mode for $35. God i hate the 2002...everything is different. i still havent checked the friking iat sensor since i was dropped off at work and completely forgot to check.

I think I paid 20 bucks on eBay for a whole set for the dash. While your back there..might as well do them all as you have to take off the indicator needles anyway. You can count on another going bad if you don't do them all while it's torn apart. I bought a nice fine point solder iron, a solder remover/sucker and solder with the flux already in it(small gage stuff). So for about 50 bucks and your time you got a new dash. Also check to see if any of your background or system lights are out, just as easy to replace while it's apart.

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
dla442 said:
I think I paid 20 bucks on eBay for a whole set for the dash. While your back there..might as well do them all as you have to take off the indicator needles anyway. You can count on another going bad if you don't do them all while it's torn apart. I bought a nice fine point solder iron, a solder remover/sucker and solder with the flux already in it(small gage stuff). So for about 50 bucks and your time you got a new dash. Also check to see if any of your background or system lights are out, just as easy to replace while it's apart.

found the iat, it was stuck behind the coil...this saturday going to check everything else out.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
mrjean said:
found the iat, it was stuck behind the coil...this saturday going to check everything else out.

Cool! :thumbsup:

Wonder how it got down there in the first place? :undecided:

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Envoy_04 said:
Cool! :thumbsup:

Wonder how it got down there in the first place? :undecided:

no idea. it was caught on something. seems like it was down there for a while...however, it could of been me when i cleaned my TB last spring. rookie move. i wonder how much better the car will ride.

cant wait to tackle the oil pressure gauge thing. my stepper wont get here until monday tho :sadcry: planning on getting rid of the truck in a few months for something hybrid-ish, pls dont kill me. the gas is killing me. me my wife and my three kids. xl is way to big. at 13miles per gallon pumping about $70-80bucks a week here in boston, ma. thats a hybrid car payment where i can fill up the tank with 40-50 bucks and go about my business all month. we will see. def fixing it up before i sell it. making sure all actuators are fixed, all sensors, etc etc. motor wise it will be good...outside wise..well beuty is in the eye of the beholder.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
That what I love about these tb's...pretty easy to fix, reliable motor train and not too bad on the gizmos for electronics. My wife wants a new Acadia but not ready to spend 50k on a car. Only 120k on our and the interior is still great and the exterior is spotless. I'm a bit anal on maintenance and keeping clean, especially with kids being in it for 10 years now. I'm sure your retail will be fine ours still holding a good 9-10k in our market for and loaded LT. I think in the past two years it is just starting to cost us repair money with the exception of normal wear tear items. Couldn't be more pleased with a vehicle

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online